When will Sanford have its moment?

Fitch Bronson

Reaction score
84,000 dwelling units needed statewide. Multiple communities across southern Maine turning down proposed developments that would help alleviate the housing crisis (800 units in Kittery DOA last year, 321 units in Saco DOA recently, the 107 unit Cumberland senior housing project killed when the Planning Board punted and sent the project to the Select Board).

Yet here we have a central York County community with *millions* of square feet of developable, walkable square footage via adaptive reuse of the mills. Vast tracts of developable land proximate to a small urban core. And a recent, major infusion of DOT dollars to completely redo the streetscape of that urban core. And yet, capital sits on the sidelines rather than moving toward opportunity. Yes, the transportation infrastructure to get out there is less than ideal absent a Gorham Connector-style limited access highway getting pushed through. Yes, interest rates and construction costs are high. But when will a champion emerge from the private sector who sees what others don't yet see, who's bullish on Sanford and willing to put skin in the game? From their own economic development director:

1710772500956.png

I think Sanford has issues related to image and perception. They need to first solve for that.

We were in Sanford on the outskirts of town for a soccer tournament this past fall. We stopped into downtown for a team lunch one of the days, and driving in, it felt and looked old, tired, run-down, and even in some sports, unsafe. This wasn't the middle of winter when everything looks dreary. This was peak foliage, when everywhere in the state tends to look it's best.

I could have written the above four sentences about Westbrook 30 years ago, and Westbrook recognized that. They worked (and continue to work) on rebuilding their image from a tired, old, dying mill town to something a little more shiny. It's still old, tired and unsafe in spots, but it's also now the fastest growing city in the state. Yes, the proximity to Portland and transportation doesn't hurt, but for those of us old enough to remember, think of what you thought of Westbrook 30+ years ago and compare that to now. I grew up in (and still live in) Westbrook; I'm biased and still didn't think highly of Westbrook 30+ years ago. It's an entirely different perception now, and that's not by accident, chance or destiny. It took a lot of work for the city to re-imagine and re-image itself.

Westbrook's holiday light displays the past couple of years have been outstanding, far better than downtown Portland's. 30+ years ago... I do recall that, thanks to the mill and its taxes, Westbrook had the best-cleared roads in the area in the winter. And the pulp mill did its best to hold off the evils of gentrification!

Having personal experience and history with Sanford, I'd agree that image issues are a big part of it. But that's not all.

Sanford tends to be more of a sleeper-town where residents commute to the shipyard in Portsmouth, or to Biddeford, Portland, and other areas for work. There are no sustainable jobs in the area.

Sanford tends to be anti-business and lacks vision when it comes to making the town more livable. Residents also need a HUGE reality check when it comes to what they want and what they're willing to pay. Facebook Posts on the Sanford Pages are full of comments begging for good restaurants and shopping. But they want a 5 star restaurants at Applebee's prices, and they're not going to get that. Nor will something like that last. Instead the town is full of multiple vape and pawn shops.

The Mid-Town Mall simply needs to be torn down and replaced with four-story buildings with housing and shops. A newer "mall" area was built in South Sanford with several shops and businesses, but much like anything that happens in Sanford - it didn't last. They even tried to put a Marshalls in there and it failed. The South Sanford Mall area could be ripe for rehabilitation to make it more like Biddeford Crossing, but Sanford Residents won't go there or pay higher prices for the things they want. They're not going to get the Maine Mall in Sanford, they're just not. So most residents I know go to Biddeford to go to Market Basket, or they go to Rochester or Portsmouth for tax-free shopping. They're not putting money back into their own communities or sustaining the good shops they claim they want.

Some of the mill buildings cannot be fixed up, particularly the one on River Street. I believe the owners of that building have been dinged by the town though. The mill behind it burned down years ago due to arson. There was some rehabilitation of one of the Sanford Mills with a lovely restaurant overlooking the river. Kind of reminiscent of Seadog Brewery in Topsham/Brunswick. And that has since closed.

Sanford even made a stupid move to build their new High School in the ugliest and most inconvenient spot on the far-side of town. Walking to school really isn't an option anymore. There was a ton of room and land near the old High School, Jr High, and Middle School. Including where all their sport fields are. The whole thing was idiotic. And that is Sanford to a T.

The Springvale side of town tore down the mills back in the 70's and 80's. There is now a park and some condos up on the other side. Nevertheless, there are a couple remaining mill buildings and other run-down structures that would make beautiful housing projects. Springvale also has the new county courthouse, revamped some of the derelict Nasson College Buildings, and at least retains some charm. There are still sketchy areas on Pleasant Street or the whole Riverbank Court area. The Sevingy family did a lot to fix up vacant and run down buildings. And yet - there's a plan to tear down the Notre Dame Church, School Building, Rectory, and Former Convent. There's also a lot of land with massive pine trees behind it. What will replace it? An ugly new fire station. Zero vision.

So sure, accessibility is one thing. But if you take the highway to Kennebunk and use back roads - or - use the Wells exit, it's really not hard to get into downtown Sanford. Route 111 from Biddeford is the nightmare.

Want housing in Sanford? Well then you need more sustainable jobs or access to commute to better jobs. They'll also need to actually invest in their local shops instead of leaving town (even when they get what they want). Otherwise local businesses and even chains will continue to fail. It's a failed town begging for gentrification - but no one wants to move there, invest there, and their own residents don't want to either. They might as well just raze all the blights across town and start over. Let Biddeford get the growth, and Sanford can just become a little hamlet of old.

Is Springvale a legal village, or do they just pretend they aren't Sanford?

I don't know that they really want 5-star restaurants; a Bonanza survived there until the pandemic (I went there once in the late 2010's; the place was incredibly run-down, with worn out carpets, etc. But it was still drawing!) Rural Mainers, in my experience, tend towards a scarcity mindset, so quantity wins every time. I don't know if there's a suitable space in Sanford, but I wonder if something like Ken's Family Restaurant in Skowhegan, where they can come away raving that "the prices are reasonable, and such HUGE PORTIONS!" would fly there.

I don't disagree with a single thing any of you have said. I shop at the Biddeford Market Basket myself and see all of the Sanford memeres and peperes there with their grocery cart filled with whatever happens on sale that Sunday. All of the older rough looking dudes with their Laconia bike week t-shirts, etc. It is a very different space than Cumberland County, that's for sure. And, I don't deny for a second that there's a human capital and workforce development issue that Sanford has to overcome become it can be positioned to receive more investment. There are too few dollars in too few hands in that town as it stands today. I do think the DOT streetscaping project could help to amenitize its downtown core in a way that serves to attract future investment. Still, someone will need to be the first one in and take on some risk. Where's the native son of Sanford who's done well for themselves and wants to help it back on its feet?

Back