Working class square with flea market.

0030.jpg

Bourgeois enclaves with big back yards.

0040.jpg

Intersection.

0042.jpg

Elegant street, chic shops.

0044.jpg

Greenway with small scale (palatial at upper right).

0050.jpg

Interspersed: two scales, two eras. Footprints.

0110.jpg

City Hall Plaza: no trees, no grass, just people.

0120.jpg

Big church buried in urban fabric.

0140.jpg

Formality.

0142.jpg

Almost too neat?

0144.jpg

A form of relief.

0150.jpg

Medieval core. You can still see where the walls were.

0151.jpg

Bohemian district (sort of).

0152.jpg

Twentieth Century.

0160.jpg

Goes on forever.

0205.jpg

Goes on forever.

0210.jpg

Old City and old city.

0220.jpg

Yup, pretty old.

0230.jpg

Spot the Gehry.

0240.jpg

The new closes in on the old.

0250.jpg

Like Boston, a river city.

0260.jpg

North End with a bit more sparkle.

0270.jpg

And yet more, perhaps.

0280.jpg

Find the skyscrapers.

I am glad that I don't live in a city where a church steple is the tallest structure. Oh wait, I do. Damn Portsmouth city ordinance!

Last edited:
This sort of density makes me weak in the knees....Nice post ablarc

And to think that 90% of what you see in #2 was built since 1950's...

I miss Praha. :(

I want to go back.

A few more (albeit poor quality) pics for your collection:

Towerview2.jpg

Building2.jpg

Of course it's not all wine and roses outside the city center:

commieblk2.jpg

Last edited:
Boston up until the 1950's had this kind of density.

^ Sure did.

Then along came ideas of modernity, ideals of suburbia, scale of the automobile.

We would have greenery around us, clean-lined buildings, and plenty of room for fresh air, sunshine and or cars...

We would live in Corbusier's world.

The West End made the transition in one big leap.

Irony of it is: it was a European's idea of the future.

It was an easy sell in the U.S., where everyone already owned a car and had no place to keep it or drive it. So to meet our perceived "needs" we re-did (mostly demolished) our cities with convenient parking.

By the time Europeans could buy cars, our example was plain to see. They recoiled in horror at what had become the American "city"; not only was it hideously ugly, it was completely dysfunctional for urban living.

You couldn't walk (who wants to walk beside parking lots?). They resolved they wouldn't let it happen in Europe; no buildings there were ever torn down to make parking lots (except apparently in Poland).

They all own cars now, but they didn't let that destroy their cities. They simply refused to let cars become the form determinant of urban design. In Boston, we're still at it here and there (see the Allston thread, where the BRA is seen mandating on-grade parking for a new project).

Ablarc, what form would this approach to urban design take here today? What is the contemporary equivalent? How would it accommodate the car? Or would it?

Urban Design Today

Ablarc, what form would this approach to urban design take here today? What is the contemporary equivalent? How would it accommodate the car? Or would it?
Ha! briv, you're a prisoner of Zeitgeist theory!

And why not? I gather you're an architect, and most architects are prisoners of Zeitgeist theory. It's drilled into their heads on Day One of architecture school by walking-zombie professors. These guys have only one style to sell --Modernism-- ever since they were brainwashed into ignoring the others.

"Look!" they pitch, "it's Modern Times! There's a new technology and it dictates a new style for us new and different people."

Actually, it's the style they're selling, and that tail wags a dog --including the technology --which in any case was around when Stanford White put it to different (and probably better) stylistic use. The groined vaults of Penn Station were stucco over mesh lath suspended from steel structure --just as they would be today.

I make a living dressing standardized pre-engineered steel frames in designer duds of the client's choice. Would you care for something in a Mediterranean, sir? Or would your committee prefer Colonial? We have a very nice contemporary line (but not too contemporary, of course). Or can I show you something a little in the style of Wright?

It's not architecture, it's styling. As Krier says, "It doesn't matter what you do in the suburbs. Everything is junk."

Where I live there are only suburbs, so I do junk. Philip Johnson, who brought Modernism to America as an ideologue and later had the veil fall from his eyes, referred to it as "whoring."

Nothing in the technology dictates the style.

Except if you say so. And if you say so, perhaps you have an axe to grind.

