Van's Moderation Policy

I'm starting to think that this forum should start brigging people. So far in this forum, I see the same people starting up trivial disputes and it is time initiate some sort of action to stop this.

Ron Newman said:
"brigging" -- I don't know what this word means.

On the skyscrapercity board it means a temporary ban.

kz1000ps said:
Bobby Digital said:
^ i bet thebostonboy could kick the shit out of you dude.

Here's a new gem from the drunken idiot of the board, and exhibit A in what's wrong with this place as of late. Now I normally bite my tongue and try to hold off on calling people names, but it's obvious that he just doesn't get it, and my patience for his dragging this place down is wearing VERY thin.

Bobby, you do realize you're starting shit with people on a friggin online discussion forum, and you're not out at the bars, right?

i wasnt starting shit with anybody. I was sticking up for thebostonboy. somebody's gotta do it. poor kid gets reamed on this board on a daily basis by you college kids that think you above everybody.

kz go look at how many times i start shit with people unprovoked. seriously.

Bobby Digital said:
kz1000ps said:
Bobby Digital said:
^ i bet thebostonboy could kick the shit out of you dude.

Here's a new gem from the drunken idiot of the board, and exhibit A in what's wrong with this place as of late. Now I normally bite my tongue and try to hold off on calling people names, but it's obvious that he just doesn't get it, and my patience for his dragging this place down is wearing VERY thin.

Bobby, you do realize you're starting shit with people on a friggin online discussion forum, and you're not out at the bars, right?

i wasnt starting shit with anybody. I was sticking up for thebostonboy. somebody's gotta do it. poor kid gets reamed on this board on a daily basis by you college kids that think you above everybody.

kz go look at how many times i start shit with people unprovoked. seriously.
I have to agree with Bobby. If you are going to delete his post, you might as well delete Dude's. It does not contribute to anything and is there to only annoy TheBostonBoy.

Seriously, the only one who needs to grow up the most out of anyone here is Dude. He acts like a bully to people he deems insignificant to him and only reflects on how childish he really is.

It's funny, I became moderator because of things Dude was posting and now he has the most problem with what I'm doing. Who would'a thunk it?! :lol:

twind

Bobby Digital said:
^ if we are the same person, why would we take shots at each other? come on.

Because I was hoping there was only one immature CLOSETED big mouth loser on this thread.

you know when say shit like that you completely undermine yourself.

do i know you? no. have i offended you in some way? no. and YOUR calling ME names. wait wait, who's immature again?

i think you mean on this board, not on this thread Mr. Newton.

Please keep me out of this! Lol I know I started out with some difficulties, but for the last like 2-2.5 months I haven't started anything. I hardly ever argue or "provoke" here in New Development, and I keep most of my rants or rude remarks in the sections of this site that were made for it (e.g. General, Politics) and even when someone has given me shit or provoked me (namely Dude) I have stayed out of it and just let it go. I also think Bobby needs to be forgiven a little bit, because he definitely has not done anything either, except defended himself and me occasionally (than you) from the remarks of some bullies like Dude. OKAY, Dude is THE Bully of this site, at least in my eyes, and if anything he is the most immature, even more so than the younger crowd like me. He just seems like he wants to start some sort of argument or pointless flame war with everyone. I have a lot of respect for everybody on this board, and I really have been behaving myself, so please don't say I have been in some of those stupid pointless arguments and have provoked stuff, cause we know I haven't. I think it is definitely unfair and pointless for these things to be going on in here, and I understand Van's plight. He definitely should not have to go through thread after thread deleting these types of posts and trying to calm everyone down. We must take it upon ourselves to censor our discussions and get along with each other, and let Van go through once in a while to moderate and make sure everything is going alright. I think it is fine for Van to delete rude and offense posts and whatnot, as long as he kinda let's the person know so we aren't completely baffled by a post missing. All in all, keep up the good work man and I and hopefully others will try to help make your job a hell of a lot easier.

this whole thread is getting ridiculous

the difference between me and bobby digital is that my comments are generally humorous or joking in nature, while his are angry and retarded. im making jokes, hes swearing.

generally the things people find offensive about me are opinions, not me cursing out people and getting angry (i dont really do that), and personally i would hope that having someone with different, albeit extreme, opinions would help people reconsider their traditional beliefs.

now lets stop bitching and moaning and censoring and get back to the topic at hand.

i like justin's idea, but i think the problem that van makes despite his good intentions is deleting posts. if you delete bobby digital's most offensive post and move on, you're not encouraging positive behavior because youre not actually contacting him and asking him to stop, youre just deleting it. and so it continues, and you delete more, and it gets to a point where censorship is going on and none of us are learning from our mistakes

briv talked to me once or twice and i corrected my mistakes because i respected him and the way he cam and talked to me instead of just deleting what i wrote.

vanshnookenraggen said:
If you don't like it you can just stop coming here.

