Washington Plaza (Whole Foods Redevelopment) | 15 Washington St. | Brighton

Yesterday, I found out that the City of Boston had sent out a partition for us all to sign if we still wanted the project to move forward with the construction. I was one of the ones that signed for it. It is said that only 50 signatures are needed from our building to help make it unanimous. I thought that this project was just about ready to go. But as it turns out, some of the residents in the area are already complaining about the noise!! Hello! It's going to take SOME noise to build the damn thing!!!! Geeeeeez!!! o_O

Last edited:
I'm all for projects like these. I haven't been on here long, but am interested to see the opinions on surface lots. I can understand from an aesthetic perspective, but if I go to Whole Foods, where am I supposed to park?

According to what I heard, a garage will be put underground there so that an apartment building can be put there over it. :)

Last edited:
I'm all for projects like these. I haven't been on here long, but am interested to see the opinions on surface lots. I can understand from an aesthetic perspective, but if I go to Whole Foods, where am I supposed to park?
That’s your own problem and nobody else’s.

where am I supposed to park?
For people who need to or want to drive, they're building structured parking with more than 300 spots. That's maybe 3x what's there now with the surface parking (just eyeballing it). The new spots are split between residential and commercial uses, but I can't immediately find what that split is. Either way, it looks like if you want to drive to Whole Foods, they got you covered.

However, a major benefit of a grocery store like this in the neighborhood is that most people don't *have* to drive. People walk to the store and carry a couple of bags, or get a small cart. Or people bike. It's harder to do massive, Costo-style bulk shopping that way, and so people don't. It probably means shopping more often, but that's easier when it's so close for so many people.

There is a lot of parking in this project--it's in the building instead of a surface lot. You can see a good plan on page 34 of this presentation. Whole Foods isn't going to give up parking even in a super transit oriented area.

For people who need to or want to drive, they're building structured parking with more than 300 spots. That's maybe 3x what's there now with the surface parking (just eyeballing it). The new spots are split between residential and commercial uses, but I can't immediately find what that split is. Either way, it looks like if you want to drive to Whole Foods, they got you covered.

However, a major benefit of a grocery store like this in the neighborhood is that most people don't *have* to drive. People walk to the store and carry a couple of bags, or get a small cart. Or people bike. It's harder to do massive, Costo-style bulk shopping that way, and so people don't. It probably means shopping more often, but that's easier when it's so close for so many people.

And to accommodate that many cars, it will probably be more than one parking level, probably with access to the Whole Foods market. And don't forget, that a larger one will be put on the opposite end of the land. :)

BCDC: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/1ie2pkvlyfnfcpyff9iaqhnbs2b7y81k

1687368600434.png

1687368630496.png

1687368657341.png

I feel like this project has been going through various iterations since like 2018... seems like a no brainer and wish it would get built!

They are no closer to staring construction now, than they were a few years ago. I say "Don't just talk about it, BE about it"!!!

This program does NOT seem to be getting off the ground!!! I wonder if it has hit a snag somewhere!! :unsure:

I reside right across from Whole Foods & my car is parked on Corey Road. I'm not moving the car just to be able to go there, & end up losing the spot where I'm parked!! I'll just as soon walk over, like I did yesterday!! Parking your car on those streets is just too damn ridiculous because there are too many no-parking spots!!!! Hah!! :mad:

Last edited:
I reside right across from Whole Foods & my car is parked on Corey Road. I'm not moving the car just to be able to go there, & end up losing the spot where I'm parked!! I'll just walk over, like I did yesterday!! Parking your car on those streets is just too damn ridiculous because there are too many no-parking spots!!!! Hah!! :mad:
As someone who used to drive here from another neighborhood and stopped because the traffic on Washington is so impossible, I think the improvements (reduction in curb cuts) are potentially really great for the neighborhood.

Also, they've said they are providing the same number of spaces for the new Whole Foods. The added spaces are for the residential.

