Walpole Center Developments

DAVE

Reaction score
I figured that not many people have any reason to go through walpole center, but there has actually been a lot of activity in the past year or so, so I decided to start a thread to post some photos.

There are currently two large developments with about ~200 units each(one next to the Walpole Commuter Rail Station and the other on East street also near the station).

Libery Village
I don't have photos of the progress on this one yet but there is at least the rendering online. This replaces the YMCA, a bar and several others. These were demolished several months ago.
pr-the-commons-at-walpole-station_608x436.png

Slightly different renderings found here:
http://walpole.wickedlocal.com/news...building-to-become-liberty-village-apartments

95 West Street
This is the location directly next to the Walpole Station. I haven't been able to find any renderings online of this, but town meeting minutes have said they are required to keep the character of the other buildings, which are old industrial brick. This will also be residential with ground floor retail. Here is an album of the first steel going up!
https://imgur.com/a/dAWPuop

Walpole has also just completed a new Fire station which actually came out pretty nice. I will take photos of that and post them here over time.

There's been lots of construction on the 95 West Street site...the 'Liberty Village' location has been moving much slower and with an odd type of construction.

95 West Street
32033604587_84c36286f9_z.jpg
46060992875_96d982bb0a_z.jpg

40010130363_dd89855522_z.jpg

46060992465_40d1424917_z.jpg

40010129523_f8dcd855ef_z.jpg

Liberty Village
46974773321_1c19de1857_z.jpg

46250367694_3e1cc87147_z.jpg

Thanks, Dave. Of all the towns on the Route 1 corridor, Walpole has one of the more vibrant and intact centers, with some funky little businesses that add a great deal of flavor. I love seeing it get some developer attention.

Anyone in the area in nicer weather should also try to visit Francis William Bird Park - designed by Olmsted protege John Nolen, it's a large expanse of rolling English-style countryside, and on the perimeter you have winding wooded paths with stone bridges over neat little streams. They also usually have a great calendar of events at the bandstand.

Small tangent... what do people call the Route 1 corridor towns, as a region? Sometimes it's included as South Shore, but I think that's really pushing it. It's also clearly not Metrowest. I'm pretty much talking about the entire region that's radially between Route 24 (east of which is more clearly South Shore) and Route 109 (north of which is more clearly Metrowest).

MAPC has it labeled as three rivers, although I've never heard that used. I usually just say near gillette, or "you know the prison?"
MAPC_Subregions_2017_letter_nonames-2.png

Thanks Dave. Both my parents are from Walpole and I grew up in Foxboro, with frequent visits to my grandfather’s home near the Norwood border. I love Walpole, that whole area actually (Walpole, Foxboro, Sharon, Norwood, Westwood). Out of these towns, Walpole and Norwood have the best town centers.

I’ve never heard Three Rivers used either. Definitely not South Shore. I often hear Hockomock used, but less so for Walpole and Westwood and more so for further south (aligned with the athletic league). I’ve also heard South Norfolk County.

There is a real dividing line along Rt 1, and it’s at Foxboro. South of Gillette is decidedly more Providence-aligned than Boston. Technically all of Bristol County is part of the Providence metro, but the northern areas are still squarely Boston-facing (like Easton and Mansfield). Rt 1 Plaineville, North Attleboro, and Attleboro feel more Providence-facing.

I almost jokingly said "Near Gillette" until I realized that it's not really a joke. It's in the stadium area, and therefore the Foxboro area, which is how I've identified that region. It's too far east of Milford/Millis/Medway to be part of that area (is that technically the Blackstone Corridor?), and it's too far West of the South Shore to be part of that. I agree with Hockomock - I usually hear that with Easton, Stoughton, Raynham, and sometimes Mansfield and Sharon. But really Route 24 between Taunton and Canton.

Walpole's been getting lots of shout outs in the new State of Zoning for Multi-family Housing in Greater Boston report for these developments (even though the two mentioned in the report have 0 affordability).

"There has been a major movement to allow and build more housing in the region’s village centers, and
there has been even more building in parcels on the edge of municipalities, isolated from residential
neighborhoods. Some municipalities have been creating new village centers on the edge of municipalities,
often with convenient access to highways. Municipalities have been cautious in allowing development in
historic centers, typically permitting tens of dwelling units, but not hundreds. Several municipalities such as
Quincy, Malden, Waltham, and Walpole have been building hundreds of units in their centers."

Was finally able to find a proper render of Liberty Village (1034 East Street):
slide56.jpg

48145042756_e0cc1e4fe0_z.jpg

48145142862_7712fe91a2_z.jpg

and a cool angle from West Street:
47986270603_738d6f2b5b_z.jpg

There has also been fast work on the old Walpole Woodworkers site (767 East Street), with new age restricted units going in.
48145053951_b1ddc6bf83_z.jpg

Happy to see more units coming near the commuter rail, and is a re-use of some commercial offices instead of tearing some more trees down.

Not sure what the parking ratio is but I hope its not higher than 1. This is literally steps from the commuter rail and a 2 minute walk to a bus stop.

Happy to see more units coming near the commuter rail, and is a re-use of some commercial offices instead of tearing some more trees down.

Not sure what the parking ratio is but I hope its not higher than 1. This is literally steps from the commuter rail and a 2 minute walk to a bus stop.

In Walpole? You can't go carless in the burbs. That's the problem with building so far out.

In Walpole? You can't go carless in the burbs. That's the problem with building so far out.
I literally lived down the street from here carless, for many years. So...

Also, I didn't say carless. I said I hope it isn't above a parking ratio of 1. Which means, 1 parking spot per unit.

55 Summer Street

55_summer.png

$53M in Construction Financing Secured for Walpole Multifamily​

“Fairfield Residential has secured a $53,700,000 construction loan through Santander Bank for the multifamily project planned along Summer Street in Walpole. Fairfield acquired the site in March for $13,600,000. Plans for the 40B project call for 268 residential units total.”

https://www.bldup.com/posts/53m-in-construction-financing-secured-for-walpole-multifamily

Back