West Cambridge / Alewife Area Infill & Small Developments

Has anyone called his office? Written to him about this mess of improper urban planning?
His office encouraged too damn much of that short-attention span planning. The locals derisively call the recent MassDOT revamp of the 2 rotary "Brownsberger Square" for how much he personally claimed credit for a redesign that did less-than nothing to improve the traffic.

As my local rep for nearly a decade and living across Danehy Park from that mess, I can attest that he talks a good game about congestion and planning but there's no there there when it comes to blindly nodding at the next car-centric albatross proposed for the area.

Cambridge is not THAT bad border-to-border planning-wise. Kendall wouldn't be Kendall if they didn't exercise some clue about things far more often than not. But Alewife is legit this planning Bermuda Triangle that seems to repeatedly cause brainlock in the same planners capable of getting it right elsewhere in town, and it's always been a bewildering mystery why that's the way it is.

Some of it I think might be the Sunk Cost Fallacy at work. As in, they zigged towards a car-centric bent with the first wave of developments years ago but convinced themselves in the face of mounting congestion problems that it would be impossible to zag in the other direction and change the makeup...that they must keep trying to perfect the trajectory they originally set out on. It inhibits relatively simple interventions like rejecting submissions that spec themselves to near-rote 1:1 parking space to occupant ratio. Even if nothing else problematic about these buildings got subject to troubleshooting, simply sending it back to the developer with a request to "reduce the parking ratio a bit" and no more would start pushing the inertia to a somewhat more stable place. But because they tied themselves in knots overvaluing precedent it ends up telling them "dig UP, stupid!" isn't an option, so each new in-ground garage catering to single-occupancy vehicles gets rubber-stamped even as the City has to be realizing at some level it's making the problem worse. The war was lost long ago with Cambridge Park and Acorn Park, but this is how Concord Ave. is actively and in real-time careening towards the same fate with new stuff being greenlit in waves at the same patently insane parking ratio.

Last edited:
It inhibits relatively simple interventions like rejecting submissions that spec themselves to near-rote 1:1 parking space to occupant ratio. Even if nothing else problematic about these buildings got subject to troubleshooting, simply sending it back to the developer with a request to "reduce the parking ratio a bit" and no more would start pushing the inertia to a somewhat more stable place.

Beyond the "it's at the edge, so who cares" attitude, Alewife also suffers from its highway access. Because it's where the Red Line meets Route 2, developers see an opportunity to serve the Route 128 market "and it also has transit access!", rather than building a true TOD neighborhood. Alewife is a park-and-ride, not a neighborhood T station.

There's no difference planning-wise between Acorn Park and something out in Burlington, and of course there should have been, but that development was built to serve the 128 market instead of the Kendall refugee market, and with the highway right there it's easy to see how that happened.

Same applies to the residential - these apartments "need" parking spaces because they're aimed at people who work in Waltham and want the easy reverse commute.

Regarding the terrible directional distribution of the Alewife bus routes, I've always assumed that the reason there were never any routes going towards Concord Ave is that the ancient rickety bridge that used to be there couldn't handle buses, and they never bothered to rethink the bus routes after it was replaced by the "new" bridge.

I think HP specifically chose one of the Cambridge Park Drive buildings to locate an office because of the highway. They wanted to be able to attract younger folks, but the older folks with their families in the burbs didn’t want to drive all the way to Kendall.

Same applies to the residential - these apartments "need" parking spaces because they're aimed at people who work in Waltham and want the easy reverse commute.

Disagree, I'm sure the Vox is $$$ and to justify it they are attracting people working at Kendall instead of suburbia. But yes you need a car to live there. The developers hands are probably tied due to the wetlands and integrating it better can't happen due to that.

It's the same sort of deal with the Riverside project. You need a car.

Passed by on 2 a couple hours ago just as the sun had come out. The Staties were decamping from the last stages of another accident cleanup at one of the curb cuts that happened during this morning's snow.

Vox: Come for the views and quiet, stay for the higher auto insurance rates.:poop:

Great jerb, Cambridge. You're really killing it here.