The whole thing is when, JUST WHEN will this proposed plan start showing some signs of construction?! Seems like almost a decade is about to be reached, yet nothing has materialized as of yet!! The Brookliner is almost complete, yet this program seems to be dragging its feet without a peep out of it! :eek:

Last edited:
The whole thing is when, JUST WHEN will this proposed plan start showing some signs of construction?! Seems like almost a decade is about to be reached, yet nothing has materialized as of yet!! The Brookliner is almost complete, yet this program seems to be dragging its feet without a peep out of it! :eek:
Look, I love Whole Paycheck Salsa as much as any yoga-loving white lady from Needham. I’m also not going to go after anyone for picking their project hill to die on. However, you have to understand that sometimes developers run out of financing. There’s also sewer and irrigation issues, lawsuits from neighbors that can put a halt to these projects. Without following the Whole Foods project in Brighton, I can say that if it’s on Washington Street in Brighton, you probably have some very haughty abutters in Brookline who will drag their feet. I wouldn’t expect anything less from Brookline. You have been on this board for how long? You should know by know that Brookline gonna Brookline.

The most recent BCDC design committee presentation was june 20, 2023 so its not like its stalled, its still moving through the process, just slowly like so many projects do.

Of course checking for any other news on the site you come across the usual bullshit from the nimby neighbors.

Brighton-Brookline Residents Oppose Kimco's Whole Foods Project.​

Neighborhood resident comments submitted to Boston Planning & Development Agency show why they oppose Whole Foods Reconstruction project.

“Most of the over 200 neighborhood residents who have submitted comments to the City of Bosotn’s Boston Planning and Development Agency [BPDA]’s website, however, have expressed opposition to Kimco’s proposed Whole Foods Reconstruction luxury apartment project and indicated that the project will harm, not benefit, the neighboring community. One neighborhood resident, for example, argued against the City of Boston approving Kimco’s proposed project in Brighton, by writing the following:

“The construction of a new residential high-rise complex occupying the entire block from
Allston Street to Corey Road will lead to intractable traffic problems. It will be a monstrous problem for the entire area.
“From time to time we already face problems for pedestrians and vehicles. Imagine you have added more businesses, 290-plus apartments, as well as about 100 apartments in a new development [by another real estate developer] across the street from the..school [at 5 Washington Street] on the corner of Washington and Corey Roads.
“In other words, it will add at least 350 vehicles for the new residents of this block, who move
in and out at least twice a day and during peak hours. That's not counting the growing number of cars and trucks at the new Whole Food and CVS….
“Also, consider that 20 and 30 Washington Streets are mostly for elderly and disabled, and
ambulances or fire trucks come and park on Washington Street almost every day. In general, a good residential area consisting of low-income buildings, a…school, a middle-size Whole Food store will be turned into a monster bee hive...And the city council also has an obligation to think about these people.”

-Think of the elderly!!! 🤦‍♂️

And then after the BCDC presentation and the public opposition you get this:

New Design Submitted for Brighton Whole Foods Redevelopment​

“A redesigned redevelopment of the Whole Foods Market property in Brighton will add home ownership units and a pocket park on Washington Street, while reducing the total housing component and size of the project.

Developer Kimco Realty of Jericho, New York responded to comments from neighborhood residents and Boston Planning & Development Agency staff by reducing the 15 Washington St. project to 253,288 square feet, a nearly 30,000-square-foot decrease. Previously the project proposed a floor area ratio of 2.8, which has been reduced to 2.5.

The proposal, originally submitted in 2018, has been amended to include 18 condominiums while reducing the total housing units from 270 to 229. All of the project’s 35 affordable units – comprising 15 percent of the housing – will be located on-site.”

https://bankerandtradesman.com/new-design-submitted-for-brighton-whole-foods-redevelopment/

-Its so insane how every single project gets units knocked off for no reason at all other than nimbys show up and bitch about things. This timeline is nuts.

Last edited:

Back