Westbrook, ME

From last night's Planning Board meeting, an update to the project proposed 204-unit residential project at 984 Spring Street. Very much a suburban development, but given the location, it fits. The only real concern I have is the proximity to the headwaters of Long Creek and the sheer amount of pavement shown here.

I expect to see more of this style of development on the other side of the city border on the old Sable Oaks land.

View attachment 30193

View attachment 30194

View attachment 30195

View attachment 30196

View attachment 30197
I don’t see any evidence in the plans to support the billeted benefits on panel 02:
• Wlakable? It’s all multi-lane arteries and parking lots in plan;
• Community Connections? appear to be multi-lane arteries.
• Multi-modal connections? Where is not in plan
• Connect residents to nature? In plan, that appears to be the scrim of trees buffering the site because any open space between buildings on-site is paved.
This type of development has blighted so many cities across the country, it would be a shame to not expect developers to build to match their stated objectives. As is, those bullets should read,
• Isolated
• car-dependent
• lowering the quality and value of the surrounding community.

The multi modal connections is the Metro which runs the crosstown bus. SOPO only goes to Gannett Drive. Spring Street at some point needs to be upgraded to meet increasing traffic. There is a large development planned for Sable Oaks as well as near Anthem for housing. This area is expected to explode over the next 10 years with multi-level (4 stories) housing complexes. Alot is on the drawing board.

I don’t see any evidence in the plans to support the billeted benefits on panel 02:
• Wlakable? It’s all multi-lane arteries and parking lots in plan;
• Community Connections? appear to be multi-lane arteries.
• Multi-modal connections? Where is not in plan
• Connect residents to nature? In plan, that appears to be the scrim of trees buffering the site because any open space between buildings on-site is paved.
This type of development has blighted so many cities across the country, it would be a shame to not expect developers to build to match their stated objectives. As is, those bullets should read,
• Isolated
• car-dependent
• lowering the quality and value of the surrounding community.

It's probably easy to infer a lot of things based on a few blurry screen shots I posted without the context of what was discussed during the meeting. Am I a huge fan of the design or style? No. But there isn't much else they can really do with this parcel. It's on the edge of town, far away from downtown and on the border with South Portland, surrounded by land that is now all zoned for industrial or commercial use (even the existing houses along Spring have been rezoned for commercial, non-residential use, and one of them already has approval to be torn down and turned into a @#$%ing car wash, of all things).

This may help to provide a little more context to what you're seeing in the plan that isn't clear in the blurry screenshot.

1667419990527.png

Last edited:
If it's like the "gathering" clubhouse in the complex I used to live in, I give it 5 years before it's closed to the community and used by the maintenance staff to store crap. (The pool, otoh, survives to this day.)

I believe the Seavey Street project (Maple Grove) is 192 units total between Avesta and New Ventures LLC.

Also, what is the total planned units for the Lincoln Street project? I thought that was well over 300 units total when done, too, right?

Currently under construction:

527 Bridge Street/Fawn Woods Way (7 duplexes being built by Nelson Properties) = 14 units
171 Brook Street/Chamard Way (separate development off Brook Street from the two listed above, being developed by The Lefevres LLC and consisting of 9 duplexes) = 18 units

Also likely coming soon:

10 Merganser Street (4.3 acre plot between Merganser and Saccarappa School)

Last edited:
I believe the Seavey Street project (Maple Grove) is 192 units total between Avesta and New Ventures LLC.

Also, what is the total planned units for the Lincoln Street project? I thought that was well over 300 units total when done, too, right?

Currently under construction:

527 Bridge Street (7 duplexes being built by Nelson Properties) = 14 units
171 Brook Street/Chamard Way (separate development off Brook Street from the two listed above, being developed by The Lefevres LLC and consisting of 9 duplexes) = 18 units

Also likely coming soon:

10 Merganser Street (4.3 acre plot between Merganser and Saccarappa School)
What about the building proposed across from the High School/next to the Armory?

D074CA06-0BDE-4B53-9466-43AF817C291D.jpeg

Vertical Harvest coming along. Such a big project for Westbrook that I feel will lead to more larger scale (taller) projects in the future. I’d propose that this project get its own thread due to its size and impact on the area!!

