Two Kansas City Icons: Liberty Memorial, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

EdMc

Reaction score
Liberty Memorial

Dedicated in 1921.
Recognized by Congress as the "National World War I Museum and Memorial"
TripAdvisor's #1 attraction in Kansas City
No. 5 Ranked Museum in the U.S. - Yelp - theworldwar.org

You've heard of Emmy, Tony, Oscar and Grammy? This location receives my Gus Award, Great Urban Setting. A special environment, it makes me want to stay awhile.

Celebrating wedding groups and graduation groups, as well as tourists and locals, marvel at the view.

Two Assyrian Sphinxes guard the south entrance of the Liberty Memorial. “Memory” faces east toward the battlefields of France, shielding its eyes from the horrors of war. “Future” faces west, shielding its eyes from an unknown future.
  • theworldwar.org

Each standing 40-feet tall, four Guardian Spirits watch over the Memorial from the top of the Tower. As protectors of peace, each guardian holds a sword and is named for the virtue it represents: Honor, Courage, Patriotism and Sacrifice.
  • theworldwar.org

To get to the top of the 217 foot tall Liberty Memorial Tower (built in 1926) requires riding an elevator and then climbing 45 steps.
  • theworldwar.org

The Great Frieze measures 148 feet by 18 feet and represents the progression of mankind from war to peace.
  • theworldwar.org

Red poppies have symbolized the First World War since the poem “In Flanders fields the poppies blow …” was published in 1918. - Kansas City Star

Beautiful smiles ahead

EdMc

Reaction score
Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

Opened September 16, 2011
The $326 million structure was paid for with private donations. - New York Times

Kansas City Business Journal July 28, 2016

House Beautiful magazine compiled a list of "The Most Beautiful Places in all 50 states," and the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts took the top spot for Missouri. The venue also received accolades in 2014, landing on a list of the 15 "most beautiful" concert halls in the world, according to building data company Emporis.

Architecture can be sublime, a salute to the Kauffman

EdMc

Reaction score

Doc Severinson, former Tonight Show bandleader, 90th birthday, July 7, 2017

EdMc

Reaction score

Wikipedia -

The technical requirements and exacting standards required of a facility like the Kauffman Center made it one of the most complex structures in the world to design and build. The building, which took nearly five years to complete, contains 40,000 square feet of glass, 25,000 cubic yards of concrete, and 27 steel cables. The main lobby, Brandmeyer Great Hall, is built of a glass ceiling and sloping glass walls that provide a panoramic view of Kansas City to the south. The twenty-seven steel cables on the south façade are anchored in embeds that weigh approximately one and a half tons, and the embeds are an extension of the foundation and bedrock beneath the building. When the steel cables were pulled taut during the construction process, the entire steel structure shifted two to six inches to the south. This tensioning provides stability to the structure and keeps the glass lobby securely in place.

Architect Moshe Safdie, an award-winning modernist known for such buildings as Habitat 67in Montreal, Canada; the Khalsa Heritage Centrein India; the Marina Bay Sandsresort in Singapore; and the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Artin Bentonville, Arkansas, designed the performing arts center.

Last edited:

EdMc

Reaction score
Walking up those steps will make you huff and puff if you’re not young. As soon as I noticed that couple seemingly contemplate whether they should make the attempt, I saw some humor in that and zoomed in from a few blocks away and snapped the picture hurriedly before they dropped their pose.

Liberty Memorial, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and Union Station would be star attractions in any city. I never tire of visiting them because they are just places you want to experience for the architecture, the popularity buzz and one’s awareness of being in a special environment. It’s a nice way to live a moment in time. Urbanism at its best.

The walk from downtown to these attractions is pleasant, traffic is not heavy, you pass through an arts district, lots of brick buildings conveying a sense of yesterday and the charming streetcar comes and goes.