UMass Boston Developments | Columbia Point | Dorchester

statler

Reaction score
This may be part of this thread but it seems more extensive.

The Globe said:
UMass-Boston plans dorms, more traditional campus

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff | December 14, 2007

The University of Massachusetts at Boston plans to dramatically overhaul its crumbling campus by adding academic buildings and reviving a controversial proposal to build the school's first dormitories, part of a large-scale campaign to transform the Columbia Point college into a waterfront showcase.

The preliminary, 25-year plan, which will be presented to the UMass Board of Trustees this morning, would redesign the layout to capitalize on its Dorchester Bay location and replace the university's vast brick plazas with a series of grassy quads linked by pedestrian walkways.

In the first phase of the blueprint, university officials are proposing to spend $750 million over the next decade to build three academic buildings along a central walkway bisecting the campus, two dormitories for 1,000 students, and a 1,000-space above-ground parking garage.

The dormitory proposal, which has drawn surprising support from Mayor Thomas M. Menino, promises to again raise the ire of Savin Hill and Columbia Point residents who have consistently opposed similar proposals in the past.

University officials said the overhaul would reorient the campus to create a close-knit and collegial atmosphere more akin to a traditional liberal arts college than an urban commuter school.

"It will change the whole culture of the campus," Chancellor J. Keith Motley said in a meeting this week with the Globe in which he detailed the school's plans. "It will create a much more open and vibrant community."

The plan does not require city approval, but some state agencies will need to sign off. The university would rely on state funding and accelerated private fund-raising to finance the project and hopes to boost revenue by increasing enrollment over the next two years to about 15,000, an increase of 1,500 students. University officials have not determined the cost of living in the dorms, but say the increased revenues would offset the cost of construction.

The announcement of the plan, developed over the past two years, represents Motley's first major move since becoming chancellor this summer.

The 175-acre campus, which consists mostly of aging structures that date to the early 1970s, has suffered from years of neglect and desperately requires upgrades. Labs are leaky and moldy, infrastructure has deteriorated, and some buildings are not up to code, university officials said. The plans call for leveling the rundown science building and a crumbling parking garage, closed last year when it was deemed structurally unsound.

"We need to bring [the college] forward to the 21st century," said Ellen O'Connor, vice chancellor of administration and finance at UMass-Boston.

The dorms would be built near the Harbor Point Apartments, where more than 3,000 people live. Despite opposition in the past, university officials said the current proposal, which would provide housing for half as many students as earlier plans, has received a more favorable reception from city officials and neighbors.

Menino, who opposed the university's plans in 2003 to build dorms for 2,000 students, said he now supports the idea because university officials have done a better job of soliciting neighborhood opinion and adapting their plans accordingly.

"Getting kids back on campus makes a lot of sense," Menino said by phone yesterday. He said he also supported the university's plan as a whole, though he hoped that university officials present the plan to city officials and neighborhood groups for their opinions.

Overall, "the concept is a good one," Menino said. "Right now it looks like a fortress over there."

But City Council President Maureen Feeney said she and many neighbors remain skeptical about dormitories.

"We all have that concern that once one dorm is built, more will follow," she said.

On the broader plan, Feeney said she supports efforts to replace outdated facilities and quipped that it "will be a good day for Dorchester when MCI-UMass disappears."

"UMass-Boston students and faculty deserve better than what they have," she said.

Joe Chaisson, a longtime member of the Columbia-Savin Hill Civic Association, criticized the university for proposing the dormitories, which he said would disturb family-oriented neighborhoods within walking distance of UMass-Boston.

"They have an agreement with the community that it would be a commuter college and that there would be no dorms," he said. "They will turn family restaurants into college bars."

Some students also oppose dorms for the campus.

Jason Pramas, a doctoral student in public policy who served on a master plan committee, said dormitories signaled a departure from the school's traditional mission of serving working-class, minority, and immigrant students.

"They want white, middle-class students whose families can afford to pay more," Pramas said. "I and a lot of others think that will hurt the school's urban mission."

University officials hope that a revamped campus will help the school raise its profile, attract faculty, and appeal to students, particularly recent high school graduates, who prefer to live on a college campus.

UMass-Boston has traditionally drawn older students, but has recently seen an increase in applications from traditional-age students. In surveys, students who were accepted but did not choose to attend UMass-Boston cited a lack of on-campus housing and the poor condition of the campus as primary reasons for going elsewhere.

"Housing at some point is going to have to happen on our campus," Motley said.

Alex Kulenovic, a UMass-Boston student trustee, said the plan would help create a more active and connected student body.

"It's good to have more students having a traditional college experience," he said. "At the moment, a lot of people march through campus and really don't stick around a lot."

The initial 10-year phase of the project also calls for new tennis and soccer fields, a new track, and reconfiguring the campus's road network, which university officials likened to a speedway. Later phases include more academic buildings.

