Why New Development in Boston Sucks

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
Couldn't find a perfect match for this, so I'm putting it here.

Robert Campbell, architecture critic for the Boston Globe states his case that the reason Boston has the architecture it has (which he doesn't love) is because of the development process.

In 600 words, he says what I've been complaining about for ten years.

It's not just the architecture that suffers, it's so much more than that. The future of our city suffers.

How high can developers jump?
Boston's buildings suffer in the process
Boston Globe
Robert Campbell
February 13, 2011

Here?s a paradox.

Boston?s city planners determine that new buildings on the ocean side of the Kennedy Greenway should be no taller than 200 feet. They arrive at that number after an 18-month study with lots of public input, and put it into the zoning code.

Then a developer, Don Chiofaro, comes along and proposes, on one of those sites, a building that would be 780 feet high. That?s just about the height of the Hancock Tower, Boston?s loftiest building.

Do all observers throw up their hands and say, ?This is ridiculous? Why can?t you obey the law???

Of course not. That would not be Boston. Chiofaro?s proposal is taken quite seriously. Though not everybody likes it, nobody agonizes about the zoning issue. Who then, you cannot help wondering, is supposed to be planning the city?

The answer to that question tells you a lot about why we don?t get better architecture in Boston.

Let me say right off that I am among those who have no problem with a big building in this location. The site is currently occupied by the dismal Harbor Garage, which Chiofaro owns. The garage stands at the edge of the Greenway, which is now an empty grassland that looks as if it ought to be home to grazing llamas. It needs all the human activity it can get. The new building, most of which would be condo residences, would feed needed life into the Greenway.

Since that first proposal, Chiofaro has cut his design to 615 feet. But that?s still triple the zoning limit. So what?s going on?

What?s going on is that in Boston, as in other cities, legal heights under zoning are often kept low precisely for the purpose of making sure that every major new development proposal will be technically illegal. If a proposed new building violates the law, then the developer will have to come to the mayor for some kind of special permission. (The mayor controls the city?s planners and the zoning board.) And that?s the way any mayor wants it.

Once the mayor is in the loop, the development becomes the subject of a negotiation. A deal. A game of poker begins between mayor and developer. For the mayor, the object of the game is to extract as much money from the development as possible, in return for permitting greater height or bulk.

That?s the nub. Boston, like other cities, always seems to be on the verge of bankruptcy. With both federal and state aid now being cut, the crisis is unusually bad, but it?s chronic anyway. Notoriously, Boston relies heavily for its revenue on the property tax. But much of the real estate here is tax free, because it?s owned by hospitals, universities, the Roman Catholic Church, or other exempt entities.

So where can the city go for money? Ahhh. . . . It can make deals with developers. Zoning says 10 stories, the developer may say, but I need 15 to make a profit. OK, says the mayor, no problem. But in return come demands called mitigations or amenities. There will be a new park, perhaps, next to the building, to be designed, constructed, and perpetually maintained by the building?s owner. Maybe there will be underground parking. In some cases, the developer may even be asked to build and maintain new streets.

Beyond mitigations come contributions. The developer may be required to contribute to a public fund for, let?s say, renovating schools or building affordable housing. The city?s total take may easily mount into the millions. To generate the money, the developer can?t help stripping quality from the building. It gets bigger and the architecture gets dumber.

The result of all this is a lot of substandard architecture. Much of the South Boston waterfront looks like a poorly designed New Jersey office park. Big, boxlike buildings surrounded by cars or highways send a message that the money that could have been spent on architecture was spent somewhere else.

Back to Chiofaro. The developer?s original proposal did not look like a building, but like some kind of toolbox with a handle on top, as if a giant would someday pick it up and move it to another site. The current proposal, lower in height, is equally sketchy but more successful. My guess is that it will end up lower still.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino defends the Greenway zoning on the grounds that taller buildings will cast dark shadows on the park. Much as I admire many qualities of this mayor, that argument is bogus. This is phony zoning. Unless the sun changes its course, tall buildings on the water side of the Greenway will cast no shadows on it after about 11 in the morning. Afternoon shadows will fall on the ocean. And of course in summer, the season when people are most likely to be enjoying the Greenway, we don?t speak of shadows. We speak of shade.

It should be fun to follow the story. Chiofaro proposes to demolish the Harbor Garage and replace it underground. Surely in return for that enormous expense and public benefit, he deserves a break in the form of added height. But how much? What else will be demanded of him when the dealing?s done? If it ever is.

