welcome to america, now speak english

P

Patrick

I am curious what people's opinions are on this matter. I knwo where I stand and I have a good idea where others stand, but if you have the time and are interested, comment on this story from netscape.com anyway...

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Bistec con queso? Not at Geno's Steaks.

An English-only ordering policy has thrust one of Philadelphia's best-known cheesesteak joints into the national immigration debate.

Situated in a South Philadelphia immigrant neighborhood, Geno's - which together with its chief rival, Pat's King of Steaks, forms the epicenter of an area described as ``ground zero for cheesesteaks'' - has posted small signs telling customers, ``This Is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING `SPEAK ENGLISH.'''

``They don't know how lucky they are. All we're asking them to do is learn the English language,'' said Geno's owner Joseph Vento, 66. ``We're out to help these people, but they've got to help themselves, too.''

Vento, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after immigrating from Sicily in the 1920s, said he posted the sign about six months ago amid concerns over immigration reform and the increasing number of customers who could not order in English when they wanted Philly's gooey, greasy specialty - fried steak, sliced or chopped, in a long roll, with cheese and fried onions.

Of course, it's not as if native Philadelphians speak the King's English either. A Philadelphian might order a cheesesteak by saying something like, ``Yo, gimme a cheesesteak wit, will youse?'' (``Wit,'' or ``with,'' means with fried onions.) To which the counterman might reply: ``Youse want fries widdat?''

The traditionally Italian community near Geno's has become more diverse over the decades. Immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in, joining longtime residents and young professionals seeking reasonably priced rowhouses. In the past 10 years, an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 Mexican immigrants - many of them here illegally, community leaders say - have settled in South Philly.

Vento said his staff is glad to help non-native speakers order in English and has never turned someone away because of a language barrier.

But the policy has ``really upset a lot of a people,'' said Brad Baldia of Day Without An Immigrant, a coalition of immigrant groups. ``For some people, I think we're just going to say, `Le gusta Pat's.'''

Juntos, a Hispanic neighborhood organization, said it plans to send people to Geno's to try to order in Spanish and may pursue court action, depending on what happens.

``His grandparents encountered the same racism and the same xenophobia,'' said Peter Bloom, the group's director. ``Why would he begin that process over again?''

Vento said he has gotten plenty of criticism and threats. One person told him they hoped one his many neon signs flames out and burns the place down, he said. But he said he plans to hold his ground.

Customers placing orders on a recent morning seemed unfazed.

Angelica Marquez, 22 and originally from Puerto Rico, ordered in well-spoken English, but said some of her relatives struggle with the language. ``They always come and just say `cheesesteak,''' Marquez said, adding that the policy ``bothers her some'' but not enough to keep her away.

When a non-English speaking customer showed up at the window a short time later, a clerk patiently coached him through the process. Eventually, both said ``cheesesteak.''

Vento, a short, fiery man with a ninth-grade education, arms covered in tattoos and a large diamond ring in his ear, also sells ``freedom fries'' to protest France's opposition to the Iraq war. He rails against Mumia Abu-Jamal, the black man who was convicted of killing police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981 and has become a cause celebre among some death penalty opponents. Memorials to Faulkner are posted at his shop.

Those who market the city, often using images of Geno's and other famous steak shops, are watching with concern.

``I certainly wouldn't want a national audience to think it represented all of the wonderful cheesesteak makers in the whole city,'' said Meryl Levitz, president and chief executive of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp. ``This isn't representative of the Philadelphia attitude.''

Competitors are seizing on the controversy.

Tony Luke's issued a statement saying it welcomes all customers ``whether or not they speak a `wit' of English.''

And a manager at Pat's, Kathy Smith, said of Geno's English-only policy: ``That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to the Spanish than the foul language of the college students.''

Joseph Vento is a racist fuckin' moron.

I do believe all immigrants should learn English. But, how quickly are they supposed to learn the language? They are not going to instantly grasp it. It takes time and we will have to tolerate that fact. So, why get upset about it?

In my own experiences, I have never encountered a situation where an immigrant actually refused to speak English. They just can't sometimes. Get over it. I'm sure all of these people want to integrate into out society. But, also, want to hold onto their own customs, languages and heritage. Why are we so afaid of that?

