USPS Complex | Fort Point

This would he disastrous to the Fort Point neighborhood. It would be nice to get the Feds out of Government Center, but even if the FBI vacates (the O'Neil Bldg., I believe) they'd still leave plenty of other federal bureaucracies there and at the JFK Bldg., among other places.

I still think the best place for them would be a rehabbed State Services Center, with maybe a new tower built in harmony with Rudolph's original, unrealized scheme.

That would require demolition of the Brooke Courthouse, which does have a huge underground component.

That would require demolition of the Brooke Courthouse, which does have a huge underground component.

As far as a new tower goes, I didn't mean actually building Rudolph's design, but more something harmonious in spirit with the original vision, much like I think the Brooke Courthouse is. There's a whole lot of nothing at the center of this block -- it's a big doughnut. I don't think it would be too difficult to squeeze a tower in there.

Rudolph's original design:
sc5.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc4.jpg

What's there now:
sc3.jpg

sc8.jpg

Rudolph was an otherworldly talent. The scale and ambition of his original plan was symphonic.

Unfinished, the State Services Center is like an architectural Venus de Milo. The Brooke's Nazi-tecture is a joyless mistake, like a German army helmet on Venus's head.

Project that ellipse about fifty stories skyward to get a nice, slender skyscraper. Fill it up with FBI agents; it's quite defensible.

Unfinished, the State Services Center is like an architectural Venus de Milo. The Brooke's Nazi-tecture is a joyless mistake, like a German army helmet on Venus's head.
Yup.

P.S. Replace that damned triangular parking lot with a dense copse of trees.

Rudolph was really a genius. Someone needs to put a ridiculous amount of money into this building to save it.

Rudolph was really a genius. Someone needs to put a ridiculous amount of money into this building to save it.

I think the only way this would happen would be if the state sold it to a private developer to could renovate it and turn it into something else, a hotel with retail or something. He could build the tower to make up for the cost.

What I would give to see the tentacles at the base of Rudolph's tower.

Some trees and some TLC and that whole building could be amazing. It's a shame that such neglect has given the whole building a bad name.

Thank god that building didn't go up. What an eyesore. It's like something out of Star Wars but in a bad way. A monstrosity.

For some intelligible reason I love that tower proposal. Perhaps it follows the same aesthetic logic as Pugs.

I don't like that tower personally. It reminds me of City Hall too much.

.... It's a shame that such neglect has given the whole building a bad name.

What I would give to see the tentacles at the base of Rudolph's tower.

Yaaaaaaysssss....

*sigh*

That flat aerial view makes it look like some primitive neanderthal tool was jabbed into the existing site.

Looks like somebody was staring at their triangle/drafting tools in a jumble on their table and came up with the courthouse footprint/shape.

I have yet to look closely at the courthouse, but as a stand-alone, it wouldn't be as bad. I don't like how it interacts with the SSC.

I think jamming an elliptical tower in the center would make the whole entity even more horrifying and jarring than it already is. It would be an interesting challenge to make it work, though.

I thought I had a pic to add here that would illustrate this, humourously. Alas, I cannot find it now. :confused:

Any updates on the Dorchester Ave postal facility? Or the FBI moving into the A street parking lot?

Boston.com - January 6, 2010
Commuter rail expansion threatened by collapse of South Station land deal
January 6, 2010 02:41 PM E-mail| |Comments (21)| Text size ? +

By Noah Bierman and Casey Ross, Globe Staff

A complex deal to redevelop the US Postal Service's massive facility in Boston and expand commuter rail service at neighboring South Station has fallen apart.

Massachusetts Transportation Secretary Jeffrey Mullan announced today that the deal "will not move forward," which could significantly delay the MBTA's efforts to expand rail service to southeastern and central Massachusetts.

The Postal Service had planned to relocate to South Boston and hand over the mail-sorting facility to a private developer that was planning to build a large mixed-used complex on the 16-acre site. That redevelopment would have also cleared the way for the MBTA to acquire more land in the area to add tracks for expanded commuter rail service.

Mullan offered few details. Neither the Postal Service nor its designated developer, Jones Lang LaSalle, would comment. Other agencies involved were not immediately available for comment.

The move involved complex negotiations with the Massachusetts Port Authority and the Department of Defense, both of which owned pieces of the land on Summer Street where the Postal Service was planning to relocate.

When the Postal Service selected Jones Lang LaSalle as developer in April 2008, a spokesman said the property was "key" to the redevelopment of the Fort Point Channel waterfront district, one of the city of Boston's top targets for growth.

The collapsed deal now puts the MBTA's planned expansion of commuter rail service to the Framingham-Worcester and New Bedford--Fall River areas at risk. Mullen said South Station's current train platforms are too crowded, and the agency needs more tracks to increase service to these areas.

Boston Globe - January 7, 2009
South Station rail deal collapses
Developer?s departure jeopardizes T expansion

By Casey Ross and Noah Bierman, Globe Staff | January 7, 2010

A deal to redevelop the US Postal Service?s massive facility near South Station has collapsed, jeopardizing the MBTA?s plans to use part of the sprawling 16 acres to relieve congestion at the terminal and to add commuter rail lines serving Central and Southeastern Massachusetts.

