Waltham Infill and Small Developments

I will agree with the people on this thread. Please take my 200 Moody and 1265 Main threads into this one but please keep The "MERC" at Moody & Main in its own thread. I will be updating that almost weekly.

Re: Downtown Waltham Streetscape Improvements

City approved the loan request of $6.4 Million 13-1 Tonight at a City Council Meeting. I find this funny considering a construction contract has already been awarded. So we awarded a contract with no guarantee on Money.

You can do that because municipal contracts are always subject to appropriation

Any kind of bicycle accommodation planned? Bike lanes I hope?

Not really good news, but I would just would like to add that according to previous Waltham Traffic Commission minutes:

Main St. - The complexity of pavement markings and parking requires a comprehensive study; recommended no [bike lanes] at this time.

Since then, no details have really emerged as to when (or if) a comprehensive study will take place. However, the City does now have a Planning Director whom I hear is bike-friendly. So I am hopeful that it may happen. Route 20 certainly needs a traffic makeover.

Hate to go off-topic but I do know that the DCR is actively pushing forward with the Wayside Branch of the Mass Central Rail Trail and the Waltham Planning Director has given a presentation as to such: http://tinyurl.com/pekl38y

Route 20 could definitely use bike lanes along it's entirety through Waltham. I think with some creative use of lane narrowing and lane reconfiguration, you could fit them in. The 2 + 2 lane configuration where that exists is very dangerous for left turns. A 1 + 1 with center turn pockets would be much safer and make room for bike lanes.

The state is doing that study along all of Route 20 through Watertown and Waltham. They are planning on doing an overhaul of the roadway in the future.

Also Bike Sharrows were just painted last week on Route 20 at Stow Street and from Ceaderwood Avenue to the Rotary. They were also painted on Route 117 from Stow Street to Hill Road and will probably be painted on the section of Main Street from Hill Road to Everett Street when that is repaved in the next month. That will make sharrows run from Stow Street to Prospect Hill Road.

I am also going to making a new thread on bike infrastructure in Waltham.

I am also going to making a new thread on bike infrastructure in Waltham.

Please don't. The "Biking the 'burbs" thread is definitely sufficient. I love your updates, but it is much more helpful to consolidate in this case. Frankly, this could all be in the "Waltham Developments" thread.

Oh ok. I did not know there was already a "biking in the burbs" thread. I want to keep this out of the developments thread as I will soon start posting photos from the construction. Once work begins I will let you know.

The state is doing that study along all of Route 20 through Watertown and Waltham. They are planning on doing an overhaul of the roadway in the future.

Also Bike Sharrows were just painted last week on Route 20 at Stow Street and from Ceaderwood Avenue to the Rotary. They were also painted on Route 117 from Stow Street to Hill Road and will probably be painted on the section of Main Street from Hill Road to Everett Street when that is repaved in the next month. That will make sharrows run from Stow Street to Prospect Hill Road.

I am glad that the final segment of Route 117 will be repaved, but its surprising that they decided to go with sharrows throughout, instead of a bike lane. The road *seems* plenty wide, with the exception the additional turn lanes near the 1030 Main and the Polaroid development. I know lane width is the ultimate determining factor, but I feel like Traffic Commission prefers Sharrows as an easier to implement compromise.

Also, I noticed some pavement markings for adding a couple handicap ramps, however the City isn't going to replace any sidewalk on this final stretch of 117 are they?

They looked at putting a bike lane but between the right and left turning lanes and on street parking and bus stops on both sides of the roadway they went with sharrows.

Right now the plan is for new sidewalks from the 1030 Main development to Linden Street. I don't know if there are plans for new sidewalks on that section that will be repaved but I do know none of the intersections are ADA complaint so if anything new handicap ramps will be constructed.

The traffic commission is currently planning to put bike lanes on Forest Street. Forest Street is currently 40 Feet wide and is stripped for 2 lanes. The plan discussed at a April 17 meeting would call for (2) 11-Foot Travel lanes, (2) 5 Foot Bike lanes and a 8-Foot Parking lane on one side. The commission tabled the request until they meet with the neighborhood as parking will be eliminated on one side of the street.

The City of Waltham and Department of Conservation & Recreation will be constructing Phase 3C of the Charles River Greenway. Phase 3C involves constructing a boardwalk from the Charles River Museum of Industry near the Moody Street Dam to Elm Street. Work will also include demolishing the existing railroad trestle at Elm Street. Work will begin Monday http://www.city.waltham.ma.us/planning-department/pages/charles-river-greenway-phase-3c

The City of Waltham and Department of Conservation & Recreation will be constructing Phase 3C of the Charles River Greenway. Phase 3C involves constructing a boardwalk from the Charles River Museum of Industry near the Moody Street Dam to Elm Street. Work will also include demolishing the existing railroad trestle at Elm Street. Work will begin Monday http://www.city.waltham.ma.us/planning-department/pages/charles-river-greenway-phase-3c

Too bad neither this trestle nor its twin by Shaws could be rehabilitated and turned into a sort of river viewing platform.

Anyone know when Watertown Branch service last ran over these trestles?

Too bad neither this trestle nor its twin by Shaws could be rehabilitated and turned into a sort of river viewing platform.

Anyone know when Watertown Branch service last ran over these trestles?

I don't know the exact date but I would say early 2000's.

They did. They did not rip out the tracks across Pine, Newton, Calvary & River Streets until 2001/2002.

Crews have been dig safe marking Moody Street from High Street to the Newton City Line the past week. Looks like this will be where work will start soon.

City has been ramping up with construction lately. Sidewalks have been reconstructed on Grant Street, Liberty Street, Irving Street & Gordon Street. Crews have been finishing up sidewalk on Wyman Street and will soon be moving to Main Street between Hill Road & Everett Street. New handicap ramps will be going in at Vernon & Prospect Street soon also.

Waverley Oaks Road will be closed tonight from 8PM until tomorrow afternoon from Beaver Street to Trapelo Road to replace the culvert that collapsed in late March.

Back