If you are dealing with someone who cannot speak our language (maybe, directions in the street or in a service situation, whatever) find out what they want and at that moment teach them the proper (English) way to say it. Educate them yourself. Most just turn their backs and write these people off.

Remember: The vast majority or us have ancesters who were pretty much in the same boat (pardon the pun). I think our society has forgotten that fact.

If people are coming here illegally and abusing our systems, whose fault is that? We have left to many loopholes in our social programs to allow abuse. We've been,essentially, compltely ineffective in policing our borders. Whose fault is that? I'd rather live here than there too.

If this problem has gotten out of control it is our own fault.

We need to drastically enhance security at our borders. As far as the 5-40million or so illegals already here, we cannot round them up. We need to set up programs were they can register, start paying taxes, and earn their way to citizenship in some way. Since they are comitting a crime it should most definitely not be made too easy for them. I'm thinking some community service, fines, even probationary periods till they're granted citizenship.

I'm tired I'm goin to bed. good nite

interesting views. I dont think anyone should have to learn english, for the following reasons. one, if they can get by without speaking it, then chances are they reside in an ethnic bubble with others like themselves. in that case, why make them sopeak english when there would be only a very marginal benefit. two, if they are not in an ethnic bubble, they will only be hurting themselves by not learning english (or spanish if they are non latin and living in certain parts of amaerica) and this should be the biggest motivator for them to learn. basically, it makes no sense (that is, it is non-sense) to blanket the whole country with a requirement to speak english...what we should do is just keep it as our official language, meaning to conduct business one would need to understand english...this achieves the same goal with a lesser degree of unfairness. and lets face it, spanish-decent peoples, and therefore the spanish language itself, are the fastest growing "minorities" in the country, both by immigration and by natural reproduction...one day we might all be forced to learn spanish. haha, well at least new england would be last!

This Vento guy is a complete jackass. why would he want to surround his business with such negativity? I suppose that tourists visiting from out of the country that don't speak english would be subject to his same rules? He's a racist xenophobe.

amnety.jpg

amnety2.jpg

Notice how the Minutemen bumper sticker says "Defending America's Border" not "Defending America's Borders".
...As much as I find having a common language useful, I prefer America as a language-neutral nation, and similarly a religion-neutral nation, based if anything on common ideals.

I don't really have a problem with having English being the primary language. I also don't mind when I'm on the T, seeing stuff written in Spanish (instructions, stops, etc.) and Portugese (there are a lot of Brazilians in Boston).

However when you go some place like a mom and pop store or a restaurant you cannot expect someone there to speak your language. For example if you only speak Spanish and you go down to the corner pizza place to grab a pie, odds are there's not going to be someone there who speaks Spanish. Sadly you might be out of luck and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the business to accomidate you.

On the same token when you're an American traveling abroad it's laughable to think that wherever you're going, there's going to be someone who speaks English. It's almost arrogant to not brush up on your Spanish or French or whatever language corresponds with the country/area your visiting, even if it's just common words, make the effort.

Those photos are hilarious. Where and when did you take them?

Reminds me of this:
Morans.jpg

If people come to America, they should have to learn English. Working in retail, what bothers me the most is the arrogance of so many people who don't even bother to try to learn English, they just expect there to be Spanish-speaking people working in the store. And then they don't even understand things as simple as "you need a usb cable for your printer or it won't work" and get mad when they get home and find out it doesn't work.

There should be a law saying that people have to learn English within a year of immigrating here or they have to go back home.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
If people come to America, they should have to learn English. Working in retail, what bothers me the most is the arrogance of so many people who don't even bother to try to learn English, they just expect there to be Spanish-speaking people working in the store. And then they don't even understand things as simple as "you need a usb cable for your printer or it won't work" and get mad when they get home and find out it doesn't work.

There should be a law saying that people have to learn English within a year of immigrating here or they have to go back home.
Ummm no this is America. We can choose to learn to speak English or not. Also it is not easy at all to learn English in one year. I am 100% sure that you didn't learn every English phrases and words that are used everyday until you were at least in 3rd grade. It's not as easy as it looks. If you can learn how to fluently speak Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese or any other foreign language in under a year plus going through your daily lives like working and taking care of the family, then I will applaud you. Frankly I don't think it is possible for everyone to do that.