UMass-Boston is in line to receive $125 million for new academic buildings and repairs in Governor Deval Patrick's proposal to allocate $750 million over the next five years for capital improvements for the state's public colleges. That proposal is pending in the Legislature.

Additionally, the five-campus UMass system approved in September a $2.9 billion budget for capital improvements, the largest allocation in university history, over the next five years. UMass-Boston would receive $381 million of that, although the money depends on state funding.
Link
1197623406_5603.gif

The Herald said:
UMass harbors hopes
Dorms, revamp part of $700M Boston plan

By Scott Van Voorhis | Friday, December 14, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets
Photo
Photo by Umass Boston Renderings

J. Keith Motley, the new chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Boston, yesterday unveiled a sweeping, $700 million-plus plan to revamp the school?s harborside campus.

The proposal, which Motley is now preparing to present to the university?s board of trustees, envisions a total remake of the university?s brick-and-concrete campus, built in the early 1970s.

New academic buildings and student dorms, as well as a series of walkways, green parks and athletic fields would replace the hardtop plaza and surface parking lots that now dominate the campus.

The proposal is laid out in a 25-year-master plan that university officials have spent more than a year working on. The first phase, which covers the next 10 years and will cost between $700 million to $750 million, calls for three academic buildings, a revamp of the Dorchester university?s harborside campus, and possibly as many as 1,000 dorm rooms.

?The goal is to knit back to Boston (both) Columbia Point and the campus,? Motley said. ?It?s going to be a mix of the old and the new.?

The revamp proposal comes at a time when Suffolk and Boston universities, Boston College and others have recently released major expansion plans.

UMass Boston officials are weighing plans for a campus remake after exploring renovation options that proved to be prohibitively expensive. The central campus parking garage, which has developed significant structural problems, alone would cost $160 million to repair, officials said.

Instead, university officials are now moving ahead with plans to tear down some structures, while also dramatically reworking the campus itself. Along with parks and walkways, the current road network connecting the campus to nearby Morrissey Boulevard would also be restructured.

Motley said he hopes to start work soon on the first building, with $125 million set aside in a bill now pending at the State House. The university hopes to match that amount with its own funds.

As UMass Boston pushes ahead with a major revamp of its campus, it also plans to push its enrollment up to 15,000 from 13,433 today, after which it would be capped, Motley said.

A major fund-raising campaign is also in the works, he said.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1050754
ec805372a4_umass_12142007.jpg

NIce to hear they're finally going to update this campus - last time I was there it was in complete disrepair and on it's last legs. It's too bad this involves taking away so much green space, since that was one of the most charming aspects of the campus.

Hopefully once this is built, the state can actually commit money to maintain the campus. It's a rotten shame that a campus can be ignored that much and to that point, especially in a city that considers itself to be such an educational powerhouse.

This is a more exciting masterplan than the BC version--they realize the importance of a "central quad" which BC has ignored.

I am a UMass Boston student/employee and it doesn't look like they are losing much green space. In fact, it looks like they may even be adding some.

"Funny" side note: The "crumbling" garage they speak of is underneath Wheatley building. It has since been closed for fear of it collapsing onto people. Well, I am writing this post as I sit at my desk directly on top of that garage. Does it make sense that they fear it will collapse onto people below, yet still holds 7 floors of offices, classrooms and crowded hallways directly above it? How is it unsafe to be below, but it is safe for my office to be directly on top!?

If anyone ever had a fear that Boston's future was grim, just look at the colleges and universities that are expanding. This plan is fantastic and if UMass keeps the same architectural quality of these new buildings as it had with Campus Center, I think that they will end up with the nicest modern campus in the city, if not the nation.

If anyone ever had a fear that Boston's future was grim, just look at the colleges and universities that are expanding. This plan is fantastic and if UMass keeps the same architectural quality of these new buildings as it had with Campus Center, I think that they will end up with the nicest modern campus in the city, if not the nation.
I definitely agree with this - the location for the campus is rather amazing, and the new student union is a really good building.

If anyone ever had a fear that Boston's future was grim, just look at the colleges and universities that are expanding.

The grim part of Boston's future is that nothing but the universities is expanding.

The logic being that higher ed. institutions are one of Boston's major growth engines (more students, more intellectual capital, etc), so if they are growing, it follows that other sectors of the economy will grow as well.

The education and health sectors, being the only sectors that are growing, is not the problem. The problem is that the city can't keep the people once they leave the universities. We can get them in but we can't get them to stay (too expensive, etc.)

Right. The "growth engine" thing is only tenable up to a point. The expansions are creating a few more service jobs at new student snack bars, maybe, but the universities aren't great incubators anymore, given factors constraining the regional economy.

10-15 years ago, it was realistic to believe that MIT alone was going to spin off enough of the technology industry to make metro Boston competitive with Silicon Valley. It happened for a short period of time, but those local startups didn't survive in the long run.

