USPS Complex | Fort Point

If the Post Office leaves, is there any part of a NSRL that would preclude dense construction along Dorchester Ave? (Apart from the fact that NSRL will not ever occur.)
No. The tunnel is nearly 100 ft. below ground on any of the considered South Station Under alignments, well below the reach of any building pilings.

No. The tunnel is nearly 100 ft. below ground on any of the considered South Station Under alignments, well below the reach of any building pilings.
It depends! SST has end-bearing deep foundations that extend over 100 feet below grade to reach rock. The theoretically smaller buildings that would get developed at the PO site may be able to use friction piles only, which would not need to extend down to bedrock. There’s an obvious design consideration that must be made when tunneling beneath piles, or installing piles above a tunnel. It’s doable but not preferable.

What I was asking is that the path of the NSRL tunnels may either be narrow enough for any development to essentially bridge over it, or may miss the development sites completely. Can anyone clarify if the layout and dimensions of current NSRL options would necessarily render development impossible?

I think that max build proposal is as dead as a dodo. Instead of building extra tracks at South station, proponents of the North South rail link want that project to be funded instead.

From the Globe article,

One reason I suspect MassDOT is dead-eye focused on SSX?

Lynch said he would take the lead in pushing USPS for a deal on behalf of the Massachusetts congressional delegation. Straus has been raising concerns because the station is at capacity — complicating plans to increase train frequency, particularly with regard to the extra service under discussion for Western Massachusetts.

East-West Rail trains aren't running through the NSRL, and we all know that the only way this state spends anything on rail is if it helps win 10 votes in a far flung city.

One reason I suspect MassDOT is dead-eye focused on SSX?

East-West Rail trains aren't running through the NSRL, and we all know that the only way this state spends anything on rail is if it helps win 10 votes in a far flung city.
The Globe article is ambiguous about who would build the new USPS building. There is a hint that the Commonwealth (Massport?) might be the builder. Massport would give up about 15 acres of its land. In return Massport would gain title to 20 acres of land owned by the Postal Service near A St., much of which is used for Postal Service employee parking. IMO, that land, if acquired and developed, is much more valuable (And one could build on one or two acres of the Postal Annex land at the north end, if the additional tracks were to start a bit south of the new main concourse.)

USPS land on the east side of Fort Point Channel, with City assessor's address
42,630 sq ft Wormwood St.
87,306 sq ft A St
17,793 sq ft A St
692,203 sq ft Haul Road
33,024 sq ft Haul Road (northward of Richards St.)

According to the City Assessor, the Dorchester Ave USPS land is a total of 610,397 sq ft., about 14 acres

East-West Rail trains aren't running through the NSRL

I don’t know all the ins and outs about NSRL, so forgive my ignorance. But why wouldn’t east-west trains take advantage of NSRL and continue to a final destination north or south of the city?

I don’t know all the ins and outs about NSRL, so forgive my ignorance. But why wouldn’t east-west trains take advantage of NSRL and continue to a final destination north or south of the city?

East-West is functionally an intercity train, not a regional rail service - from a service prospective I think it would be hard to schedule into regional rail. That said, it's possible that some future operator would see value in running a service from, say, Springfield to Anderson RTC (EW Rail would approach on the southern half of the system, so continuing to a point south of Boston would not use NSRL).

East-West is functionally an intercity train, not a regional rail service - from a service prospective I think it would be hard to schedule into regional rail. That said, it's possible that some future operator would see value in running a service from, say, Springfield to Anderson RTC (EW Rail would approach on the southern half of the system, so continuing to a point south of Boston would not use NSRL).

Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about the Worcester Line on the commuter rail, not a Springfield train.

IMHO,, any expansion of the Convention Center should try to find a way to incorporate the Postal Service Operations. Whether we are looking at subterranean levels for sorting and office space above ground floor, not really sure. But i think that would serve the site well along with other uses on the site.

IMHO,, any expansion of the Convention Center should try to find a way to incorporate the Postal Service Operations. Whether we are looking at subterranean levels for sorting and office space above ground floor, not really sure. But i think that would serve the site well along with other uses on the site.
excellent suggestion.

They could use their parking lot parcel I guess. It's a bit of a walk from South Station though. The Postal Service workers who use T/CR would not be happy. Plus it would wreak havoc with traffic with all the deliveries, backing in and out.

Don't know how tall they can go on that though, because it's right over the Pike.

MassPort already has a potential parcel queued up:

Which has better access to Logan. Personally I think we should just throw something near Logan itself to really sweeten the deal in Eastie.

Back