What is this?

P

Patrick

Sorry for the very short thread, but I must ask, what project is this?

bosglobe_03_developers_towering_complaint3_a_closerlook_100509.jpg

Name, date, status and a link to any existing thread would be appreciated. I think this is an intriguing idea for shaping a skyline, one that would have made Boston stand out (I'm assuming this has fallen victim to the credit crunch, correct me if I am wrong) more than it already does.

The Boston Arch (aka Aquarium Garage)

Looooong story short, Developer buys (and overpays) for waterfront garage near NEAQ with plans to build what you see there.

Mayor has long standing feud with developer, does everything in his power to block project.

Current status: Stalemate. The project hasn't been abandoned, but the plan has been drastically altered, but still no closer to being started. See the (183 page and counting) thread for far, far more details.

Oyyy!!!!

I can only take you at your word you don't know it.

It's the (original) proposal for the building(s) to replace the existing Aquarium Garage. It's been replaced with one for new, shorter, less-brown building(s).

Photos of the original design didn't get too much press; everyone focused instead on its height and the bravado of Mr Don Chiofaro.

Thanks I appreciate it! I have been following new development threads less and less since the recession, and I just assumed nothing this big was going on. I read a bit about the feud between the developer and Menino, but couldn't find a project name. Thanks again.

Someone told me it was Shakespeare, but I don't remember why.

I always thought it was the bard too. I figured it is a vestige from when that area was chockablock in theaters

Perhaps the old Shakespearian Inn? From the the 1987 Boston Midtown Cultural Historic Building Survey:

Beach/Knapp District

Established in 1980 as a National Register District, the Beach/Knapp area is
composed of six buildings located on two side streets between Lower Washington
Street and the Harrison Avenue edge of Chinatown. The buildings reflect the
historical development of the area from residential to mixed commercial and
light industrial/warehouse uses. They are architecturally significant as fine
examples of particular building types, including Greek Revival rowhouses and
brick "loft" buildings. Also in the area is the former "Shakespearian Inn"
(renovated for housing) with its unusual four-story iron oriels, elaborate cast
iron capitals and cast iron plaque of the hotel's namesake.

Back