The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

Curious design choices here. The Sudbury and the future smaller residential tower are clearly influenced by the JFK across the street and blend well. The State Street Tower is meant to be a stand-out building, and takes advantage of the many viewing angles - the view up the Charles will be first class.
What about the lower rises though? They certainly don't match anything else along the greenway, and show a pretty lazy office-park design. They are a few years away, but I'd be amazed to see a seaport-box approved here.

The layout and footprints of the buildings actually seem well-thought out to me. The buildings line up with Canal Street, which is ripe to be pedestrianized and the city has pondered/explored with that possibility in the past, and once it hits this development, there will be the option to cut diagonally to the Greenway on one side and diagonally to the Boston Public Market entrance and potential future development(s) at the JFK low-rise and City Hall Plaza.

The interaction between the facade of the building facing the Greenway and the Greenway itself is a little difficult to pull off successfully, as the bottom floor is mostly a bus station. The upper floors could be a little more creative, and I haven't seen any real plans for the low-rises, apart from a ground floor plan and some flashy renders, but when there is discussion, the term 'botique office & retail' is used, so I wouldn't be too afraid of boring/low-effort designs going in here..

that building is aggressively ugly and has a serious negative impact on the overall skyline. one federal is right up there for bragging rights, too.

I absolutely abhor the reason why theres pink/orange undertones in the photos, but, standing on its own the photos have a really nice pop with that lighting.

that building is aggressively ugly and has a serious negative impact on the overall skyline. one federal is right up there for bragging rights, too.
Lol I respect the strong take! Its fine enough in my book, I appreciate it doesnt try to pull any cheap parlor tricks.

I absolutely abhor the reason why theres pink/orange undertones in the photos, but, standing on its own the photos have a really nice pop with that lighting.

The pink undertone on the last 2 pics is because it was around 7 pm by that point. The pics were taken last Friday, so I don't think the smoke had arrived yet and it was just normal sunset colors.

Sunset views from the condos are tremendous: especially looking toward the northwest from a floorplate aimed at the Charles. The river appears to cross beneath the building since you do not notice its turn at the Hatch Shell (and Beacon Hill is rather flat from that perch).

However, the waning sunlight glinting off of the Harbor in a SE/E/ENE view is more impressive to me because there are more elements at the near, and intermediate, distance that enhance depth perception before your scope settles on the water.

Back