If it's not the technology, maybe people have changed. "Look!" barked the Modernists, "it's Modern Times! There's a new man out there --straightforward, unpretentious and honorable. He has simple needs and plain taste and he looks like Gary Cooper. He works in a factory and he's the wave of the future. We have to design for him!"

But he moved to Mexico.

All that's left is plutocrats and the bushwah. And they both want something a little fancier, thank you. Hard to do when you're sworn to sackcloth: no fancy stitching, flaps or buttons. Well, maybe you can twist and turn your building till ... wait, I'm getting it ! ... the building's whole shape is fancy!

Nothing in the year on the calendar dictates the style either. Whatever style you work in will be seen eventually as "of its time" by historians who inevitably have perspective --after the razzing from the hecklers has died down. The heckler-in-chief today, the most ardent defender of the current, the entrenched --and the now quite ancient-- academic style, called Modernism: Norman Foster. Read what he has to say about Quinlan Terry.

So here you are, briv, handcuffed, in shackles, head full of Zeitgeist, and chained to you bedpost. Your profs have prepared a nice gag for your mouth, and they are preparing to sit on your face.

Seriously, Modernism is a consciously-chosen style, not a historical inevitability, but if that's all you've been taught, then that's all you can do --unless you take the trouble to teach yourself.

So Modernism has to justify its miserly offerings with a claim of historical inevitability because it's the only sales pitch with any traction with a largely clueless public --still doubtful after all these years. Why? They look around them, and the places they really like are over a hundred years old.

Ablarc, what form would this approach to urban design take here today? What is the contemporary equivalent?
The Modernist approach to urban design was straightforward: they simply substituted suburban design.

To throw people off the scent they called it "city planning."

They turned the built environment inside out; they said space is not between buildings, it surrounds them on all sides. Thus were born setbacks and buffers, now enshrined in zoning laws.

This made the buildings appear more sculptural, since you could now see all four sides of them in the round, instead of just the one side that faced (fa?aded?) the street.

It also put more space between buildings, which the Modernists said should be green. This was an easy sell because it dovetailed with people's desire to own a house in the country like the fat cats --and besides everyone knew that being around chlorophyll improved people's morals and outlook. Ebenezer Howard had said this in his popular and idealistic book, Garden Cities of Tomorrow. Friedrich Engels and other do-gooders signed on, and the the theory was tested at Bournemouth, Letchworth, Cabrini Green, Pruitt Igoe and Columbia Point.

Separating buildings meant you had to walk further to get from one place to another. And anyway the walk got a little boring after you'd seen the same tree gazillion times. There wasn't much happening on the paths of Utopia (well, anyway, not stuff you really wanted to have happen).

So from the get-go they came up with a brilliant solution: we'll put everyone in vehicles to get from one place to another. At first the vehicles were streetcars, but then they were cars. This dovetailed perfectly with Henry Ford's plans, and General Motors bought up the transit systems and took out the streetcars. Since they had to put the cars somewhere, the gardens of Garden City morphed into parking lots. Then the law required these in most places from the start.

So space as unifier had become space as separator.

The suburb is all about territorial rights. You stake your claim and you defend it forever against threat and encroachment from without. When you live in Utopia, you don't want it to change. Not In My Back Yard. In Suburbia, we are all frontiersmen and hermits, and we live in bunkers.

You know how hard it is to change a bunker.

Ablarc, what form would this approach to urban design take here today? What is the contemporary equivalent?

"This approach": I assume you mean the stuff in the photos I posted, the stuff that lives like the North or South Ends or the Back Bay or Beacon Hill.

Nothing has changed, briv, you just build it.

In Boston, you don't even have to change many laws. You do have to change mindsets (what the public theorizes vs. what it observes) and back-scratching procedures (assembling large parcels gives us developers a competitive edge and even a nice FAR bonus from the BRA).

Mostly you have to change the mindset of architects, mired in Zeitgeist theory: "We like Beacon Hill; people like Beacon Hill; they pay a fortune to live there; it's substantially buildable pretty much exactly as is (give or take a few building code provisions); but it would be IMMORAL to emulate it directly because it would not be true to our times.

The Zeitgeist.

