Union Square D6 | Somerville

I just wish they'd be a bit more adventurous, how about a series of smaller buildings, maybe 4/5 story townhouses and offices with retail below, with a pedestrian path weaving through them from the corner of washington and Webster to the CrossFit and the new crosswalk on prospect to the T station.
If they broke it up in to manageable chunks they could build it in phases without years of mass dereliction/demolition/construction keeping the square as a building site and then the end result being a boring 4 story facade as far as the eye can see with bank of america as anchor ground floor tenants.
This is so uninspiring.

sorry, in a bad mood today!

Seconded on a few counts...
If I am interpreting correctly, you are describing the ambitions of the City's planning goals for this block - that this proposal seems to 'overlook', to say it nicely. A quick take-off in google earth returns their building is around 350 feet wide. I suppose we could look on the bright side an consider that is *only* 30 wider than the massive wall going up at Assembly. YIKES.
1683826846534.png

So weird that there's still no filing with the City of Somerville on this, but this same PR release appears in a few places.

The development team projects the timetable for obtaining all city approvals and completing site plan review to be 12-18 months. Necessary approvals include a zoning amendment to allow a single building on the site by special permit. A single building allows the proposed neighborhood park to be located at Somerville Avenue and Prospect Street, where it will be most visible, active, and usable. Following approval of the proposed zoning amendment, the project will seek Site Plan Review and Special Permit approval.

They should be denied this permit. The multi-building zoning on this site was part of a purposeful urban plan, and the City should honor it.

Looks like Cambridge Day did a great job with this last year: https://www.cambridgeday.com/2022/1...t-get-started-without-resolving-one-question/

Brown replied that he did not think his company needed US2’s approval. “We’re the owner of the property and eminent domain has not been initiated, has not happened, our rights have not been taken,” Brown said. “Regarding US2, we have had discussions with them over a number of years and they just haven’t really gone anywhere, to be honest. You know, I don’t know how much I want to divulge about it, but they just weren’t fruitful discussions.” Ewen-Campen emphasized that Union 2 Associates should confer with the city’s planning staff about US2’s involvement. “I have no interest in [the proposal if] there is not a path forward for this without it getting mired in lawsuits for a million years,” Ewen-Campen said.

No idea why the PR blitz now. Regardless @BeeLine please change the thread title to "One Union Square | Parcel D6 | Union Square"

Back