I agree with your first and third points, but I don't understand the second. How else are people going to get to work from the northwest if not driving on Route 2 at least to Alewife if not further? We absolutely could and should narrow Route 2 east of 128, but that's not going to solve the traffic problem at Alewife because the extra width is not inducing demand. Driving is literally the only real option for people who don't live close to the Fitchburg Line or the Lowell Line.
George -- that is a totally ridiculous set of points and also your further comments

There are lots of people who live west of Alewife in places such as Belmont, Lexington, Waltham to whom Rt-2 is essential as it provides essential access to Boston, Cambridge and Somerville as well as to Brookline

In particular most people who live in the near-north western suburbs and use RT-2 are quite bothered by the existing "Road Diet" that happens in 2 stages from 4 lanes to 3 and then 3 to [1+1 +..0.4] due to the Bridge

A major improvement would be to carry all 4 lanes down to where the first exit westbound occurs and then split Rt-2 into two sets of lanes:
  1. Alewife T / Cambridge via Fresh Pond Pky -- 2 lanes -- including better access to Alewife T and Cambridge Park Dr.
  2. and 2 others going to Alewife Pky /Somerville
That would of course require rebuilding the bridge and the pedestrian overpass and shifting some of Rt-2's existing West bound lanes to allow an access lane on the Eastbound side dedicated just for the development currently fronting on the highway

Where was anyone suggesting that Route 2 wasn't mission-critical? I'm baffled as to how anyone could read this thread and walk away with that as a summary.

The Acorn Park *development* being a dumpster fire of poor planning and poorer access, and Cambridge Park + Concord Ave./West Cambridge following suit with so many of the same mistakes are what's wrong here and what we're talking about. The existence of the highway isn't the problem. Cambridge choosing utterly unsustainable dev practices then doubling down on them--without anyone/anything putting a gun to their heads--is what rankles here. And what this thread is talking about.

Arlington Center doesn't seem very accessible from Route 2, I think they would stick with Alewife. It would be useful for buses north and east though, and if close enough it could get some synergy with the Lowell Line and boost that because Kendall is that important.

What would make a difference is Red out to 128, in any direction. Not happening yes.
Let's limit this to how the existing situation can be improved -- using realistic scenarios:
  1. No one is going to extend the Red Line to Rt-128 -- no matter how desirable in principle -- that ship has sailed about 40 years ago
  2. Similarly -- no one is going to resurrect the CR-line through Lexington where the Minuteman Bike Path is located

So what we have to work with are:
  1. Road-wise:
    1. Rt-2 [with its limited connection due to the bridge] and its existing last exits E-bound and first exit West-bound,
    2. the existing Alewife and Fresh Pond Parkways,
    3. Cambridge Park Drive
    4. and several local streets with various connections
  2. on the T side:
    1. Alewife T Station
    2. and passing tracks, etc for the CR from Waltham and beyond to North Station
  3. with various land that has various troubles being developed for any use due to swampyness, political boundaries, etc.
So -- how do we fix access to this already and soon even more to be intensive development???

It can't all be for pedestrians, bikes and trains -- for the foreseeable future it also needs to accommodate cars, Ubers and buses -- and they all need to coexist

Master class in poor planning

starting here [actually a bit further back] there should have been and can still be an exit from Rt-2 to these developments and Alewife T

the requirement is to rebuild a section of Rt-2 E-bound moving it bodily into the footprint of Rt-2 W and then moving Rt-2 w a bit further west

by J Sinclair, on Flickr

with the new exit going off to Alewife T here
20191129_135026 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20191129_135028
by J Sinclair, on Flickr

Of-course in this anti-highway era -- no one is going to have the guts to propose such an obvious solution

I think HP specifically chose one of the Cambridge Park Drive buildings to locate an office because of the highway. They wanted to be able to attract younger folks, but the older folks with their families in the burbs didn’t want to drive all the way to Kendall.
RandowWalk -- precisely

There are thousands of folks in the [older / senior position] talent pool who own houses which they bought out in places like Lexington and even further out easily accessible to via Rt-2 -- many who used to commute West along Rt-2 -- when it was called a Computer-Commuter highway

Developers created space for AI and similar non-bio tech companies that would like to have access to these folks and also have a path to younger / less senior but perhaps better equipped tech-wise who might want the MIT/ Kendall vibe -- the ideal location Cambridge Park Drive and the remnants of the old AD Little Acorn Park. The senior folk can drive E on Rt-2 and the juniors can either live at Alewife and walk to work [with Red Line access to MIT and Kendall] or live near Kendall and take the T to Alewife and a short walk to work.

