Washington-Beech BHA Redevelopment | Roslindale

BarbaricManchurian

Reaction score
Hope can revive an asphalt acre
$20m HUD grant to transform Washington-Beech complex

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | March 22, 2008

Boston won a $20 million federal grant this week to redevelop a Roslindale public housing complex that has been plagued with shootings and violence in recent months.

The Washington-Beech development, a 57-year-old complex of brick buildings crisscrossed by concrete and blacktop, will be razed and rebuilt as a landscaped village of mixed-income housing, according to city plans. Residents will be relocated during construction and will have the opportunity to return when work is completed.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino learned about the grant Monday night when he attended a dinner reception at the White House. President Bush told him Boston would receive the money, city officials said yesterday.

It is one of only five such awards, known as Hope VI grants, given out across the nation this year by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"I'm so happy about this," Menino said yesterday after the agency's official announcement.

The cost of redevelopment is expected to be $100.7 million, which includes $26.6 million in city funds, $4.5 million from the state, and $49.9 million from private sources, including donations and grants.

The mayor said he has been looking for ways to improve Washington-Beech since he was a city councilor representing the area in the early 1990s. The city applied twice before for Hope VI grants to redevelop the complex, but was denied.

Boston Housing Authority officials said they hope that replacing the 266 low-income rental units at the site with mixed-income townhouses will help alleviate the crime that can breed amid concentrated poverty.

"This timing could not be better," BHA administrator Sandra Henriquez said yesterday.

Five people have been shot in the vicinity of the Washington-Beech development since November.

Last week, a bullet grazed the neck of a woman in her 30s, and another pierced the chest of a teenage boy at the complex, which is across the street from Phineas Bates Elementary School. Both victims survived.

In January, two men were wounded by gunfire, and another was killed as they sat in a limousine outside the Washington-Beech development. They had been returning from a funeral for another slaying victim.

In November, a 19-year-old man was shot four times as he sat in a cab at Washington-Beech. He survived the attack.

Tenants interviewed yesterday said they are excited about the redevelopment grant. They blamed the recent violence on tenants who have moved into Washington-Beech during the past 18 months.

"We have some crazy people out here right now," said Meena Carr, a tenant at the development since 2001.

Carr, 66, lives at Washington-Beech with her daughter and two grandsons, ages 7 and 8. She says the development is rife with roaches and rickety plumbing and electrical wiring.

Carr said she is looking forward not only to new buildings but to lush landscaping on the grounds.

"One thing that I think we miss here in Washington-Beech is trees, flowers, and shrubs," she said.

Plans for the new development call for construction of 185 rental apartments and four townhouses that will be sold to owner-occupants at the site.

A rendering depicts rows of three- and four-story townhouse-type buildings spread over four square blocks bordered by Washington and Beech streets.

In addition, the plan includes providing 80 rental-assistance subsidies for apartments elsewhere in the city, 50 grants to help cover down payments for first-time home buyers, and funding the construction of six houses elsewhere in the city that will be sold to owner-occupants.

In all, the redevelopment will provide 336 affordable housing units, city officials said.

The new rental apartments at the Washington-Beech site will be available to tenants with an annual income of up to 80 percent of the area median income, or $66,150 for a family of four.

The income requirements will be tiered, with some units set aside for tenants earning certain amounts. One tier, for example, could be those who earn 0 to 20 percent of the median income, another for those earning 20 to 40 percent, and so on, officials said. Currently, there are no tiers, and most tenants, if not all, are on the lower end of the scale, they said.

BHA spokeswoman Lydia Agro said city officials expect to begin relocating residents from the development in the next six to 12 months, and they hope to break ground on the new construction within two years.

HUD officials said Boston was selected from 29 cities that applied for the Hope VI grants. Other cities that received grants this time are Washington, D.C.; Fayetteville, N.C.; New Orleans; and Phoenix.

This is Boston's fourth such award. The city used the other grants to redevelop the Maverick Gardens complex in East Boston, Mission Main in Mission Hill, and Orchard Gardens in Roxbury.

"This funding not only gives cities the resources to build quality affordable housing in these communities; it also improves the quality of life of the residents who live in the public housing," HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson said in a statement.

Donovan Slack can be reached at dslack@globe.com.

c0444a2dae_draw.jpg

Source: Boston Herald

Instead of today?s 266 public-housing apartments - for which tenants pay 30 percent of their income as rent - the new complex will have 185 apartments and 15 homes. All will be available to a wider range of income-eligible people.

The developer will also build another 80 apartments and 56 homes on neary [sic] land for low- and very-low income people.
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1082000&srvc=home&position=also

The Herald's numbers are consistent with those in the HUD press release; the Globe's numbers are not.

472823.p011.jpg

472823.p03.jpg

welcome_01.jpg

maverick_3.jpg

EB50.jpg

SNAG-01763.jpg

Maverick Landing does invite comparisons to the new Charlesview in N. Allston.

This is a step in the right direction but they are still only "nice" projects.

The Washington-Beech development, a 57-year-old complex of brick buildings crisscrossed by concrete and blacktop, will be razed and rebuilt as a landscaped village of mixed-income housing, according to city plans.

"One thing that I think we miss here in Washington-Beech is trees, flowers, and shrubs," she said.

I blame the concrete and blacktop for all those shootings. Trees, flowers and shrubs will prevent future shootings. I read recently that the people in Mission Maine are afraid to leave thier homes, which is one of the reasons it was rebuilt in the first place.

The cost of redevelopment is expected to be $100.7 million, which includes $26.6 million in city funds, $4.5 million from the state, and $49.9 million from private sources, including donations and grants.
I thought Boston had no money.

Carr, 66, lives at Washington-Beech with her daughter and two grandsons, ages 7 and 8. She says the development is rife with roaches and rickety plumbing and electrical wiring.
How come the fathers are'nt helping out?

^c'mon stop being an asshole. This is what Boston should be spending its money on. As much as I love projects like Columbus Center, trying to fix the disasters of 50s-60s public housing is light years more important than building yet another luxury condo tower.

I blame the concrete and blacktop for all those shootings. Trees, flowers and shrubs will prevent future shootings.

There have been NUMEROUS studies that have found that greenery actually does help reduce stress, mental fatigue, and, yes, violence.

Public housing and section 8 account for 40% of the housing in Boston. That's almost a one for one. My point is the same Hope VI rebuild did nothing to change the culture at Mission Main. We need to force the people to change their behavior. They need to keep the trouble maker out just like they do at Columbia Point.

Last edited:
Wait, isn't Mission Main now partially market-rate, and a fairly desirable location these days?

The 40% figure comes from the Boston Globe. I have to admit the story about the residents of Mission Main is from the Heraqld

Every time I see the Washington face of this redev, I marvel at the density. More of this is what's needed all around this corridor.

"Mercedes View"

I know, but even so, the size of the buildings on Washington, in contrast to the adjacent homes, is surprising. It's impressive they were able to make this happen.

I know, but even so, the size of the buildings on Washington, in contrast to the adjacent homes, is surprising. It's impressive they were able to make this happen.

Given what was there before, I don't think it is really impressive that they made it happen at all. It helps to have decrepit old dense projects already to help stream light tearing them down and replacing them with new dense only some-what projects :)

Back