The Ultility Poles and Wires of Portland, ME

Here's the classic dead-bird-in-the-wires photo from July 31, 2021 - photo credit goes to @Portlander

IMG_2008.jpg

Not at all :p

But seems like a good thread to post this Hopper vs. Templeton comparison I did a few years back. Mr. Hopper was a fan of Portland's utility poles as well.

Edward Hopper vs. Corey Templeton by Corey Templeton, on Flickr
This is funny - my dad used to paint and I always thought it was funny that he included telephone poles in his work. I'd leave them out.

But seems like a good thread to post this Hopper vs. Templeton comparison I did a few years back. Mr. Hopper was a fan of Portland's utility poles as well.
Corey, you create art regardless.

But that Hopper painting is interesting to me for capturing that building that apparently stood on the site of the old W.L. Blake pipe shop. (Blake's had the big yard on Franklin where the Hilton is today from which they sold long lengths of pipe, and the shop at the back of their parking lot, where the Sea Grill / Law School building is today, where they did things like threading.)

Another thing regarding power lines in Portland....do these impede planting trees in some locations? I'm guessing it does.

Not at all :p

Edward Hopper vs. Corey Templeton by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

Is there any way that is the very same piece of wood?
The loose, dangling wires taped to the side of the pole is a work of art
A9BB900D-3F74-4ABB-BF7C-4928CD33BCFA.jpeg

This is the bottom of that same pole. Like something you'd see in the window at MECA.

I was in the Philippines recently, and that's what a big percentage of their power lines look like. Walk around Manila and you'll be dodging wires all day!

Portland, Maine....the Manila, Phillipines of the Northeast.....ayuh.

I avoid this page because CMP literally makes my blood boil and I don't know why the State/City allows utilities to do whatever the f@#$ they want - but we are putting some stuff underground around Mercy. ~ C

Back