And of course there are many other players. Next door, for instance, stand the older apartments known as Harbor Towers. They are occupied, it sometimes seems, entirely by lawyers, active or retired. They, too, will have something to say about what happens to their view.

I hope that someday we will see residents pouring out of Chiofaro?s building to enjoy a busy world of city dwellers on and around the Greenway.

I do not have a solution to the problem of how Boston can pay for its public services without soaking its architecture. I?m just stating the problem. It?s one of the reasons we don?t build a better world.

Robert Campbell, the Globe?s architecture critic, can be reached at camglobe@aol.com.

Me too. But he hasn't said nearly enough. This is a problem that goes beyond mere extortion. Chiofaro is forced to make concessions, but some of the mayor's preferred developers won't have to. And Chiofaro's proposal may not yet even see the light of day no matter what he offers; the mayor simply doesn't seem to like him much. It's a problem that turns on the inconsistent application of both the rule of law - a problem Campbell notes - and the mayor's own whims - one he doesn't touch.

I'm also not sure we can pin the blame for bad architecture on this aspect of the process. The Seaport's developers have not been asked to make many concessions relative to those in more populated parts of the city. And developers in other cities with similarly rigged zoning appeals processes don't serve up substandard architecture. The spectacular Frank Gehry skyscraper in New York was built on the condition that it include wildly expensive public amenities - both a hospital and a school. That didn't turn it into a "Jersey office park" box.

So we can't entirely give developers this excuse. The fundamental problem is that so many Boston developers are cheap, they lack imagination or care about the physical appearance or composition of their city, and that, consequently, the architectural bar in Boston is set ridiculously low. No need to compete with a more dazzling, thoughtful, or even well-executed design when no one else is bothering to set the pace.

^^^^^^

Agree with much of what was said (cheap developers definitely is one reason, I might add timidity is another) but it doesn't explain the Dainty Dot building, among others....went from a beautiful original proposal to, well, to much less. I think it also comes down to what the neighborhood groups think and say, and I do feel they have much too much influence in the development process and even the design of the building/complex in question.

^ That's obviously true in much of the city, although I'm still waiting for the spectacular proposals at the Seaport. No NIMBYs to deal with there, and yet it's a desert for the imagination.

But there are imaginative buildings coming up on the seaport - pretty much anything that isn't an office building or a hotel. The ICA, Liberty Wharf, even the Louis pavilion (it shouldn't be there, but for what it is it is actually engaging). Even the Courthouse has some nice ground-floor activity facing the channel. One might even call the BCEC an engaging and imaginative piece of architecture (although like Louis one can argue that it shouldn't be there to begin with). Every office "tower" and hotel, though, is an unmitigated disaster.

^Shepard

Louis Fan Pier is temporary; the Courthouse was a Federal GSD project; Liberty Wharf is on Massport land (I'm 99.9% sure about that); and the BCEC was largely driven and legislated at State level.

Only the ICA can be cited as an example in your list that is relevant to the broken process at City Hall, as was the focus of Campbell's article.

Well, the title of the thread is "Why New Development in Boston Sucks" so I think it's worthwhile to also think about developments outside the City Hall process. In any case, the Massport parcels have very similar problems as the rest of the seaport, even without City Hall involvement - just a faster and more competent build-out (which says nothing of results, other than Liberty Wharf).

^Shepard

Understood.

Massport's process is a case study in and of itself.

And Liberty Wharf strikes me as a really interesting anomaly.

Liberty Wharf isn't really fantastic architecture, the bar here is just appallingly low. We've sunk to praising the one or two cafes squatting under the hulk of the bulky courthouse (which arguably set the precedent for the district more than the ICA) and the neighborhood-sized, many-street-killing convention center, a boxy warehouse which barely makes a brief concession to design with its flimsily aerodynamic entryway overhang?

The original article is a valid description of Boston development. But it fails on proving a cause and effect relationship.
Beyond mitigations come contributions. The developer may be required to contribute to a public fund for, let?s say, renovating schools or building affordable housing. The city?s total take may easily mount into the millions. To generate the money, the developer can?t help stripping quality from the building. It gets bigger and the architecture gets dumber.