DarkFenX said:
DudeUrSistersHot said:

Ummm no this is America. We can choose to learn to speak English or not. Also it is not easy at all to learn English in one year. I am 100% sure that you didn't learn every English phrases and words that are used everyday until you were at least in 3rd grade. It's not as easy as it looks. If you can learn how to fluently speak Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese or any other foreign language in under a year plus going through your daily lives like working and taking care of the family, then I will applaud you. Frankly I don't think it is possible for everyone to do that.

In that case, they can stay in their own country until they learn it.

BostonSkyGuy said:
However when you go some place like a mom and pop store or a restaurant you cannot expect someone there to speak your language. For example if you only speak Spanish and you go down to the corner pizza place to grab a pie, odds are there's not going to be someone there who speaks Spanish. Sadly you might be out of luck and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the business to accomidate you.
When I, say, go for a burrito at some random place in East Boston, I know full well that there could be language issues between me and whoever's taking my order. I've done this several times, and their English has always been plenty good enough. But I'd be OK with it either way. I don't have to shop there. For me it's like a little vacation to an exotic land. I just wish I spoke better Spanish.

The problem comes when people aren't polite about language issues. DudeUrSistersHot, I feel like your problem with some Spanish-speaking customers is more a shitty customer issue than a language issue. If they were polite about it, maybe they still wouldn't figure out how to work that printer, but would the whole thing bother you so much?

Speaking of shitty customers, has anyone seen Clerks II? Is it any good?

quadratdackel said:
When I, say, go for a burrito at some random place in East Boston, I know full well that there could be language issues between me and whoever's taking my order. I've done this several times, and their English has always been plenty good enough. But I'd be OK with it either way. I don't have to shop there. For me it's like a little vacation to an exotic land. I just wish I spoke better Spanish.

I don't know if you were disagreeing with me or not but that is exactly my point. When you go to eat or buy something from a place where the language the proprietor is speaking, isn't yours--it's your responsibility to make the connection and get what you want, not theirs. I'm not using "your" to single out you quad, just the consumer base in general. Your example is a good one, when you go to grab a burrito odds are the person working their is going to have Spanish as their first language. When ordering you have to make sure you order in a way they can understand or learn how to properly say the menu items. If you make a mistake, it's on you not them. The same way if that person speaking Spanish at the burrito place goes into a predominantly English speaking establishment, it's on them to convey their order/wants to the person working.

Speaking of shitty customers, has anyone seen Clerks II? Is it any good?

I loved Clerks, but I haven't seen Clerks II. I'm not sure if I really want to see it to be honest. Clerks was such a classic (in my mind anyways) that I doubt the second one could do it justice. I might wait until it's on HBO or something.

So quadratdackel, you don't think Dudes problem really is that he is an arrogant silver spoon up-his-ass suburbanite who listens to too much talk radio?

That would have been my guess...

I mean "Dudeyoursistershot" what kind of 4 year old comes up with a name like that?

quadratdackel said:
The problem comes when people aren't polite about language issues. DudeUrSistersHot, I feel like your problem with some Spanish-speaking customers is more a shitty customer issue than a language issue. If they were polite about it, maybe they still wouldn't figure out how to work that printer, but would the whole thing bother you so much?

It probably wouldn't. I've had Spanish-speaking customers who are nice and I'm not really bothered by them at all. It's still a pain, though, when I have to grab the only other Spanish-speaking person in my department because people haven't learned English.

Another problem is the fact that, as a whole, Spanish speaking people are poorer than English-speaking people, and therefore come in expecting us to have really cheap things (say, a laptop for $400) that we lose $300 on in stock. When they find out that we don't, they get annoyed, because they honestly expected to be able to come in and buy it that cheap, as if we would actually have it and there would be nothing else (Microsoft Office, antivirus/spyware software, case, etc) that they would need. I admittedly have the same problem with native English speakers quite often.

Regardless, people who come to America should know how to speak English, or, failing that, should be required to learn.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
Regardless, people who come to America should know how to speak English, or, failing that, should be required to learn.

What about non English speaking natives?