You even have the Minuteman Bikeway for the athletic more or less senior talent wise who live in Lexington and want to walk or bike to work at Alewife

This would be Perfect -- except for the poorly designed roads at the end of Rt-2

But -- its not too too late -- if the morons in Cambridge, Belmont and Mass DOT can get on the same page and understand what a tremendous opportunity exists -- possibly for almost a Kendall -- especially if the parking lots and public housing on the other side of the Bridge over the tracks were intensely developed

But -- its not too too late -- if the morons in Cambridge, Belmont and Mass DOT can get on the same page and understand what a tremendous opportunity exists -- possibly for almost a Kendall -- especially if the parking lots and public housing on the other side of the Bridge over the tracks were intensely developed

Bzzzt! Sorry, this is wrongheaded in the extreme. Do you know how many thousands of residents live in the public housing on Rindge? It's a vibrant community. I know those three towers are architecturally an ode to brutalism's days gone by (though they are very well-kept and modern everywhere behind the facade), but Rindge is infilled halfway to Mass Ave. with companion public housing developments all centered around Russell Field, Danehy Park, and the schools clustered around Rindge. It's literally destroying the soul of North Cambridge to eye that for demolition in the chase for transient biz dollars.

As someone who literally lived amid that community (apt. a stone's throw from Walden Sq. public housing) for a full decade and loved every minute of it, I can't abide by this notion. I find it personally horrifying. Find something more tasteful to blow up, like Vox or something.

Bzzzt! Sorry, this is wrongheaded in the extreme. Do you know how many thousands of residents live in the public housing on Rindge? It's a vibrant community. I know those three towers are architecturally an ode to brutalism's days gone by (though they are very well-kept and modern everywhere behind the facade), but Rindge is infilled halfway to Mass Ave. with companion public housing developments all centered around Russell Field, Danehy Park, and the schools clustered around Rindge. It's literally destroying the soul of North Cambridge to eye that for demolition in the chase for transient biz dollars.

As someone who literally lived amid that community (apt. a stone's throw from Walden Sq. public housing) for a full decade and loved every minute of it, I can't abide by this notion. I find it personally horrifying.

F-line -- I didn't say to destroy and not replace there function --- What I think can be done is an the overall development of the area -- as part of it replace those old, antiquated towers with fewer perhaps taller modern towers and other structures on the near-by parking lots

Much as Boston has been doing with public housing over several decades such as the infamous Columbia Point and several others -- get the private sector to rebuild the area using the footprint of Jefferson as part of a larger "Planned Unit Development" spanning Rindge Ave

George -- that is a totally ridiculous set of points and also your further comments

Feeling spicy tonight, I see.

There are lots of people who live west of Alewife in places such as Belmont, Lexington, Waltham to whom Rt-2 is essential as it provides essential access to Boston, Cambridge and Somerville as well as to Brookline

I'd love to know where you got the idea that I ever thought Route 2 was not essential...

In particular most people who live in the near-north western suburbs and use RT-2 are quite bothered by the existing "Road Diet" that happens in 2 stages from 4 lanes to 3 and then 3 to [1+1 +..0.4] due to the Bridge

Anecdotal evidence (I assume) = most people?

A major improvement would be to carry all 4 lanes down to where the first exit westbound occurs and then split Rt-2 into two sets of lanes:
  1. Alewife T / Cambridge via Fresh Pond Pky -- 2 lanes -- including better access to Alewife T and Cambridge Park Dr.
  2. and 2 others going to Alewife Pky /Somerville
That would of course require rebuilding the bridge and the pedestrian overpass and shifting some of Rt-2's existing West bound lanes to allow an access lane on the Eastbound side dedicated just for the development currently fronting on the highway

This would be lovely... how the hell do you do this in the existing footprint? Because you ain't making it wider...

Feeling spicy tonight, I see.

I'd love to know where you got the idea that I ever thought Route 2 was not essential...

