Urban Planning.. Good field?

LordStanleyCup2011

Reaction score
I am a high school student right now. I would love to get into urban planning. But I am wondering what kind of job market do you think there will be for urban planning in 10-15 years from now. I also have realized that it is tough to find urban planning degrees.

Thanks!

I think it will be bigger than ever in 10-15 years. But, it is almost entirely a boring, rubber-stamp job as I've seen.

I think it's much more interesting -- and perhaps more lucrative -- to go the private route and look for real estate development careers. The only thing is: what do you major in? And then how do you get into these firms (what do you apply for)? I haven't quite figured it out, but I'm getting my resume together with my poli sci and economics double major, and I'd take any grueling, menial job I can in order to work my way up. Some sort of planning or design degree, even architecture, would perhaps be best for getting in. Maybe I'll go to grad school for something else later on.

Keep in mind that what constitutes an "urban planning" degree may actually be something of an open question. Your degree doesn't need to immediately tie back into urban planning or have urban planning written somewhere on it for you to find work in that field.

Unless you absolutely despise math and/or science, I'd suggest you start looking at engineering degrees. There's really no way to go wrong with one.

The only thing is: what do you major in? And then how do you get into these firms (what do you apply for)? I haven't quite figured it out, but I'm getting my resume together with my poli sci and economics double major, and I'd take any grueling, menial job I can in order to work my way up. Some sort of planning or design degree, even architecture, would perhaps be best for getting in. Maybe I'll go to grad school for something else later on.

Architecture, finance, or construction.

Or know someone with a lot of money that wants to invest in real estate.

The Railroad field is booming and will continue over the next 50 years....its projected to add another 3.9 Million jobs by 2030.

The Average Starting pay for Freight is 40k , the highest pay is 170k which can be found out west on the longer lines.

For Amtrak , starting is 40k ,and can climb to 90k after 5 years....

For Commuter Rail starting is 35k and can climb to 80-100k....

Urban Rail and Buses start at 40k and can hit 80k....

All have benefits and pensions , some are better then others.. I know quite a few MBTA/Amtrak/Pan Am and CSX Engineers and conductors there very happy with there careers....its not for everyone but its a rewarding field , everyday is different.

Last edited:
I'd get a job in the commercial development/management/sales/leasing field before going the government route. BostonUrbEx summed that up nicely. You can always go into the public sector if you can't hack it in the private sector, but it's pretty hard to go public to private later in life. No one wants some lazy and typically marginally competent hack on their rolls.

Back