Tokyo Sky Tree

TikiNYC

Reaction score
The new Tokyo Tower, the "Tokyo Sky Tree" became the tallest structure in Japan only a few days ago when construction took it 5 meters above the 333m Tokyo Tower.

You can see here videos in Japanese showing the construction.

I'm curious as to what some of the free standing architecture buffs here think about it.

img_about_tower.jpg

I'm with the troll on this one. I think it's pretty spectacular.

Of course, the "Sky Tree Beer" featured in the video is even better. Not sure how I feel about the meter long "Sky Tree" horumon (innards, entrails, or what have you...)

Does this break a record or something? Because otherwise I'm going back to sleep.

I think it will also be the tallest structure in Eastern Asia too until one of the Chinese towers overtakes it.

tall things are so passe.. its all about largest hadron collider anyways

Will this be taller than the Burj Dubai?

634 meters, so no.

But it's built on a volcanic chain of islands known for its earthquakes.

Japan.

And at least when you live in Japan, you're not living in finance douchebaggery central, or third world central, so it really doesn't matter what they will build in one dollar a day wagelands.

So there are some pluses. When you visit, you won't have to dodge the sputum and s**t on the street.

If you wouldn't want to encounter those things on the street, then why do you feel the need to cover our forum with them?

634 meters, so no.

But it's built on a volcanic chain of islands known for its earthquakes.

Japan.

And at least when you live in Japan, you're not living in finance douchebaggery central, or third world central, so it really doesn't matter what they will build in one dollar a day wagelands.

So there are some pluses. When you visit, you won't have to dodge the sputum and s**t on the street.

New York?

More like London/HK/ScoobyDoobai.

But both are overshadowed by the 'Hai, where there will be a "bursting of big bad bubble" in the next 12 months.

Last time I checked, I don't think in NYC army generals are running whole swathes of industry while 3/4 of the population get 2 dollar a day.

BUT GUESS WHAT, IT DON'T MATTER

CAUSE SKY TREE F***IN' ROCKS THIS MANS RICEBOWL!

"Finance douchebaggery central" does not really describe any of Hong Kong or London outside of a couple annoying neighborhoods. And Shanghai is not really all that poverty-stricken, either.

It's true that Japan tends less toward extremes of wealth and poverty than these places, but that also gives it its occasionally bland, conformist feel. The dull architecture of the Sky Tree will fit right in among the unassuming towers that plague Tokyo.

More like London/HK/ScoobyDoobai.

But both are overshadowed by the 'Hai, where there will be a "bursting of big bad bubble" in the next 12 months.

Last time I checked, I don't think in NYC army generals are running whole swathes of industry while 3/4 of the population get 2 dollar a day.

BUT GUESS WHAT, IT DON'T MATTER

CAUSE SKY TREE F***IN' ROCKS THIS MANS RICEBOWL!

Finally, a hint of personality beyond the SleepytimeNY billboard.

Back