Welcome to Boston, not perfect but...NOT BAD AT ALL (from the Clarendon Thread)

WISERPAK

Reaction score
Is there ANYTHING that's been built or planned or proposed or "whatever-it-will-be-in-this-beautiful-city" forum actually YOU will agree with?
It does appear to me that "THIS" forum (just to use a Latin word) is going on ONLY in negative sentences. NOTHING seems to be good enough, or well proposed enough or well planned enough!

I guess you can build a new city and make it a "WORDER OF IT ALL", all by yourselves!

Can you???????????

I went to the "Puma City" today.
Nothing really special about it expect for those beautiful racing boats!
BUT!
The very first building of the Fan Pier DOES LOOK GOOD!
Pre-cast, after-cast, no-cast, W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!!!!!!
The glass does it job!
It does DELIVER!
NOT PERFECT, BUT NOT BAD AT ALL!

Re: The Clarendon

That could be the motto of the city: "Welcome to Boston, not perfect but...NOT BAD AT ALL!"

That could be the motto of the city: "Welcome to Boston, not perfect but...NOT BAD AT ALL!"

Hahaha we need to put that somewhere in the city. We're a city that always seems to be on the brink of greatness without ever taking that extra step

Well, at least we hold ourselves to a high standard, right? If we praised every shit project that went on then we'd end up worse than we began. I think, though, that with the Big Dig coming to a close, our sports dominating, and the economy getting poised to rebound-Boston could, could, take that next step and become one of the greatest cities in North America-within 25 years. Or maybe I'm too optimistic.

Boston could, could, take that next step and become one of the greatest cities in North America-within 25 years. Or maybe I'm too optimistic.
It's not already? What North American cities would you list in front of Boston?

NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal, Toronto, maybe Vancouver or Seattle. Not many others.

New York and Chicago for sure, L.A. ATL and MIA have more night life, Havana (not sure if that is part of N America) I heard is real good, Guadalahara (Central America expt it's actually a part of North America) , and then I,d say San Fran, Philly, DC, Toronto, and Montreal and Vancover are on par maybe also Seattle.

Boston is easily the 2nd or 3rd best city of its size in North America, and even beats out much bigger cities such as Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, and Chicago. It is a very short list that is better than Boston: New York obviously, San Francisco, Quebec City, and Mexico City. Other cities aren't even close (I'm mostly judging by level of urbanity ).

Boston is easily the 2nd or 3rd best city of its size in North America, and even beats out much bigger cities such as Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, and Chicago. It is a very short list that is better than Boston: New York obviously, San Francisco, Quebec City, and Mexico City. Other cities aren't even close (I'm mostly judging by level of urbanity ).

a VERY small portion of Quebec City is better than what you'd find in Boston. A tiny portion in fact. I wouldn't say it's better overall because nearly all newer development in that city is mediocre and outside the Old City it's residential portions are very low density.

a VERY small portion of Quebec City is better than what you'd find in Boston. A tiny portion in fact. I wouldn't say it's better overall because nearly all newer development in that city is mediocre and outside the Old City it's residential portions are very low density.

yes, most of the city is typical suburbia, but just the one part is a perfect intact old world style urban environment, something that you can only find in the other cities I listed and Boston.

Oh hooray, on par with Dallas, Kiev, and Luxembourg.

Should we rename this the Boston love-fest circle jerk? Why does this city have such a low self image? Do you people realize that we have some of the most important universities IN THE WORLD? In terms of architecture we have some of the best examples of almost every genre.

Carpenter Center. Nuf said. Look it up.

Oh hooray, on par with Dallas, Kiev, and Luxembourg.

And also Amsterdam, Chicago, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Toronto in one list, and Amsterdam, Caracas, Dallas, Dusseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington DC in another. I'd say that's pretty good company. And even when Boston is mentioned in the same breath as much bigger cities as Dallas and Kiev, that's definitely something to be proud of; even according to your evidence, Boston is definitely one of the most important global cities per capita. Of course, a healthy dose of "what we can do better" is good, but extreme pessimism so that we don't even see how great our city is already isn't really good for our sanity ;)

Nothing compares to New York. Boston belongs on that short list of second- tier cities that also includes Los Angeles, Chicago, maybe Washington D.C., and maybe San Francisco. San Francisco has great vistas, but up close, it often seems shallow and somewhat seedy. I love it, but it seems somehow insubstantial in parts. I suppose much of the same could be said about Boston.

After these, it's all downhill....the rest of our cities don't even come close.

Boston doesn't beat out San Francisco, and doesn't really come close to NYC or Chicago. LA is a totally different game-Boston is probably better in terms of quality, but look at the facts-LA is a bigger city. I might put it a little above Montreal, for sure above Toronto. Mexico City has a little problem with poverty and pollution, so I don't know if that counts.

What I mean is, in 25 years, Boston could and should be better or at least on par with San Francisco, Vancouver, and Seattle. In my opinion, these are probably the nicest medium-sized cities in the US.

Above Toronto? The largest city and financial center of Canada and the most diverse city in the world?

Do you have a citation for "most diverse city in the world"? I'm not doubting you, just never heard the claim before. If it's true, I'd guess that Los Angeles and NYC are close second and third, and London's in the mix too.

Above Toronto? The largest city and financial center of Canada and the most diverse city in the world?

Most diverse? Are you kidding me? Even LA is more diverse, and don't get me started on New York. Diversity in Toronto generally consists of East Asians, which both LA and NY have, but LA and NY also have Latinos, Blacks and other Asians (non East Asians) of all types, from almost all countries of the world in greater numbers than Toronto. That's one reason why NY is thought of as a world city: because you have all the world's peoples in one ultradense, racially peaceful megacity.

And being the biggest city of a small country is good and all, but when it doesn't really have anything defining about its city besides having a tall TV tower and nice city hall, it's not even on the level of a lower 1st tier US city like Boston.

I don't hate Toronto at all, it has an amazing airport and respectable skyline, but almost all of it is typical North American suburbia, albeit with a few more "towers in the park" (including in downtown), and its much baleyhooed diversity isn't much different from other major North American cities.

Back