Washington DC

jass

Reaction score
So I just moved to DC for a two month period, which means I wont be posting pics of Boston...

Anyone know of a good development focused forum for the DC area? I want to find out what's being built.

Ill be providing thoughts about DC in this thread as well.

I knew of a bunch of transportation blogs, it had a very active community, more than Boston for sure. I don't know of any development sites however, sorry.

Vans, Im interested in transportation as well, could you provide links?

Shepard, Im in Takoma (DC side). When I told people where I was going, I got a reaction that was less than favorable, but I really like the area. Apparently people in this area have huge misconceptions about it.

Thanks for the links. If anyone has any links to development (buildings) forums, Id love them as well.

Anyway, some quick feedback from the week:

Cons:

DC has a huge shortage of places to sit. No benches on any streets, and the metro stops barely have any.

Very few trees on the streets.

Their downtown is worse than ours when it comes to places to eat and hours open.

Pros: All the walking signals actually count down so that 0 = yellow light.

This is.....strange

----
College Park residents and visitors are welcoming the city's new downtown parking garage as a boon for the long-parking-starved city.

The garage, located at the intersection of Knox Road and Yale Avenue, first opened to drivers on July 22 and a grand opening celebration was held Wednesday. City officials and business owners hope the extra spaces will attract more visitors to the downtown area.

"Parking garages are in many jurisdictions a prime economic development tool," said Mayor Stephen Brayman. "I think it incentivizes redeveloping in the area."

The 288-space, camera-monitored facility brings the city's total parking capacity to more than 900 spaces, an increase of nearly 50 percent. It also provides protection from weather and other cars that isn't afforded by many of the city's outdoor metered spaces.

The current rate to park in the garage is 75 cents per hour, the same as a city parking meter. The garage also provides $60 per-month permits to downtown-area employees. It also contains 5,800 square feet of yet-to-be-leased retail space on the ground floor.

The facility has been mostly empty on weekdays, with less than 25 spaces filled Monday afternoon, and city officials are taking the less-than-busy time to fix electrical or logistical problems that may arise. They expect much bigger crowds when students return to the University of Maryland, College Park, in late August.

"The main factor now is that school is out," Brayman said, adding that more people could come when the city begins advertising the garage along Route 1. "I'm quite confident that a lot of people will park in there [this fall]."

http://www.gazette.net/stories/08062009/collnew182814_32527.shtml

And yes, theres subway access to the area

Are you at UMD? I was looking to visit there in the fall.

How about some pictures?

The sculpture garden in DC hosts free jazz shows every friday afternoon, 5-8pm. Its extremely popular. Besides the free jazz, they sell pitchers of sangria and beer for standard bar prices.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

I love the barefoot guy in the suit.

and jass - here is the forum you seek: http://beyonddc.com/forum/

Their downtown is worse than ours when it comes to places to eat and hours open.

Yes, DC is definitely more boring than Boston. There are so many jobs opening up there that it's hard to resist moving, but I can't really get over that fact (that, and the humidity).

DC has various recreational facilities around, including 3 or 4 aquatic centers. Use is completely free to residents.

Features: Tennis courts, football field with track, weight room, dance room and GIANT POOL, including kiddy area (splash pool) off to a side (left). Not visible are the various diving boards to the right. The newest center features 1 or 2 jacuzzis.

I wish Boston had this.

Pool hours:
Mon - Friday
6am-9pm
Sat-Sun
9am-5pm

Gym/weight room closed 30 minutes earlier.

IMG_1811.jpg

Ewwwww

PUBLIC "aquatic" centers?

</elitism>

Ewwwww

PUBLIC "aquatic" centers?

</elitism>

It was actually very clean, and the nazi lifeguards enforced the "must shower before entering pool" rules.

There were always 2 lifeguards on high chairs and 2 walking around/doing other stuff.

No running!
No kickboards in the non lane area!
Shower!

Silver Spring, just above DC, has developed very rapidly recently.

The good: Wide sidewalks, streetlights developed for pedestrians, and a declining indoor mall revitalized by a vibrant, outdor pedestrian focused strip.

The picture shows construction right outside the metro stop. It will be an intermodal station for Metro, MARC (commuter rail), DC and Maryland buses, and the future purple line light rail.

The bad: Very wide multilane streets and enormous new parking garages, free after 7pm and all weekend long. While people walk in silver spring, most people arrive by car.

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Amongst all the new development, a classic diner, opened in 1933, is open 24 hours. Patrons enjoy a milkshake, eggs, or beer at 3am or 3pm. Boston needs more of these.

IMG_2731.jpg

These edge cities are so depressing. Tysons Corner (I hate the name; it's like the rural Virginia refuses to ever rub off) has nearly as many daytime workers as downtown Washington, and is increasingly referred to as the "second city" of the metro (poor Baltimore).

Tysons Corner (I hate the name; it's like the rural Virginia refuses to ever rub off)

Not fair -- we have Coolidge Corner, Fields Corner, Packards Corner, and Uphams Corner.

Yeah, but when I think "Tyson", I think southern fried chicken.

Amongst all the new development, a classic diner, opened in 1933, is open 24 hours. Patrons enjoy a milkshake, eggs, or beer at 3am or 3pm. Boston needs more of these.

Can't beat
southstreetdiner_main.jpg

Back