What is your gender?

What is your gender?

• Total voters

justin

Reaction score
Just curious: since I can't think of a single of our regulars who I know is a woman, I'm putting up a poll to see what our gender breakdown is. If the forum is as male-dominated as I think it is, I'd be interested to figure out why, given that the subject seems gender-neutral.

justin

justin said:
If the forum is as male-dominated as I think it is, I'd be interested to figure out why, given that the subject seems gender-neutral.

The subject is gender-neutral; the medium of discourse is not.

^Haha wow Justin, I am glad you did this, because I had this on my mind a while ago too. I was wondering if there was even a girl on the site. I was gonna do a thread like this soon, but thankfully you did.

During the 6+ years on SSG and this board, I can only think of two females that signed up and posted a message ... and both came and went without posting more than a couple times.

Beton Brut said:
The subject is gender-neutral; the medium of discourse is not.

Are men more likely to use forums than women? Doesn't seem to be the case in other places I go.

I think construction is a topic more likely to be appealing to men, given history and socialization processes

furthermore, given the wide variety of topics discussed on the internet i think forums are neutral

I can't think of many notable female architects, either. Only Zaha Hadid comes to mind.

I never thought of architecture as being so gendered, at least.

czsz said:
I can't think of many notable female architects, either. Only Zaha Hadid comes to mind.

I never thought of architecture as being so gendered, at least.

Architecture not so much, but construction, methinks yes

and I believe the forum is more construction than architecture related

Ron Newman said:
Are men more likely to use forums than women? Doesn't seem to be the case in other places I go.

For this type of discussion, yes. Women who like design tend to seek out publications. Or they travel. Or they get together and "do" things. What we have here is a virtual pub-culture that probably doesn't appeal to most women. To be fair, it baffles my girlfriend, and she enjoys looking at architecture -- we're going to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

czsz said:
I can't think of many notable female architects

Nice call on Maya Lin, Ron. Here's a few others:

Lina Bo Bardi was a brilliant Italo-Brazilian Modernist, contemporary with Oscar Niemeyer. She did great work in concrete, as seen in her Museu de Arte de Sao Paulo. I wish there was more about her in English -- seems like an interesting character, like the Frieda Kahlo of architecture.

Cornelia Brierly studied at MIT, and was one of the original Taliesin apprentices. Her name never reached the prominence of John Lautner, Alden Dow, or Faye Jones, but she was a competent architect and designed some nice homes and interiors.

Elizabeth Diller should go on this list; her stuff is kind of trendy, and the jury's still out on some of it.

Helena Arahuete is the heir to John Lautner's legacy of innovative and challenging residential architecture. Another gifted architect in concrete. She hasn't built much, but it's certainly worth a look. She's frequently consulted by the owners of Lautner-designed homes for restoration and addition work that is sympathetic to his unique treatment of material, space, and light.

Has Diller ever designed anything on her own? I've never seen her name listed independently of Scofidio's (which is why, I suppose, I hadn't thought of her).

I thought the forum might attract women with an interest in architecture because of the name, at least. More of the discussion winds up being idle speculation on design and urbanism anyway (which might say more about the lack of major construction projects vs. the interests of forumers, but still). I suppose we ought to defer to Brut's explanations...

I think Diller's done some independent interior work (and maybe a residence or two on her own, but her partnership with Scofido + Renfro is the focus of her output.) I think much of her earlier work is in the conceptual realm (not unlike Zaha Hadid).

czsz said:
I suppose we ought to defer to Brut's explanations...

If you make that mistake, you make it on your own -- I'm simply guessing as to the motivations and interests of the fairer sex, and I'm no better at that online as I am in the real world.

That said, I think it's a safe bet that a few women have wandered through these parts in the past. The contentious nature of discussions here, punctuated with the occasional bought of piss-flinging may prove a bit off-putting to many women.

The design-savvy women that I know are more likely to invest their time volunteering on a committee to improve a playground or design a public garden then rant about NIMBYs or the myriad of ills brought about by the institutionalized lassitude encouraged by labor unions.

Also, this forum is (mostly Boston) location-specific, rather than discipline-specific. High-brow discussions about architecture all-too-often turn into dead-end discussions full of irrational drivel and the aforementioned piss-flinging. A shame really, because there are many bright, articulate posters who are regulars here. Surely there are are individual threads covering residential design, interior design, and landscape architecture, but if there were forum subsections on these "general interest" topics, these may attract women more than Steve Belkin's 1000-footer.

Who thinks my potato's been bakin' too long?

Well out, Beton Brut. I rarely feel the need to do more than browse here; I skim for articles and photos.

As for lack of women, one thought: My girlfriend and I are in Architecture school. She is well-informed and certainly very interested in Architecture. But should she happen to look over my shoulder while I am browsing this forum, she barely bats an eye, even if I'm looking at a spectacular rendering of some skyscraper. She just couldn't care less. As you suggested, she has better things to do.

28:1 ratio? Who is the one? Anyway, girls always seem to think it weird that I would want to talk to strangers about buildings online. Never really gets how interesting it is.

True enough. Maybe if we made a forum for clothing stores and jewelry stores in the Boston area, they would go to that. lol

hey there supposably a Prada superstore coming downtown soon!

Back