Trolley Tour Fun

TheBostonian

Reaction score
I took a trolley tour hosted by a Umass Boston professor from the department of Environmental, Earth & Ocean Sciences. It was very dense with Boston info, but he made some comical errors worth noting:

- Boston forbids signs on its buildings with the exception of the State Street Bank, whose sign was removed when the bank was sold.

- "Straight ahead you can see the twin towers of the Federal Reserve"

- "And on your right are the Logan Airport twin towers"

- "This is Russia Wharf" (As he points at a building with a large sign indicating that it is Independence Wharf. Though he might be right about this if Independence Wharf is only the name of a building on the historic Russia Wharf.)

- Boston forbids signs on its buildings with the exception of the State Street Bank, whose sign was removed when the bank was sold.

P-R-U-D-E-N-T-I-A-L is pretty hard to miss. Not to mention Lenox Hotel and Sheraton and Hilton. Then there's a certain oil company sign...

Ron Newman said:

P-R-U-D-E-N-T-I-A-L is pretty hard to miss. Not to mention Lenox Hotel and Sheraton and Hilton. Then there's a certain oil company sign...

Buildings of a certain height are prohibited from having signs on them, State Street Bank and the Prudential Tower being the two exceptions. You'll notice that none of the other towers in Boston have exterior signs near or on the top of the building--you think Bank of America wouldn't have slapped a sign on top of 100 Federal Street if they could? I can't remember what the height restriction is, but it is real. I believe State Street removed the sign from the 225 Franklin Street building which used to be their HQ when they put the sign up at 1 Lincoln.

I'm curious what the height restriction is, then. The Sheraton is tall enough to be considered a 'tower', and its sign is quite prominent.

Back