Anecdotal evidence (I assume) = most people?

This would be lovely... how the hell do you do this in the existing footprint? Because you ain't making it wider...
George as I said -- move the Alewife end of Rt-2 away from the strip of buildings -- not a lot -- just enough to make an exit lane with curb cuts for the development and ending as the existing ramp toward the Alewife T

You really don't make it much more than 1.5 lanes wider with a divider but you do reconfigure the part from the Lake Street exit back to the former rotary intersection including a rebuilt bridge across the Bikeway and a rebuilt pedestrian overpass

Not easy because of general opposition in Cambridge -- but perfectly doable

F-line -- I didn't say to destroy and not replace there function --- What I think can be done is an the overall development of the area -- as part of it replace those old, antiquated towers with fewer perhaps taller modern towers and other structures on the near-by parking lots

Much as Boston has been doing with public housing over several decades such as the infamous Columbia Point and several others -- get the private sector to rebuild the area using the footprint of Jefferson as part of a larger "Planned Unit Development" spanning Rindge Ave

That is making a gigantic--and, IMHO, erroneous--leap of judgement: that because the towers are unattractive to look at from afar, they are "antiquated" and somehow dysfunctional. That couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, they're lasting odes to brutalism. But they've been thoroughly upgraded and renovated inside over the last few decades to break down the "every man alone in his pod" isolation that towers of that ilk can/have inflicted on residents as a design backfire. They're flush with community rooms, have the rooftop pools, and have enhanced ground-level concierge space promoting mingling. As well as a refreshing paucity of parking capacity, so when residents are out they're out-and-about not transferring from pod (apt.) to pod (car) in hermetically sealed isolation. Russell Field is right there across the street as the de facto rec room. The result is highly functional community living, and the proof in the pudding is that those towers have crime rate and drug usage rate far below average for public housing of any similar density. If you don't mind the elevator rides, they're actually very nice places to live these days. And they probably weren't nearly as nice in 1975, so ugly brutalism was capable of giving way to highly effective troubleshooting and correction. You can't compare the health of the resulting community with Columbia Point at all...no way. If the most basal aesthetics are leading one to that comparison as first reach...stop immediately and re-educate thyself on what's going on inside first. Columbia Point may as well be as hospitable as the far side of the moon vs. Alewife towers on actual community living standards.

This extends to the outflow public housing down the street infilling halfway to Mass Ave. Jefferson Park...not much to look it, kind of a cheesy 70's condo complex vibe...but it's low to the ground and densely packed around its meandering driveway so it encourages a lot of outdoor time. There are always people out on front porches and patios talking to each other. They've got the community center and Head Start program right at the end of the driveway on Rindge as clearinghouse for resources and community involvement. In the 9 years I lived on the other side of Danehy I think there was 'a' fatal shooting there and a couple annual drug busts. i.e. Goes with the public housing territory, but way below-average. It demonstrates all the vital signs of a healthy community, few of the warning signs of an unhealthy one. Now you've got Clifton Circle apts. infilling the space between the towers and Jefferson Park. Same density motif, but much more attractive architecture. All three feed off each other.

Third example: Lincoln Way apts. on Walden St. These used to be utilitarian brick barracks-style apts. from the 1930's...quick-and-dirty, ugly as sin, haphazardly laid out, and semi-enclosed like it was a prison yard. It looked more blighted than anything in the neighborhood, and acted more blighted as the incidence of drug arrests was higher here than any of the places on Rindge. This was the one closest to my triple-decker, and I knew if I saw police lights speeding by exactly where it was headed. Cambridge Housing Authority hatched a plan to blow-up/rebuild-it with modern buildings that corrected most of the unintentional brutality of the brick prison yard motif. But because a lot of residents were going to be temporarily displaced by the total site demo/rebuild and re-knitting it back as suitably dense and functional public housing was a big existential dilemma amidst all the other upscaling going on in the neighborhood...they agonized over the decision. I attended a couple of the public meetings on it where they were intentionally walking themselves over hot coals in pains to make sure they got it right. They ended up getting it very right. The new buildings are beautiful, inviting, open to the street in marked contrast to their predecessors, and densely massed to promote interaction. Shock of all shocks, the crime rate started running consistently lower accordingly after the resettlement.