That argument can be made both ways. If you don't like what Dude is saying, you can stop coming here.

This whole discussion seems be turning into a "mature" vs. "immature" argument. A certain group of immature people are offending a certain group of mature people and those mature people can't endure another moment of this offensive speech.

Couldn't it be argued that a truly mature person doesn't have to act like their mother has been just shot every time someone says something disagreeable (even if it is put in a non-constructive manner)? If you think that Dude is an annoying prick, ignore him. Be confident in your beliefs, but don't act like every foolish comment is an assault on your good senses and swear revenge.

Instead of wasting time trying to arbitrate what comments are offensive or off-topic, allow people the option to scroll past them.

Holy fucking shit.

Anyone who has been on another forum realizes that moderation is pretty commonplace. People who start flame wars saying stupid shit are banned. plain and simple. Why should i have to scroll past 10 posts of needless flaming to get to some relevant information about a project. This forum is first and foremost a place to discuss ongoing and future developments in Boston in a mature manner. If you want to act like a child take it to www.genmay.com or some other forum.

It's really not that hard people. Vash you have been doing good job. Please keep deleting needless flame bait posts, and move off topic posts to another part of the forum for further discussion.

^ Agreed.

Van, thanks for the time and effort you've put in to keep this site more faithful to the purpose for which it was originally intended. Those of us who have been coming here for years, and can remember when the discourse was considerably more on-topic, thought-out and "mature" - and are really busy and therefore have no interest in wasting our time scrolling through a bunch of irrelevant crap - are grateful.

If Boston is about to begin another "boom," then we should have plenty of pictures to look at, designs to criticize, and issues to discuss over the next couple of years...I don't understand why anyone who's genuinely interested in discussing architecture and urban development would want to make this environment less interesting and less valuable for the other members of this community.

But if people insist of detracting from the overall quality of the board, I think Van or Briv are entitled to the quality-control measures they think are necessary.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
this whole thread is getting ridiculous

the difference between me and bobby digital is that my comments are generally humorous or joking in nature, while his are angry and retarded. im making jokes, hes swearing.
Your post in response to TheBostonBoy was neither humorous nor an opinion, it was mimicking him and all that would do is start a flame war. I mean come on:

DudeUrSistersHot said:
TheBostonBoy said:
Ya, so the two towers are done then??? That's a bummer, that was my favorite part of this project

ya totally a huge bummer dude.

those towers were like wicked sick and stuff
I mean how does this contribute to the thread? It does not. It may be humorous to you but not other people.

I think this thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I left it open for a civil discussion about the forum moderation and it has turned into an immature cat fight. Seriously Dude, Bobby D, grow up!

Why don't we just have set rules and guidelines. While I am not a fan of kicking anybody off the site I do think threads such as these should be removed from ones that have to do with projects. I forget who said it, but it makes no sense to have to scroll through this garbage to get to something that is actually on topic. I'm guilty of this, so I'll be better about this. All van has to do is move those arguments from the thread into another. It really solves all the problems. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however while responding to new development lets just try to stay on topic.

theculprit said:
Why don't we just have set rules and guidelines. While I am not a fan of kicking anybody off the site I do think threads such as these should be removed from ones that have to do with projects. I forget who said it, but it makes no sense to have to scroll through this garbage to get to something that is actually on topic. I'm guilty of this, so I'll be better about this. All van has to do is move those arguments from the thread into another. It really solves all the problems. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however while responding to new development lets just try to stay on topic.

how about people who think theyre too important to have to look at "trolling posts" SKIP PAST THEM and stop WHINING LIKE BABIES

and people who think theyre funny read them

and lets stop making such a goddamn big deal about everything and deleting shit.

2 examples:

"youre a stupid motherfucking toolbag and if i ever say you in real life id kick your motherfucking ass bitch"

^completely irrelevant to the discussion. warn the person, if he continues to write like that, final warning (dont delete or move the posts cause its not going to prevent future behavior)

"i think people in chinatown should stop being nimbys and just learn to deal with changes. ron is just being his annoying liberal self and acting like everyone has the right to stay where they live and be insulated against price increases. thats completely ridiculous"

^relevant to the discussion if somewhat uncouth. let it go. if an argument starts, the mod should step in and ask all involved to tone it down before they get in trouble. if someone continues this over a long period pm them and ask them politely to tone it down.

less micromanagement results in more respect of the rules because an abrogation of them is criticized by the community and eventually acted upon by someone in a higher authority. more micromanagement results in disrespect of the rules because people know their stuff will just ge t deleted

DudeUrSistersHot said:
ron is just being his annoying liberal self

Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Engage the arguments and avoid taking potshots at people and you'll be alright. You seem unable to do that, which is why so many people on here dislike you.

Back