The result of all this is a lot of substandard architecture. Much of the South Boston waterfront looks like a poorly designed New Jersey office park. Big, boxlike buildings surrounded by cars or highways send a message that the money that could have been spent on architecture was spent somewhere else.
But in fact, the most boring Boston architecture, the "brown box" high rises of now defunct banks were built in the 70s, before the era of linkage payments and mitigation.

And the comparison with suburban New Jersey would make more sense if he argued the causes were the same. But he makes no such case.

And with a few notable exceptions, I don't think Boston architecture is that bad.

The original article is a valid description of Boston development. But it fails on proving a cause and effect relationship.
But in fact, the most boring Boston architecture, the "brown box" high rises of now defunct banks were built in the 70s, before the era of linkage payments and mitigation.

And the comparison with suburban New Jersey would make more sense if he argued the causes were the same. But he makes no such case.

And with a few notable exceptions, I don't think Boston architecture is that bad.

Actually no it doesn't fail on proving the cause and effect relationship and in fact is really clear.

The developers are forced to reduce height and commercial space for the project and thus lowering its revenue. In addition, as part of the negotiation, the developers are also forced to contribute some of its revenue to pay for the city. The result is that the developers have to work with what they got. In order to maximize profit, they have to sacrifice design by being forced to build a box which maximizes surface space and thus maximizes revenue. In addition, the towers have to be flat top because putting a spire or anything that would increase height aesthetically would automatically incite the public to believe that it will be too tall and would cast a shadow, even if the spire is a needle. The only thing the public reads is the height of the tower, not the design. A good case in point is the Aquarium Tower. The first two proposal, 780ft and the 615 ft are the same except the latter eliminated the gate. The opposition for the tower decreased slightly even though the gate itself is thin and creates a small impact.

Here are some HQ buildings for companies that I'm sure Menino would sacrifice four limbs and his testicles to have re-locate to Boston.

rnb.jpg

135479_f520.jpg

Lucasfilm_LDAC.jpg
84169010_682b437147.jpg

Lucasfilm_LDAC.jpg

e2137fc7-fd2a-4bd3-9cb1-63d0cd2ae81d.jpg

1304.jpg

amd.jpg

Entrance_To_Yahoo_Headquarters.jpg

AppleHQ.jpg

I would imagine if any of these were built in the Seaport / Fan Pier area, the criticism here would be withering.

The only civilization which truly thrives in office parks typologies is that of the humble Canada Goose.

I can't believe how naive Campbell's argument is, and how foolish those of you on this board who buy into it sound - if he/you are suggesting that the architectural quality of developer buildings in Boston suffers because of the "goodies" that the "process" forces developers to pay, you're assuming that a commercially motivated commercial developer would have built a more expensive, higher-quality designed building were it not for those pesky NIMBYs and those pesky linkage dollars that every large commercial project in the city has to pay.

And I say that's nonsense. Irrespective of whether the NIMBYs scream and yell and the city exacts funds for affordable housing and jobs training from commercial development, developers aren't building stuff out of altruism. They're building it to make money. And if anyone believes that a spec office developer is going to spend one penny more than he/she needs to on design.....think again.

If the NIMBYs and the city exactions didn't exist, you'd just have slightly taller, similarly bland buildings whose developers got to pocket more $$ instead of having to contribute to affordable housing and jobs training. You would not get more great architecture. As Dan very wisely said, look at all the crap that got built in the 1970s here, before NIMBYs or linkage. If that's preferable to what we have today, you can have it.

Oh and Kent, sorry to go after you again but your comment about no spires and flat-topped buidings is asinine. Everyone knows the story about 111 Huntington, which started its design life as a flat-topped building and the BRA/Mayor made the developer spend more $$ to put something at least halfway interesting on top. And Sicilian, all those buildings (except the Courthouse) still had to go through Article 80 and BRA design review, irrespective of whether they are temporary or on Massport property, so your argument doesn't hold water. As I've said in the past and will continue to say, please check your facts and know your history before you post here.

This is interesting, you argument does sound sound. Without incentive, a developer would just pocket the money rather than use it to design something better. The 1970's didn't sound like it was a great time for Boston Architecture. And a quick wikipedia check did backed up that Menino did disapproved a flat tower version of the tower.

I don't know how to verify Article 80 of the BRA.

I wonder what historically drove good Boston Architecture (I guess pre-1970's?).

Looking forward to the responses.

Oh and Kent, sorry to go after you again but your comment about no spires and flat-topped buidings is asinine. Everyone knows the story about 111 Huntington, which started its design life as a flat-topped building and the BRA/Mayor made the developer spend more $$ to put something at least halfway interesting on top.

