Where can I move?

mrmikey

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place - first time poster here!

I'll try to spare the long story but I'm trying to move from Franklin closer to where I work in the Financial District.

I think I've narrowed it down to a few particular locations in order of preference: Dorchester (Lower Mills area), Quincy (North would be preferable), Braintree (farther away).

I'm just wondering what I should do. Should I look to buy a place (I don't have much saved up yet)? Should I rent? I plan on staying here for at least another 3 years and then maybe leave, who knows.

My only issue is that I'm picky and on a budget. :( If I rent, I can't go over $2,100/mo for a 2 bed 2 bath. I love the look of the lofts in the city - especially the Lofts at Lower Mills. Gorgeous! Granite, stainless, hardwood, brick - I'm in love! Lenox Farms in Braintree is nice too but they seem to hit you with weird fees ($60/mo for a shuttle to the T) and it's farther out.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there's other units nearby that I'm missing?

backside of charlestown might fit your price and needs.

Have you checked out the CityData forums? Most of the threads there are dedicated to relocation.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/boston/

I'd echo Charlestown, also some of the new developments cropping up around Wellington could work for you. If you want something more urban, there are some new developments going up in Allston that might have the amenities and loft feel you're looking for.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm primarily looking south of Boston. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the help anyways choo.

Are there any specific units? I like Googling. :)

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm primarily looking south of Boston. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the help anyways choo.

Are there any specific units? I like Googling. :)

Why? Everyone knows South Shore sucks. If you're not living in Bos/Camb/Som, then you need to live on the North Shore.

(Waits for Data to defend his home shore)

We have Kelly's Roast Beef, Prince Pizza, Kowloon, D'Amici's, 62, Lobster Land, Richardsons, the city of Salem, Good Harbor Beach, classic ol' Revere Beach. We win. Always. Everyday.

Last edited:
Why? Everyone knows South Shore sucks. If you're not living in Bos/Camb/Som, then you need to live on the North Shore.

(Waits for Data to defend his home shore)

I'm from the Southcoast, not the South Shore. I do favor the South Shore though.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place - first time poster here!

I'll try to spare the long story but I'm trying to move from Franklin closer to where I work in the Financial District.

I think I've narrowed it down to a few particular locations in order of preference: Dorchester (Lower Mills area), Quincy (North would be preferable), Braintree (farther away).

I'm just wondering what I should do. Should I look to buy a place (I don't have much saved up yet)? Should I rent? I plan on staying here for at least another 3 years and then maybe leave, who knows.

My only issue is that I'm picky and on a budget. :( If I rent, I can't go over $2,100/mo for a 2 bed 2 bath. I love the look of the lofts in the city - especially the Lofts at Lower Mills. Gorgeous! Granite, stainless, hardwood, brick - I'm in love! Lenox Farms in Braintree is nice too but they seem to hit you with weird fees ($60/mo for a shuttle to the T) and it's farther out.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there's other units nearby that I'm missing?

What about Southie?

Closest neighborhood to the Financial District and new restaurants/bars popping up all the time.. you can probably find something in your price range still around Andrew. I'd also suggest looking in the Savin Hill area of Dorchester.

North Quincy is OK, but if you could get a few red line stops inwards I'd recommend it.

I would recommend renting for now unless you know for sure that you want to be in that neighborhood for many years. Once you're living here, you'll get a much better sense of what your chosen neighborhood is like, and you'll have time to explore others you have been thinking about. You may discover a neighborhood that you weren't considering when you were living further away. You'll be in a much better position to know exactly where you want to buy at that point.

Quincy Center? My brother lived there when he was in his mid-twenties and enjoyed the access to the T and being able to walk down to the bars/restaurants on Hancock Street.

If you are looking to live in Boston, live in Boston.

Definitely rent if your future is unclear. Even though renting is throwing money away (vs. buying), it leaves you with many options.

South Boston three-deckers are worthy of a look. They often have central A/C and heat and lots of space.

You say you want a "loft" but then you say you want two beds and two baths. So, not a "real" loft, right?

Two bedroom "lofts" at Court Square Press would cost you more than $2,100; more like $3,000 or up.

Dorchester is a huge neighborhood. Pick out a couple of the "Hills" and take a look there, too. Savin Hill, Jones Hill, and down at Ashmont. A long Red Line right, though.

Back