^THESE^ are not developments you fuck with. Not even when they're ugly to look at or you think you can do a 1970's architect one better on massing. They 'work' by any demographic metric--high degree of interaction, low degree of crime and isolation--that you can assign to measure a public housing unit's health. When I say on the previous page that it's bewildering how Cambridge can get some dev things so very right and yet keep doing this insane "stop punching yourself!" game over the Acorn Park-cum-Cambridge Park-cum-Concord Ave./West Cambridge triad...it's these examples in the very same bloody neighborhood that immediately come to mind from personal observation and experience. Improvable or no, you do not disrupt high-functioning communities for some individual conception of the pursuit of perfection. Definitely not if the same planning dunderheads who keep fucking Acorn/CPark/WC into the ground are allowed within an inch of giving their ever-helpful "input" to building a better Alewife tower. Um...hell no. Those geniuses can go fuck right off rather than start showing us nü-tower renders with 400-car in-ground garages.

You want to see what less-functional living is? Count up all the new market-rate condos that are perched up on stilts because the entire ground floor and sometimes half the basement are given over to parking canopies in rote 1:1 occupant-to-space ratio. Oh, sure, the cladding on the buildings looks superb. But hello...what is talking to your neighbor on the front porch from the ease of a screen door interface? Those folks will never experience that. The interface with the outside world got removed so they could instead have an interaction-free trip down straight to their car. Which when you think about it, isn't that exactly what we were initially assuming was wrong with the towers but which on further review they instead got so very right??? The builders of these new places aren't marketing the outside-world interaction. They're marketing a pod to sleep in after a long day at HQ in Waltham, to transplants from the Arlington, TX office who had to make a quick decision on the take-it-or-leave-it relocation offer + raise. Until they finally work up the courage to ask their budies at the company gym "What's this 'square' thing you live in? It sounds fun" and it starts to dawn on them that as soon as they know the area well enough they'll be able to hunt for a similar rent in a place much less insulating. In which case they'll move in 2 years tops and be replaced by the next transient from the Floral Park, IL satellite office. Quite a "community" y'all end up cultivating there, Vox.

I'd much rather troubleshoot the places that are getting the interaction painfully wrong than the places who've long had their shit sorted on that front.

That is making a gigantic--and, IMHO, erroneous--leap of judgement: that because the towers are unattractive to look at from afar, they are "antiquated" and somehow dysfunctional. That couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, they're lasting odes to brutalism. But they've been thoroughly upgraded and renovated inside over the last few decades to break down the "every man alone in his pod" isolation that towers of that ilk can/have inflicted on residents as a design backfire. They're flush with community rooms, have the rooftop pools, and have enhanced ground-level concierge space promoting mingling. As well as a refreshing paucity of parking capacity, so when residents are out they're out-and-about not transferring from pod (apt.) to pod (car) in hermetically sealed isolation. Russell Field is right there across the street as the de facto rec room. The result is highly functional community living, and the proof in the pudding is that those towers have crime rate and drug usage rate far below average for public housing of any similar density. If you don't mind the elevator rides, they're actually very nice places to live these days. And they probably weren't nearly as nice in 1975, so ugly brutalism was capable of giving way to highly effective troubleshooting and correction. You can't compare the health of the resulting community with Columbia Point at all...no way. If the most basal aesthetics are leading one to that comparison as first reach...stop immediately and re-educate thyself on what's going on inside first. Columbia Point may as well be as hospitable as the far side of the moon vs. Alewife towers on actual community living standards.

This extends to the outflow public housing down the street infilling halfway to Mass Ave. Jefferson Park...not much to look it, kind of a cheesy 70's condo complex vibe...but it's low to the ground and densely packed around its meandering driveway so it encourages a lot of outdoor time. There are always people out on front porches and patios talking to each other. They've got the community center and Head Start program right at the end of the driveway on Rindge as clearinghouse for resources and community involvement. In the 9 years I lived on the other side of Danehy I think there was 'a' fatal shooting there and a couple annual drug busts. i.e. Goes with the public housing territory, but way below-average. It demonstrates all the vital signs of a healthy community, few of the warning signs of an unhealthy one. Now you've got Clifton Circle apts. infilling the space between the towers and Jefferson Park. Same density motif, but much more attractive architecture. All three feed off each other.