Oh if you only read my comment thoroughly. Did I say the Mayor/BRA prevented flat tops? I said the public are the ones that bring it up and complain in the meetings for the proposal. In turn, in order to include the public's opinion, the BRA asks for it to decrease the height. Did the public ever hear of the crown on 111 Huntington? Probably not. The mayor asked for it to be included and never let the public know about it.

I can't believe how naive Campbell's argument is, and how foolish those of you on this board who buy into it sound - if he/you are suggesting that the architectural quality of developer buildings in Boston suffers because of the "goodies" that the "process" forces developers to pay, you're assuming that a commercially motivated commercial developer would have built a more expensive, higher-quality designed building were it not for those pesky NIMBYs and those pesky linkage dollars that every large commercial project in the city has to pay.

Mind you explain why in other cities, the same developers design a much more aesthetically pleasing and expensive towers? You sound more "naive" then Campbell himself, almost like you've never seen other projects by the same developers outside of the city.

And I say that's nonsense. Irrespective of whether the NIMBYs scream and yell and the city exacts funds for affordable housing and jobs training from commercial development, developers aren't building stuff out of altruism. They're building it to make money. And if anyone believes that a spec office developer is going to spend one penny more than he/she needs to on design.....think again.
Before YOU bark anymore nonsense, why don't you take a class in Urban Economics (and maybe even Game Theory) or work with a firm inside one of these towers. Yes developers are building for profit, but building a tower that can physically maximize the profit is not the only factor. You have to attract the tenant, through locales, views, and design. The more interesting the building looks like, the higher the tower is, the better the view is, and the better the location will attract more tenants. The design of the building becomes part of its advertisement for the tenants and developers.

When all of these are taken away, you have to maximize profit by maximizing the surface space. Where did I get all these knowledge? From the law firm I worked in 101 Federal St., State Street Corp. and from studying how firms are attracted into the city.

Last edited:
And Sicilian, all those buildings (except the Courthouse) still had to go through Article 80 and BRA design review, irrespective of whether they are temporary or on Massport property, so your argument doesn't hold water. As I've said in the past and will continue to say, please check your facts and know your history before you post here.

A) [expletive deleted]. Massport was not required to pass its projects through Article 80 review. I was there at the time when Massport cordially agreed to what they decided to call a "mini-Article 80" process, completely voluntary on their part, completely determined by Massport leadership and signed into an MOU with the BRA.

B) I stated "Liberty Wharf is on Massport land." That is all I stated.

C) Your comments regarding "Boston development" revolve obsessively around Chiofaro and people who comment on his project, as if you woke up one day and your life depended on it. Even Rip Van Winkle woke up with more to talk about.

Last edited:
The corporate HQ in the pictures above are those of Pixar, Lucas Arts/ILM, Yahoo, Google, Apple, HP, Intel, and AMD (not necessarily in the respective order shown, though all are in the Bay Area of CA). Why should a developer build an iconic structure when iconic companies don't seem much interested in building and/or occupying such?

The corporate HQ in the pictures above are those of Pixar, Lucas Arts/ILM, Yahoo, Google, Apple, HP, Intel, and AMD (not necessarily in the respective order shown, though all are in the Bay Area of CA). Why should a developer build an iconic structure when iconic companies don't seem much interested in building and/or occupying such?
Depending on how well known the developers are or how much they pride in their designs, they would design an "iconic" structure as advertisement. Upstart developers who seek to have new contracts would want to earn a name for themselves by designing well. Those that are already well-known would like to pride itself in its design if the building itself is going to be well-known or if it's in a location where there's competition in design (Silicon Valley is not one of these location). Here in Boston where everything is mediocre, developer's don't have to think too much outside of the box to beat out it's competitors. When everything is shit, you just need to design something a little less shitty to win. While every developer in NYC or SF is trying to one-up the guy next door, Boston gets a bunch of trash heap designs. However, that's not to say there won't be chances to build an "iconic" design. There are already a few proposals that Boston received in recent years, most notably the Congress St. Garage that unfortunately is stalled by the lack of funding, 120 Kingston St. which was redesign because it was too tall and too iconic for its location, the Copley Place Tower that was also apparently too tall even though it is wedged between the JHT and the Pru, and then you have the Aquarium Tower. Free thinking here is quashed.

Back