UMass Lowell

LowellGuy

Reaction score
UMass Lowell has been on a building spree as of late. There is one project that is fully clad and is nearing completion on the main campus along the Merrimack river. This project is the Emerging Technologies and Innovation Center which is a six story building that will be used for research and classroom space.

http://www.uml.edu/facilities/Capital-Improvements/ETIC/default.html

On the south campus a new academic building was just topped out this week. The building is 4 floors and replaced empty lawn space, it also forms a nice streetwall.

http://www.uml.edu/facilities/Capital-Improvements/HSS/default.html

Also in January a new dorm will be constructed on land that now contains a large lot and a single story building (on the same street that LeLacheur park is on).

http://www.uml.edu/News/stories/2011-12/Aiken-St-Housing.aspx

The University has also built two 6 story parking garages to get rid of surface lots.

Has UML ever advocated for an extension of the Lowell Line? Methinks it would be to the benefit of UML and the city of Lowell to both pitch in on a station between Wilder and Walker streets. Would put things a step closer towards a Nashua extension, too.

I have never heard anything official from UML concerning the extension of the Lowell line or any added stops. Come to think of it UML owns a large parking lot that abuts the tracks you are speaking about that continue on up through Tyngsborough and into Nashua. That would be the perfect spot for another station. I think the school is currently concerned with satisfying the growing need for on campus housing as it has exploded over the past few years. The school has an excellent engineering program (including civil engineering) so someone there must have come up with some interesting plans regarding the train lines. Regardless, I think that an extension of the line up into New Hampshire is needed.

Has UML ever advocated for an extension of the Lowell Line? Methinks it would be to the benefit of UML and the city of Lowell to both pitch in on a station between Wilder and Walker streets. Would put things a step closer towards a Nashua extension, too.

I believe the Lowell line is the same line that will be extended into New Hampshire, connecting to Nashua, Manchester and Concord. The current legislature there is against it, but the vast majority of residents are--it's only a matter of time. I think adding another stop more in the center of Lowell would be a great idea.

There was also a document about planning for continued revitalization of downtown Lowell that I came across about a year ago, advocating for converting the heritage trolley into a real light-rail/streetcar system, connecting to the UML campus, downtown and the existing train station. I'm not sure how much of a pipedream that may have been, but it sounded like a great idea to me.

There was also a document about planning for continued revitalization of downtown Lowell that I came across about a year ago, advocating for converting the heritage trolley into a real light-rail/streetcar system, connecting to the UML campus, downtown and the existing train station. I'm not sure how much of a pipedream that may have been, but it sounded like a great idea to me.

Yes the idea about the light rail streetcar system was pitched by an urban planner that the city hired. I think the city is waiting to make a decision on that while they work on the Hamilton Canal District. The Hamilton Canal District has already seen a few new buildings and rehabs of mills in the lower end of downtown and there are about six more buildings to be built along with a new courthouse. That area is next to the trolley lines that would connect the system to the train station.

Lowell Line doesn't go anywhere near the campus. UML is trying to get in on trolley expansion since there's more abandoned industrial trackage in the city to be had around the canal.

The proposed Lowell Line extension to South Nashua has a planned intermediate stop in North Chelmsford either in the grassy industrial lot between Chelmsford Auto Sales on 3A and the Lighthouse School, or a few hundred feet south on Wotton St. a straight shot from Vinal Sq. Good 4 miles from current Lowell station and 2-1/2 miles from the nearest bridge across the river.

Lowell has come a long way recently. I do not find myself there that often because there is no direct route from my town to Lowell, but it is nice. Many newly converted buildings to now very nice apartments and condos.

The Lowell line, if ever extended to NH, will bring more ridership to the line, and possibly allow for the train to run a bit more often. But it will also bring more people to Lowell which will be good for the city as they do seem to be putting effort into revitalizing parts that need it and overall getting it to grow.

They have many good shows at the I think it is the Tsongas Center. But having a line from up North may bring people down to Lowell for events as well.

According to Google Maps, the rail goes right by the large parking lot at UMass Lowell. Am I missing something? The station is more in downtown area and is a bit of a walk form the school though. Since I see the rail going right by the school, and being next to a huge parking lot, why doesn't the school push for a simple station and stop built at the parking lot rather than a shuttle or trolley? Faster for passengers.

Lowell Line doesn't go anywhere near the campus. UML is trying to get in on trolley expansion since there's more abandoned industrial trackage in the city to be had around the canal.

There's 3 campuses clustered in proximity to eachother, as I understand it.

Two are across the Merrimac from eachother, with one in the Canal District. The third one is right on top of the Lowell Line to Nashua.

hahaha oh Lowell....

I sometimes overhire for a production company that builds scenery for many of the big theaters in the Lowell/Portsmouth area. Yesterday I helped move it out of Lowell and to Marlborough. The grittyness of the city, and my couple of week long stays working there, led a scenic painter friend and I to coin the new slogan for the city. it is:

"Lowell: it's better than being homeless."

I see with the campuses there being three. Kinda weird IMO since non are so big. The other two across the Merrimack River seems smaller than the one near the rail. However together they look bigger.

I am surprised you think the city is so "gritty." Personally I think the city is quite nice in area, and of course it does have its areas where it is a bit run down. But doesn't every city? It is a smaller city so the downtown area is only so big.

UMass-Lowell has multiple campuses because it is the result of a merger of two predecessor colleges, described briefly here.

I'm surprised by found5dollar's reaction to the city, as I've always enjoyed visiting it.

Well, I can see both points. Lowell, like so many other cities, has its tough spots, yet it also has a really great starting point for re-inventing its urbanity. The Hamilton Canal District has a pioneering form-based code in place and has some really good opportunities for investment. That being said, it is still a largely working class city, but maybe that's its destiny. Not everywhere can be posh, and people need to realize that. Biddeford, Maine is another example--great architecture, layout, location. Very working class, blue collar, and downtrodden in plenty of places. Opportunities to improve are always present, but some places, rich or poor, are still good "urbanism" and I think Lowell is definitely one of them.

UMass Lowell eyes an $800m strategic expansion, including 500 units of housing:

Back