So let's set aside the accumulated wisdom and know-how of millennia and agonize around for a century or two to see if we can come up with something different that is at best a distant paraphrase of what we like. The iron law of History, says, you see, that we can no longer have what we like, because the fact that it was done in the past means it can no longer be done in the future. It would be immoral. Plagiaristic. Uncreative.

Think what they would say.

What they would say in the future: "Thank you."

What historians would say: "this is how they built at that time."

What future architects would say: "We returned to sanity and competence after wandering in the woods for a century."

What architects will say this minute if you try it: "You can't do that, it's immoral. Why, it's 2008!"

It's still the Age of Muddlehead.

It's 2008, it's a new millennium; should we perhaps switch to square wheels on our cars to commemorate the changing times? It might, after all, be immoral to keep on rolling on round wheels --so unoriginal-- exactly as though this were still the 20th Century!

In city planning, we tried a century of square wheels. It's time to leave that behind as a failed experiment and get back to the future.

And to think that 90% of what you see in #2 was built since 1950's...
This is true. How much of Munich do you think was left after the War? They just ignored Corbu and the other Twentieth Century theoreticians and did it right. They knew it was right because they had eyes to see and memories to remember --and their judgment wasn't clouded by theories that said right is different at different times. Will the day come when --just to be modern and different-- we dabble in child molesting?

Boston up until the 1950's had this kind of density.
That's right, and the theoreticians took it away. They gave us the new West End.

All three cities I posted are populated mostly by prosperous people who own cars. There are no parking lots where buildings used to stand, though there are parking garages galore, many of them underground.

Before the War, all three of these cities made do with the streetcar because most folks had no cars. Speedy transit wasn't needed to compete.

After the War, when folks began to buy cars, all three cities built subway systems to compete. They didn't tear down buildings to provide convenient parking. They improved the city, they didn't wreck it.

But why even ask? Just look at the pictures. Where's the mystery?

Oh ... it's in the Zeitgeist.

It can't be that simple.

This is Modern Times.

We have to put on our handcuffs before we start to design.

^^ The spirit of Jane Jacobs lives on!

I always look forward to one of your threads, ablarc.

^ Thanks, Joe. How was your trip to New York?

How was your trip to New York?

Initially, overwhelming. Having been my first time visiting and having traveled little as it is, I learned what a big city really was (especially having grown up outside of Worcester). But after that first day, we got comfortable and it was all manageable after that. I enjoyed the Upper West side but spent a bit more time in Midtown than I would've liked and didn't get to see many of the neighborhoods, but that's fine by me; always next time. Only blip that occurred was getting stuck on the AirTrain for almost an hour getting back to JFK. (Have some amateur-ish photos here)

Thanks for asking! :D

Ablarc,

I find your posts to be consistently insightful and have come to enjoy them -- though perhaps I enjoy them because I often agree with them :)

I fully stand with you in saying that both I and the public have grown tired of Modernism and its progeny (including the sort of nostalgic post-modern designs of Robert Stern) due to their manifold aesthetic and city-planning failures. These aren't only academic failures for us: They're failures we've lived through and continue to live in -- it's a rare (and overly contrarian) Bostonian who says he prefers spending time on the Great Plains of City Hall to the North End.

And while I'm a devoted fan of Soviet Constructivism and other idealistic offshoots that came about when the Modernist movement was young, I am sick and tired of the rigidly functional, intellectually lazy, cheap-looking, cynical and eminently copyable schlock that Boston, New York and other cities are filling up with. Moreover, the average person seems to agree with me on the latter part of this point.

My question, then, is not only why does this stuff still get built, but why does it dominate our time so thoroughly and chokingly? Look at Druker's little slice of Framingham, set to take out the beautiful Arlington Building as well as the aesthetically lackluster (though it could be nice with 3 Richard Meier-style floors added to it for contrast) but historically significant Women's Educational and Industrial Union building. Look at the hideous and monstrous Avalon Bay development, on the territory of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Morningside Heights, one of the most beautiful and unique places in New York. Avalon Bay is a latter-day incarnation of Co-Op City, the sort of architectural disaster that New Yorkers generally hope is in their past. Then look at the ~20 19th-century NYC churches slated for destruction this year, to be replaced by the same-old, same-old 37-story glass office building.

Wouldn't a developer be able to demand higher rents and therefore greater profit if he built something people would (God forbid) choose to live in? 15 Central Park West in New York (while far from anything I would call praiseworthy) seems to support this thesis.