I know I'm going to regret dipping my toe in this one, but Dude? Really? Is there something about foreign languages you find threatening? So threatening that you think its worthwhile that a new national law be passed requiring that every citizen have a certain type of knowledge? Personally, new federal laws that dictate individual's behavior make me kind of nervous. When such laws are specifically directed at strengthening national unity, which would be the best argument for a language law, then I get really nervous and visions of Mussolini dance in my head. Laws that require a type of behavior (you must speak English), rather than prohibit one (you can't smoke crack) freak me out. So, put aside the issue at hand (Spanish-speaking people looking for good deals on computers) and think about what you're asking for--a national law that mandates a certain form of individual behavior. Mr. Slippery, say hello to Mr. Slope. Before you respond, think about what you're asking for. Think about the precedent.

There's a damn good reason you're approach would be flagrantly unconstitutional.

chumbolly said:
I know I'm going to regret dipping my toe in this one, but Dude? Really? Is there something about foreign languages you find threatening? So threatening that you think its worthwhile that a new national law be passed requiring that every citizen have a certain type of knowledge? Personally, new federal laws that dictate individual's behavior make me kind of nervous. When such laws are specifically directed at strengthening national unity, which would be the best argument for a language law, then I get really nervous and visions of Mussolini dance in my head. Laws that require a type of behavior (you must speak English), rather than prohibit one (you can't smoke crack) freak me out. So, put aside the issue at hand (Spanish-speaking people looking for good deals on computers) and think about what you're asking for--a national law that mandates a certain form of individual behavior. Mr. Slippery, say hello to Mr. Slope. Before you respond, think about what you're asking for. Think about the precedent.

There's a damn good reason you're approach would be flagrantly unconstitutional.

Consider this: Our country requires that kids go to school for a certain period in their youth so that they can learn the basic knowledge that will allow them to function in society. Given that fact, is it unreasonable to require that people in America also learn English, in addition to arithmetic and other things? I think not.

The first step in an immigrant being able to integrate into a society and move up the social ladder is to speak the language. Those who don't are trapped in enclaves and generally menial jobs the rest of their life, or become dependent on their children who have learned the language to support them. Forcing someone to learn the language of the country they decide to immigrate to isn't being mean, it's being realistic. A person is making a decision to change their life when they move to another country, the new country doesn't need to bend over backwards to change for them.

This issue is completely warped by these racist Minuteman types, who should be volunteering at English as a Second Language programs instead of stalking the border with shotguns as if they were protecting the purity of the American people. Yes, the Minutemen are the extremist minority, but this condescending-towards-foreigners vibe I'm getting from Dude is hardly unusual. At least he caught himself stereotyping Spanish speakers as poor.

That said, there's nothing racist about wanting one common language so everyone can communicate with each other. In 2006, English is that language- the, dare I say it, lingua franca. And not just in the US, but worldwide. When the Japanese and the French have a business meeting, they're likely to conduct it in English. Of course, they're not mandated by law to learn English- they choose to do so because it helps their careers and lives in general. Ditto for Latinos in East Boston and beyond, which is why I've never actually had trouble ordering a burrito from them. On the other hand, countries like India and many in Africa which have multiple indigenous languages often mandate a national language (often that of the former European colonizer) in order to facilitate national communications. Nigeria, for example has 250 spoken languages and uses English as its official language.

Me, I support English as the current de facto national language, i.e. the status quo. (Yikes, I'm using lots of borrowed Latin today. I suppose that's fitting for a linguistics discussion...) The US should not adopt an official national language or legally mandated language requirements and should not try stopping language enclaves that develop within the country (and have for centuries), again, because we're a nation based on ideas, not on ethnic identity.

One problem is how few Americans actually speak another language or have spent time anywhere non-English speaking. If they did, they'd learn a little humility, because it ain't easy. Foreign language is by far the subject we do the worst in, and it leaves us clinging to our safe little (OK, big) country. Fear of losing that probably motivates the Minuteman types.

Oh, and everyone should go explore Queens sometime. It's quite possibly the most ethnically diverse place on the planet. Very awesome. And the book Guns, Germs, and Steel was a fascinating discussion of why, for example, Europe colonized Africa and not the other way around. (natural resources, not race.)

ps. A friend tells me Clerks II is great, but I'll probably wait for the DVD release. I will admit I'm planning to see Snakes on a Plane opening night.

Back