Such a big project for Westbrook that I feel will lead to more larger scale (taller) projects in the future.

I'm willing to bet good money that the City puts out an RFP on the parking lot between Bank of America and TD Bank as soon as the parking garage is done.

1668990827533.png

I'm willing to bet good money that the City puts out an RFP on the parking lot between Bank of America and TD Bank as soon as the parking garage is done.

View attachment 30918
Really? I didn't realize that portion of the lot was city-owned. I know it's used as a lot of overflow for people going to Portland Pie, Frog and Turtle etc. But the Parking Garage "should" replace that.

It looks like the two lots on Dana Street sold (along the river with two tear-down buildings).

Really? I didn't realize that portion of the lot was city-owned. I know it's used as a lot of overflow for people going to Portland Pie, Frog and Turtle etc. But the Parking Garage "should" replace that.

Yup, every parking lot noted in red on this map is city-owned property. Any one of these could be subject to development once the parking garage is completed.

1669133690963.png

It looks like the two lots on Dana Street sold (along the river with two tear-down buildings).

The potential for development of that property is exciting. I know years ago there was a proposal for a 7-9 story condo high rise on the river side of Saccarappa Park that failed in part due to public backlash over losing the park (as well as utilities that exist under the park that increase development costs). This would be a great spot for some high-density residential overlooking the falls.

Looks like 21 Saco Street in Westbrook is for sale (MAS Home Care). What ever happened to the proposal for redevelopment of this site?

Looks like 21 Saco Street in Westbrook is for sale (MAS Home Care). What ever happened to the proposal for redevelopment of this site?

The developer went in front of the Planning Board back in September to get an extension. He said project was put on hold. He was not going to be able to turn a profit on the development as proposed given the increase in construction costs from when it was first proposed. He said it's estimated to be about $360k per unit to build, and his real estate broker said he could probably only average $350k per unit to sell.

Here's the video of the meeting (item starts at the 8:27 mark, his comments follow Larry McWilliams that begins at the 11:55 mark): https://vimeo.com/showcase/3075539/video/747081583

My guess is that he's trying to sell the project as proposed.

He was not going to be able to turn a profit on the development as proposed given the increase in construction costs from when it was first proposed. He said it's estimated to be about $360k per unit to build, and his real estate broker said he could probably only average $350k per unit to sell.

Looks like a great arbitrage opportunity for someone who isn't afflicted with car brain. The original site plan for this project had a ridiculous amount of surface parking in it, and the current average construction cost for a parking lot is about $15K/space. Replace 5-10 of those zero-rent patches of asphalt with a a few more $350K apartments and the project is suddenly (quite) profitable.

Looks like a great arbitrage opportunity for someone who isn't afflicted with car brain. The original site plan for this project had a ridiculous amount of surface parking in it, and the current average construction cost for a parking lot is about $15K/space. Replace 5-10 of those zero-rent patches of asphalt with a a few more $350K apartments and the project is suddenly (quite) profitable.

I think the parking in the original plan was mostly for the retail/commercial component, because prior to the design work on-going with William Clarke Drive and that greater intersection, this was not a location easily accessed by foot. If I recall correctly, they did get a waiver for have less parking than required by ordinance.

I'd personally wait to see how walkable this area becomes after the William Clarke Drive work is done, then propose something that fits better than what was proposed.

A few quick shots from this morning. The crane is in place, and they're beginning to assemble the parking garage (all pre-cast/pre-fab). This is obviously the least flattering angle of the project and Vertical Harvest structure, since the garage will abut this east side.

I'll try to get some better angle shots as i have more time later this month.

The garage will take about 10-11 weeks to assemble. The City is doing a time-lapse of the assembly, which they'll make available once complete.

VH-1.jpg

VH-2.jpg

VH-3.jpg

Add this to the roughly 1,600 housing units proposed or under construction in Westbrook:

What are the chances Westbrook hits 30,000 people at the 2030 census? At this pace, it's a real possibility.

Add this to the roughly 1,600 housing units proposed or under construction in Westbrook:

What are the chances Westbrook hits 30,000 people at the 2030 census? At this pace, it's a real possibility.
I live in Westbrook. What's ironic is the place no one wanted to live in the 90's is where everyone wants to be right now. At least if you can't be in Portland. I love it here.

Back