Volpe Parcel C1 | 25 Broadway | Kendall Square | Cambridge

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Cambridge Special Permits site just posted new plans for the building on parcel C1 (25 Broadway)

vpc1-1.png

vpc1-2.png

vpc1-3.png

^Above are all from within the following publicly posted file, which includes many more renders:
PB368 Design Review 25 Broadway & Third Street Park – Part 1

Looks kinda like a blend of every other midrise in the area
I was thinking the same thing. Elkus Manfredi appears to be the designer, i think they did Soma and Noma too?

The architects are NBBJ & D/R/E/A/M Collaborative as published in the special permits design review filing.

Just FYI--there's a design review meeting hosted by MIT for this project on 9/20 at 6:30 PM.

The video from this design review meeting, with commentary from the architects, has been posted (see first link here):

The video from this design review meeting, with commentary from the architects, has been posted (see first link here):
One surprising comment here was that MITIMCO needs to "wait until we finalize our purchase with the Federal Government" to begin any work on-site. They didn't finalize that before they built the New Volpe?

Estimate was "some work" within a year.

One surprising comment here was that MITIMCO needs to "wait until we finalize our purchase with the Federal Government" to begin any work on-site. They didn't finalize that before they built the New Volpe?

Estimate was "some work" within a year.

See the "Amendment 2" document (dated 4/28/23) here. Looks like a construction start by/before Sept 28, 2024 ("Given that...MIT has not yet received title to the land"):

Sounds like a pain in the...

I was thinking the same thing. Elkus Manfredi appears to be the designer, i think they did Soma and Noma too?

Actually MITIMCo has been pretty good about using a range of architects across the SoMa, NoMa, Volpe projects. Yes, there's a dose of Elkus, but also Weiss/Manfredi (SoMa Site 5), Perkins + Will (SoMa Site 3), NADAAA (SoMa Site 4), Touloukian/Touloukian (SoMa Site 6; yet unbuilt), and NBBJ + D/R/E/A/M (this one)

See the "Amendment 2" document (dated 4/28/23) here. Looks like a construction start by/before Sept 28, 2024 ("Given that...MIT has not yet received title to the land"):

So is the implication then that they would build both C1 and C3 simultaneously, since they'll go through design review before either can start?

So is the implication then that they would build both C1 and C3 simultaneously, since they'll go through design review before either can start?

Yes, the most recent phasing proposal (5/1/23) on that website seems to imply that C1 and C3 will both go through design review, and both will commence together, with the C1 area, once cleared, being a staging/lay-down area, C3 will then finish first, and then C1 will finish. The site in the middle (C2) is what will lag them both. That's how I interpret it anyway.

This got partial approval... the building was fine but folks are unhappy with the pavilion taking up part of the planned open space.

only two public commenters at the meeting!

Folks are probably focused on the City Council elections.

When to they plan on deconstructing the old volpe building? I figured they would have started after the new building opened.

When to they plan on deconstructing the old volpe building? I figured they would have started after the new building opened.

Current view of this parcel from above (11.11.23). The sooner this waste of space gets built on, the better!

20231111_111408.jpg

It's halfway to a lovely little park already, just rip out that parking lot, build an over-the-top jungle gym and voila.

Back