Likewise, Harvard Business School spun off several of the major consulting firms locally, but they've had to move on to really find enough business to make their names.

Does Boston's inevitable decline mean that I'll someday be able to afford a Back Bay townhouse?

Right. The "growth engine" thing is only tenable up to a point. The expansions are creating a few more service jobs at new student snack bars, maybe, but the universities aren't great incubators anymore, given factors constraining the regional economy.

that's a pretty broad statement to make. i see spin-outs, corp/academy partnerships, and IP licensing going on at a good clip. and i see many hundreds of millions of research dollars coming in from federal and private sources. we are still exporting hundreds of millions of dollars of start-up equity to the other 49 and overseas every quarter and that bucket keeps getting filled up with new ideas -- much of which are directly or indirectly the result of greater boston's research universities.

10-15 years ago, it was realistic to believe that MIT alone was going to spin off enough of the technology industry to make metro Boston competitive with Silicon Valley. It happened for a short period of time, but those local startups didn't survive in the long run.

15 years ago nobody in their right mind thought that. unless they had worked for wang, data general, thinking machines, digital, etc... oh, wait.

its been a long time since boston donated hi-tech leadership to silicon valley.

talking about some monolithic "technology industry" that boston is somehow not competitive in is almost as rich as comparing the MA and CA economies head to head -- still MA actually looks pretty good for ~6m against ~36m, so maybe i'll follow your lead...

Likewise, Harvard Business School spun off several of the major consulting firms locally, but they've had to move on to really find enough business to make their names.

huh? Monitor, BCG, Bain, A.D.Little, and i don't know how many dozen more specialized high-end consulting firms still hole up in greater boston. but you don't expect them to make all their hay in one city do you?

Is that the calf pasture pumping station I see in there.... :)

I'm impressed with important elements of this plan:

Nearly total elimination of surface parking: The closure of the megastructure's garage has led to a proliferation of new surface parking wherever it fits, even on the tennis courts.

Mixed-use dorms: I've always thought UMB's physical isolation has prevented its students from injecting vibrancy into the neighborhood. I know retail in new buildings tends to be all chains, but it will break the Sodexho monopoly on campus.

The dorms themselves: Much of what sucks about UMB could be improved at least a little by adding student housing. Its nonsocial character, low turnout at campus events and its weekend desolation (starting early Fridays) might change.

I find it interesting that the Science Center's labs are singled out as crappy in the reporting. I've been impressed with the computer labs hidden throughout the building that are modern, clean and current. The building itself is odd. After three semester of classes in it, I can still get lost momentarily if I attempt a new route to a lab.

Does Boston's inevitable decline mean that I'll someday be able to afford a Back Bay townhouse?

You'll probably be able to live out this dream once Boston is abandoned after the peak oil crash - but keep a eye out for the carbon-mutants

"Right. The "growth engine" thing is only tenable up to a point. The expansions are creating a few more service jobs at new student snack bars, maybe, but the universities aren't great incubators anymore, given factors constraining the regional economy..."

Huh -- Apparently you haven't been to the Kendal / Cambridge Center stop on the Red Line recently. Or for that matter the complexes surrounding Harvard Medical School, Mass General, etc. etc.

Then again what would you want to have in a city other than eminence or preeminence in:
education
medicine
culture
finance
high tech
bio tech
transportation
visitor / tourist facilities /parks

Throw in some nice historical sites and even a beach or two and some hiking and cross country skiing and you?ve got a pretty desirable location.

Last time I checked the Greater Boston Area had all of the above in spades.

Unfortunately, -- what the area lacks to be the true world leading center of the knowledge economy are places where the people who will work in the knowledge economy can live affordably {from the top flight researchers and business leaders to the technicians

Oh, some improved transportation would be nice -- such as the urban ring {with some relocation to encompass Harvard's Alston campus and the old Charlestown navy yard

While, in the long run it doesn't matter -- we were covered with ice ten thousand years ago and we will be again sometime in the future. In the meantime -- let's see if we can contribute to making Greater Boston the successful location that it can be and should be.

Westy

UMass Boston Kennedy institute

I thought this project had a specific thread but going back I couldnt find it...

Anyways, a friend at Yale School of Architecture is taking a studio with Deborah Berke so I thought I would check out her company's website; apparently, they are designing the new Kennedy Senate institute at UMass Boston, here are some preliminary renders:

http://www.dberke.com/work/pub/emk/index.htm

(click on the image at right to enlarge and scroll through renderings)

The closure of the megastructure's garage...
I'm both amused and gratified by this turn of events. I confess to having worked on these buildings way back when they were born, and their biggest challenge was the thirty-foot structural grid emanating from the garage. I can promise you that it distorted ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in the crippled buildings that were forced to sit on this grid. The grid was ironclad.

Back