What to do with the Financial District

^ Not understanding the logic of this comment, Rifleman.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's the best located point in the entire city?

Both Lower Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn have the best subway access in all of NYC (and in the case of DT BK, great walking access to some of the city's most desirable neighborhoods as well) and they're still graveyards when it comes to residential life. Part of the problem is that many of the businesses are still geared toward the office crowd and have no incentive to be open when residential customers come in, or change their atmosphere to cater for them. There are lunch crowd-oriented delis oriented toward officeworkers that close on the weekends, even though they're literally right next to the rowhouses of Brooklyn Heights!

There are also less tangible issues. Something about old, dense commercial districts just doesn't "feel" residential and turns people off. There needs to be a cultural shift like there was with industrial space and loft developments that makes these areas seem more like plausible neighborhoods than they currently do.

The retail spots being built into 185 Franklin are a start.

Yep - Pret and TD Bank are in there with more to come.
Looks like 1 more spot up front but there is still plenty of room inside on the 1st floor for more retail.

The TD Bank is a bit unfortunate, but I suppose bad retail is better than no retail.

8293365397_583176a48f_z.jpg

a common scene

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/8293365397/in/photostream/

Jones Lang Lasalle: Boston Commercial Market In Full Recovery

A new report on commercial leasing activity for the first quarter from Jones Lang Lasalle (JLL) says that Boston is officially in growth mode and has fully recovered from recession losses.

Boston has now exceeded its pre-recession jobs peak, according to the report, and high-tech and life sciences continue to grow, at 9.8 percent and 5.9 percent year-over-year, respectively.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news154544.html?Type=search

The amount of lease signs and dark windows makes me call bullshit on a bullish downtown commercial lease market. Condo conversions wouldn't be occurring if commercial market was that hot.

Ya you're probably right, or you could look at vacancy rates rents and the skyline and quickly find out that they are

Back