What to do with Bowdoin Station?

Hubman

Reaction score
As of 2023, all Red-Blue connector initiatives seem to be intent on bypassing, and closing Bowdoin station. I've always really liked this station, for some reason, even though it's poorly designed and hard to get into. Assuming the Red-Blue connector is completed sometime in the next 50-100 years, what will they do with Bowdoin? I really hope they don't just seal it up and leave it to rot. I think the space could be turned into something really cool- maybe an arts center, like in Washington DC. Or maybe make it into a little museum of the MBTA. Instead of charging admission, you just your CharlieCard through the fair gates (yuk yuk).

They could also sell it off and make it into a bar or restaurant. Thoughts?

Red-Blue isn't going to merely bypass it. It's going to destroy it by plowing straight through the platform to straighten the alignment down Cambridge St. into Charles. The contour of the current station follows the approach onto the very sharp loop. While it's physically possible to ride half the loop and get onto the tail tracks for continuing to Charles, the trip would be so speed-restricted as to wreck Blue headways. So they have to demolish in order to straighten the alignment. There'll be nothing functional left of the station except for an emergency exit.

640px-Bowdoin_station_plan%2C_1986.png

As of 2023, all Red-Blue connector initiatives seem to be intent on bypassing, and closing Bowdoin station. I've always really liked this station, for some reason, even though it's poorly designed and hard to get into. Assuming the Red-Blue connector is completed sometime in the next 50-100 years, what will they do with Bowdoin? I really hope they don't just seal it up and leave it to rot. I think the space could be turned into something really cool- maybe an arts center, like in Washington DC. Or maybe make it into a little museum of the MBTA. Instead of charging admission, you just your CharlieCard through the fair gates (yuk yuk).

The bummer (for me, anyway) about losing Bowdoin is that it's a more central location between State and Charles MGH than Government Center. Obviously Government Center is a far more important station (one of the four transfer hubs) and it's clear which of the two would go in this scenario, but losing Bowdoin does leave a pretty sizeable transit gap between Charles MGH and Government Center.

The bummer (for me, anyway) about losing Bowdoin is that it's a more central location between State and Charles MGH than Government Center. Obviously Government Center is a far more important station (one of the four transfer hubs) and it's clear which of the two would go in this scenario, but losing Bowdoin does leave a pretty sizeable transit gap between Charles MGH and Government Center.

It's something like a bit over 600 feet between Bowdoin's entrance and the emergency exit from the Blue Line level at Government Center. IIRC, the plan was originally to make that an official headhouse during the GC renovation before being scrapped on cost grounds (it would need to be made accessible). It would make sense to revive that plan if Bowdoin were to go.

I think a completely new Bowdoin station approximately centered on Staniford would be worthwhile. It would be reasonable station spacing for downtown.

For reference: the conceptual plan for Bowdoin from the 2021 design effort. Not only are they blowing straight through the existing platform to straighten the alignment, they've accounted for just about every inch of the remaining area, and a little bit more besides, being used for ventilation /mechanical spaces - the remaining loop being earmarked for a storage track.
2021-12-01-red-blue-appendix-B_page-0036.jpg

For one, & until they decide what to do with it, they can at least have that blasted escalator turned back on, since the station is not ADA compliant at all!! :mad:

Bowdoin station...
I like the idea. As much as bars are a horrible investment, that's just novel enough to have some sticking power.
I'm thinking keep the name similar... "Bowdoin Under." And make it a BLUEs bar - Get it? Make a long thick glass wall to view the passing trains viewable from behind the bartender. I'd totally go!
1685541778245.png

Back