The role of traditional journalism in modern socieity

navigator4

Reaction score
Why don't they just close the place down? Who cares about their biased reporting and ridiculous editorials.

Re: Boston Globe Site Redevelopment | Dorchester

Why don't they just close the place down? Who cares about their biased reporting and ridiculous editorials.

Yah, cause who needs the press. It's not integral to a functioning democracy or anything.

Yah, cause who needs the press. It's not integral to a functioning democracy or anything.

On the other hand, are there any trustworthy sources left in America? Journalism is dead. What we are left with are opinions posing as fact, nonexistent (or worse, Twitter) "sources", and a total monopoly on information by a centralized few.

My faith and trust in the media is at an all-time low.

Journalism is dead.

Yes, journalism is definitely dead.

images

Yes, journalism is definitely dead.

No idea what that is. Rather than argue, let me rephrase: Mainstream media journalism is dead.

EDIT: I feel like the contents of that movie happened before the Twitter Age. Twitter is probably the worst invention of my lifetime.

Most of the time the "liberal" mainstream media aligns with the media of the rest of the free world. Occupy coverage was an exception. I'm getting really sick of all this russian style disinformation about our media and govt lately.

I'm getting really sick of all this russian style disinformation FROM our media and govt lately.

I fixed this for you. We really need another Teddy Roosevelt type figure to break up the current monopolies running our country like a corporate oligarchy. For those of you familiar with the book 1984, I'd say we're right around Orwell's 1980 by now. It's not going to get better.

EDIT: Here's one example out of a million
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ya...us-intelligence-sources/ar-BBwZnxI?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited:

Didn't the Phoenix come out with the investigation on the sex abuse scandal first?

Numerous news outlets had covered isolated incidents of sex abuce by the clergy.

The Boston Globe Spotlight Team did the hard digging to figure out we were literally dealing with hundreds of cases, and hundreds of priests, and that the Church was actively complicit in the coverup -- moving the priests involved with an active reassignment program with time outs to let things cool down.

Numerous news outlets had covered isolated incidents of sex abuce by the clergy.

The Boston Globe Spotlight Team did the hard digging to figure out we were literally dealing with hundreds of cases, and hundreds of priests, and that the Church was actively complicit in the coverup -- moving the priests involved with an active reassignment program with time outs to let things cool down.

One wonders if there will ever be another investigation of that magnitude. There certainly is enough corruption to go around. Investigative journalism seems dead, unless it's a targeted hit piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
I'm getting really sick of all this russian style disinformation FROM our media and govt lately.
I fixed this for you. We really need another Teddy Roosevelt type figure to break up the current monopolies running our country like a corporate oligarchy. For those of you familiar with the book 1984, I'd say we're right around Orwell's 1980 by now. It's not going to get better.

EDIT: Here's one example out of a million
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/yah...nxI?li=BBnb7Kz

While the internet was the death knell for print, the greater media monopoly issue is a direct result of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Title 3 lifted the ban on media cross ownership. We've gone from 50 major corps giving us the news to 8. It's also wreaked havoc in the music industry with many stations owned by the same companies and no local presence whatsoever except the signal.

Btw we should take this conversation to the general board before people get mad. Also it was widely known people were being monitored long ago. Never was news to me, and I willingly signed away my privacy to the govt anyways for my job.

Back