Waterville, Maine

mainejeff

Reaction score
Fresh off completing the new downtown traffic and infrastructure project.....the new Paul J. Schupf arts center was opened to the public on Friday. Some good pics included in the article. I'm not totally sold on Waterville becoming an "arts destination" but Colby is hellbent on this transformation and putting their gobs of money where their mouth is. We'll see how this develops over the next decade.

I think Colby's main goal is to make Waterville less of a place that makes prospective freshman say "Yuck!" They've accomplished that, to some extent; at least Main St. is no longer filled with shells of long-gone department stores, facades that hadn't been updated in 50 years, and the decaying husk of the former Waterville Hardware. Looking back, I marvel that I was still able to buy a very nice outfit for a date from Levine's in 1993.

Renewal Housing has proposed a 2-building, 61-unit multifamily housing development on the corner of Front and Temple Streets.

This project will also include a mix of retail and office space.

Article:

It's been really amazing to see Waterville come to life over the past 5-10 years. Waterville has a lot to offer and I'm glad more people are seeing that.
1674738264091.png

Waterville is rocking it thanks to Colby College and city leaders who are engaged and realize that a revitalized downtown core is paramount to a livable and vibrant municipality. I would now place Waterville ahead of Augusta as Maine's fourth most relevant city after Portland, Bangor and Lewiston!

Waterville is rocking it thanks to Colby College and city leaders who are engaged and realize that a revitalized downtown core is paramount to a livable and vibrant municipality. I would now place Waterville ahead of Augusta as Maine's fourth most relevant city after Portland, Bangor and Lewiston!

Definitely in terms of vision and new development for downtown cores.

Back