The terrible sins of 50 years of the International Style are generally acknowledged by all at this point, but everything is **still built in that style.**

Beyond building aesthetics, even in Boston, a supposedly enlightened city full of Democrats and professors, we continue to encourage car usage via requiring on-site parking for new buildings and refusing to upgrade public transportation in any meaningful way. Given that the city isn't run by Bible-thumping cretins with oil interests who deny the existence of global warming, it seems a bit like fiddling while the entire world burns.

All of the things I have said would find agreement among the larger public, who like pretty 19th-century buildings and walking, shopping, dining, drinking and sleeping in them, and the city government, which would tell you it's progressive on environmental and planning issues.

Yet time and again we make the same mistakes. There are designs I'm excited about in Boston -- the ICA is great, Piano's Transnational looks fantastic, Safdie's museum for the Greenway could be a winner, ditto for 45 Providence, the Clarendon, and so on.

But the larger picture is full of poorly done Modernism, like the Parcel 7 buildings over the Pike, the continuing atrocities at Charles River Park, Druker's latest garbage, so much of the "Seaport District," and so on.

Why is this, when it seems people would prefer (and presumably pay money for) better design?
Why does City Hall, which claims to want to make the city livable, continue to incentivize bad planning?
Who decided that all buildings must be Modern, for better or worse? Is it architecture-school professors, an insular architectural world, or developers? Is it a vicious profit cycle, fueled by developers who are making tons of money and don't want to change their winning formula, and thoughtless, slavish architects who serve them?
Can money be made on smaller, more thoughtful structures, or do contemporary offices and homes need to be built with huge floorplans to generate a return on investment?
When will the reign of Modernism (with post-modernism, etc., etc.) end?
And how can its end by hastened by the rest of us?

And why is the BRA allowing the razing of beautiful old structures when Boston is scarred with parking lots and ugly buildings? I'm generally against government interference in most areas, but there's clearly much rotten in the state of Denmark when it comes to development.

I don't know if anyone at the BRA or in the nation's development community would seriously tell you that 1. postwar Boston design and planning principles are than everything in the city's history before the last 50 years, or 2. that Munich or Prague's old city is not enviable.

Yet they don't do a damn thing to fix the disconnect.

Why?

Just so we are clear.
You are not against Modernism per se, right?
Just the continued strident adherence to principles 50+ years hence?
Boston City Hall, FLW, the Johnson House are all still cool despite their suburban design?
And how does PoMo fit into all this?

Thank you for this great, insightful thread, Ablarc.

Expanding on briv's question: are there any American city examples (large or small) that, in 2008, have rejected "the spirit of the age"?

^ Seaside, FL.

Carmel, CA.

In England, Poundbury.

Arguably the type of reactionism embodied in Seaside is the "spirit of the age". New Urbanism hasn't been insurgent since 1995. It would be far more radical and controversial today to try to, say, bulldoze the South End - or to use a less shocking example, build something akin to a Paul Rudolph government building. And that's as true in the architectural academy as it is among the public at large.

I am sick and tired of the rigidly functional, intellectually lazy, cheap-looking, cynical and eminently copyable schlock that Boston, New York and other cities are filling up with. Moreover, the average person seems to agree with me on the latter part of this point.
"Rigidly functional, intellectually lazy, cheap-looking, cynical and eminently copyable." All those terms except "cheap-looking" can be applied to a Parisian boulevard building from the time of Haussmann. Face it, most buildings must always be "rigidly functional, intellectually lazy, cynical and eminently copyable" --though they don't have to be cheap-looking.

Who decided that all buildings must be Modern, for better or worse? Is it architecture-school professors, an insular architectural world, or developers? Is it a vicious profit cycle, fueled by developers who are making tons of money and don't want to change their winning formula, and thoughtless, slavish architects who serve them?
Yes.

Can money be made on smaller, more thoughtful structures ... ?
Yes, but it's harder.

Of course, we should all be looking for harder things to accomplish; they're apt to be more worthwhile.

When will the reign of Modernism (with post-modernism, etc., etc.) end?
When architects master alternatives. Most architects know nothing else well enough to produce it convincingly.

It's a problem of education.

Back