The development team the Postal Service retained in early 2008 abruptly pulled out last month because of financial concerns. That upended a complex deal in which the Postal Service would move to a new facility about 1 mile away, while the developers sold land behind South Station to the MBTA for new tracks and platforms to accommodate additional rail service.

The departure of the private developer means the state will now have to negotiate to acquire the property on its own, a task welcomed yesterday by state Transportation Secretary Jeffrey B. Mullan.

?This is not bad news for the commuter rail at all,?? Mullan said. ?We can now work directly with the Postal Service to better serve the needs of the South Station facility.??

The Postal Service would not comment yesterday. Although it said in a December letter to the state that it was willing to negotiate directly, it established numerous conditions that could be further roadblocks to commuter rail expansion.

The Postal Service demanded assurances that it would incur no cost in building a new mail-sorting facility on Summer Street in South Boston and that the state would pay the fair market value the previous developers had set for the land.

The Postal Service also disclosed that Boston and state officials were pressing it to make what it considers unacceptable changes to its proposed new facility, and it raised the specter of not moving from the old South Station location at all.

?Such a detrimental impact would cause us to suspend any further consideration of relocating the plant until such time as a new and acceptable site could be identified and placed under the Postal Service control,?? Tom Samra, vice president of facilities for the Postal Service, wrote in a letter to Mullan.

The collapse of the deal dismayed Mayor Thomas M. Menino, adding another setback to his plans to jump-start redevelopment of the waterfront. The old Postal Annex, as it is called, sits at a key gateway from downtown Boston to the emerging waterfront district.

?This is a big, sprawling building, and it?s a great opportunity for redevelopment that would provide the city new tax revenues,?? Menino said yesterday.

The MBTA expansion projects now in jeopardy include additional rush-hour service on the Framingham-Worcester line that was expected to begin in 2011 and new service to Fall River and New Bedford scheduled to begin sometime around 2016.

An advocate for T riders said the breakdown of the development deal is a significant setback to the MBTA?s efforts to improve commuter rail service. Unless the T gains access to the property, it cannot add trains to improve service on the Framingham-Worcester line or provide new service to the Fall River-New Bedford region.

?I?m very concerned,?? said Paul Regan, executive director of the MBTA Advisory Board, which represents cities and towns served by the T. ?I think this is the most important commuter rail infrastructure project in Boston, and if it doesn?t happen, it?s going to affect everything else commuter rail does.??

Currently all 13 tracks at South Station are in use during tight rush-hour schedules, with some trains having to wait several minutes outside the station for a platform to open up, said John D. Ray, head of the T?s railroad operations.

Ray said the congestion is manageable, but noted that the MBTA cannot add trains during rush hour until it gets the Postal Service land, where it would add five rail lines.

Regan contended that space constraints at South Station contribute to delays on all commuter lines served out of the terminal.

?The lack of space means a lack of flexibility,?? Regan said. ?One problem with one train then tends to snowball much, much faster, because you have no room for error on the south side.??

The Postal Service wants to relocate to a 25-acre parcel about a mile down Summer Street, on property owned by the US Department of Defense and the Massachusetts Port Authority. In April 2008, it selected a partnership of investment firm Walton Street Capital LLC and Jones Lang LaSalle, a real estate services company, to redevelop the Postal Annex site, with the proceeds used to finance its new facility in South Boston.

While it negotiated with the Defense Department and Massport about acquiring the new site, the Postal Service worked to close the redevelopment deal with Walton Street and Jones Lang LaSalle. Those negotiations appeared to be nearly finished when the developers dropped out last month, according to the letter from Samra.

Jones Lang LaSalle and Walton Street did not return calls seeking comment yesterday. But in his letter, Samra attributed the breakdown in part to the unwillingness of Massachusetts to pay the developers an up-front cash settlement for the commuter rail land.

?Nothing can happen until the T takes ownership of the property,?? Regan said. ?If losing the developer for this sets the entire project timeline back a year or more, when you add in the construction time that it takes to put the tracks into South Station, that?s the delay.??

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com, Noah Bierman can be reached at nbierman@globe.com.

Re: South Station Tower

Deal to redevelop South Station collapses
By Associated Press
Thursday, January 7, 2010 - Added 3h ago

E-mail Print (0) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!BOSTON ? The state?s Transportation Secretary says the withdrawal of a private developer from a plan to redevelop the U.S. Postal Service facility near South Station and add additional commuter rail lines is not necessarily bad news.

The development team the Postal Service retained in 2008 pulled out last month because of financial concerns.

That halted a deal in which the Postal Service would move to a new facility a mile away, while the developers sold land behind South Station to the MBTA for new tracks and platforms to accommodate additional rail service.

Transportation Secretary Jeffrey Mullan tells The Boston Globe that the departure of the private developer means the state can now deal directly with the Postal Service.

Postal Service spokespeople had no comment.

Re: South Station Tower

This has nothing to do with the South Station Tower. It refers to the Postal Annex next door. See the Fort Point thread for more info on that project.

From a development perspective I think this may be good news. If a developer got control of this property now it would probably remain underutilized. Give it a few years for demand to recover and we could potentially be seeing some very exciting proposals for this site.

Back