Third example: Lincoln Way apts. on Walden St. These used to be utilitarian brick barracks-style apts. from the 1930's...quick-and-dirty, ugly as sin, haphazardly laid out, and semi-enclosed like it was a prison yard. It looked more blighted than anything in the neighborhood, and acted more blighted as the incidence of drug arrests was higher here than any of the places on Rindge. This was the one closest to my triple-decker, and I knew if I saw police lights speeding by exactly where it was headed. Cambridge Housing Authority hatched a plan to blow-up/rebuild-it with modern buildings that corrected most of the unintentional brutality of the brick prison yard motif. But because a lot of residents were going to be temporarily displaced by the total site demo/rebuild and re-knitting it back as suitably dense and functional public housing was a big existential dilemma amidst all the other upscaling going on in the neighborhood...they agonized over the decision. I attended a couple of the public meetings on it where they were intentionally walking themselves over hot coals in pains to make sure they got it right. They ended up getting it very right. The new buildings are beautiful, inviting, open to the street in marked contrast to their predecessors, and densely massed to promote interaction. Shock of all shocks, the crime rate started running consistently lower accordingly after the resettlement.

^THESE^ are not developments you fuck with. Not even when they're ugly to look at or you think you can do a 1970's architect one better on massing. They 'work' by any demographic metric--high degree of interaction, low degree of crime and isolation--that you can assign to measure a public housing unit's health. When I say on the previous page that it's bewildering how Cambridge can get some dev things so very right and yet keep doing this insane "stop punching yourself!" game over the Acorn Park-cum-Cambridge Park-cum-Concord Ave./West Cambridge triad...it's these examples in the very same bloody neighborhood that immediately come to mind from personal observation and experience. Improvable or no, you do not disrupt high-functioning communities for some individual conception of the pursuit of perfection. Definitely not if the same planning dunderheads who keep fucking Acorn/CPark/WC into the ground are allowed within an inch of giving their ever-helpful "input" to building a better Alewife tower. Um...hell no. Those geniuses can go fuck right off rather than start showing us nü-tower renders with 400-car in-ground garages.

You want to see what less-functional living is? Count up all the new market-rate condos that are perched up on stilts because the entire ground floor and sometimes half the basement are given over to parking canopies in rote 1:1 occupant-to-space ratio. Oh, sure, the cladding on the buildings looks superb. But hello...what is talking to your neighbor on the front porch from the ease of a screen door interface? Those folks will never experience that. The interface with the outside world got removed so they could instead have an interaction-free trip down straight to their car. Which when you think about it, isn't that exactly what we were initially assuming was wrong with the towers but which on further review they instead got so very right??? The builders of these new places aren't marketing the outside-world interaction. They're marketing a pod to sleep in after a long day at HQ in Waltham, to transplants from the Arlington, TX office who had to make a quick decision on the take-it-or-leave-it relocation offer + raise. Until they finally work up the courage to ask their budies at the company gym "What's this 'square' thing you live in? It sounds fun" and it starts to dawn on them that as soon as they know the area well enough they'll be able to hunt for a similar rent in a place much less insulating. In which case they'll move in 2 years tops and be replaced by the next transient from the Floral Park, IL satellite office. Quite a "community" y'all end up cultivating there, Vox.

I'd much rather troubleshoot the places that are getting the interaction painfully wrong than the places who've long had their shit sorted on that front.
F-Line you obviously know from personal experience and close observation quite a bit about what I've only observed from a distance while driving past on the Bridge over the tracks -- pretty much every Sunday for several decades en route to the MOS

So then perhaps you can answer my long-time wondering -- - -why is there such a huge parking lot directly across the street from the Towers and perpendicularly across from the Alewife T?

Tempo, Rte. 2 Alewife. https://www.gables.com/communities/massachusetts/cambridge/tempo-at-alewife-station/
DSC_0235.jpeg
DSC_0241.jpeg
DSC_0248.jpeg
DSC_0251.jpeg

Back