Why Not Formula 1 Racing In Boston?

I love the idea of a bike race -- much less danger of injury to spectators or damage to buildings. However, I remember a bicycle race in Arlington MA a few years ago, where a racer lost control, hit a tree, and died. :-(

Toby, everything you say makes perfect sense. Which is why the mayors of wannabe cities across the globe, from Moscow to whatever Gulf state is the latest to have a sheik who wants to turn his dusty village into an international investment hub, are pushing hard as we type for a Formula One race.

Buuuttt, as you note...

Well, there it is folks. Lots of international tourists cramming your streets with money to burn. Heavy favorable media coverage across the globe (except in the U.S. of A.) World class.

Bingo. Don't forget about American Exceptionalism. We have to be suspicious of anything enjoyed by other countries. Especially if Europeans -- or the Euro-lites of Montreal -- enjoy it, it must be atheist, immoral or just plain homosexual.

And what interest does Menino have in a sport he's never heard of -- they don't even show that stuff on TV, for crying out loud! Why, the city needs more parks and additional parking, not festivals drawing potential terrorists and definite homosexuals.

Sadly, until the Boss Tweed establishment is finally overthrown in Boston, we'll have city leaders who are not only un-urban but are sorely out of step with global spending and entertainment trends. Whether there's a mayoral election in 2009 or not, and whether Menino or Flaherty wins, the entrenched leadership will remain an anachronistic and sometimes-harmful remnant of old-timey Democratic politics, convinced it needs to "fight for the lower classes" via horrendous urban redevelopment programs and high but ineffective social spending.

Modern, proven, thoughtful policies that would see more money trickle down to local businesses -- be it from wealthy BU students' parents' paychecks via repealing the remaining Blue Laws and allowing bars and clubs to stay open all night; international visitors via a Formula One race; or new businesses by increasing the stock of both rentals for young employees and luxury housing for managers; improving schools, transportation, cultural, dining and nightlife options; reducing crime; improving Internet and other high-tech infrastructure; simplifying corporate tax structures; and most importantly offering a low-cost environment -- don't fit into Menino's framework of talking with a favorite developer or businessman behind closed doors and coming out with a deal but no overarching vision or clearly stated set of rules for all.

Vroom vroom.

London tab reportedly has video of FIA president in sex tape

Updated: March 31, 2008, 1:10 PM ET

LONDON -- Formula One's governing body is keeping its distance from sexual allegations in a British tabloid newspaper about its president, Max Mosley.

"This is a matter between Mr. Mosley and the paper in question," an International Automobile Federation (FIA) spokesman said.

"We understand that Mr. Mosley's lawyers are now in contact with that newspaper and the FIA has no comment."

The News of the World reported in a front page story that FIA president Mosley, 67, had taken part in a "sadomasochistic orgy" with five prostitutes that reportedly involved Nazi role-playing.

According to a story posted by the London-based Times Online on Monday, Mosley and others "re-enacted a concentration camp scene in which he played the role of both guard and inmate."

A video was also reportedly posted on the News of the World Web site. A check of the site Monday didn't find the video in question.

The News of the World printed pictures of a man who appeared to be Mosley, chained over a "torture" bench while being caned by a woman, and said that the acts took place in an apartment near Mosley's London home on Friday.

British media reports said Mosley paid 2,500 British pounds, which is a little less than $5,000, according to Monday's conversion rates.

Formula One chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told at least one London newspaper that Mosley's job was not in jeopardy.

"I find it difficult to believe. It's his business but it sounds to me like a set-up. Has he in any way damaged F1? No," he told the Daily Mail.

Jewish leaders in Great Britain condemned Mosley.

"This is sick and depraved," Karen Pollock, chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said, according to Times Online. " ... I am absolutely appalled."

Stephen Smith, director of the Holocaust Centre, said: "As Mr. Mosley has condemned the racism in motorsport he should live up to the standards he sets. This is an insult to millions of victims, survivors and their families. He should apologize. He should resign from the sport."

Mosley is the son of the late Oswald Mosley, founder of the pre-war British Union of Fascists. Mosley is married with two sons. He has been president of the FIA since 1993.

Information from Reuters contributed to this report

An interesting story.
Mosely is reputed to be brilliant. But then, his parents enjoyed the same reputation, at least for awhile.
As the article notes, his father Oswald was leader of a British black shirt movement in the 30's. He is satirized in various P.G. Wodehouse "Bertie and Jeeves" stories in the character of "Sir Roderick Spode." Oswald Mosely's wife (and Max's mother) Diana (Mitford) Mosely, was regarded by some as both a beauty and a wit.
As the 30's progressed, certain of the British aristocracy, for example, ex-King Edward the Duke of Windsor, were attracted by Facism. Much of the impetus for appeasement of Hitler came from this group. Hitler wined, dined and financed them. (Charles Lindberg might be regarded as an American fellow traveller.) Indeed, Diana Mosely purportedly kept an autographed portrait of Shickelgruber, and was commonly referred to as "Hitler's Angel". She and Ozzie spent the war years in prison.
Max managed to escape the opprobrium attached to his idiotic parents. If the allegations are true, the psycologists will have a field day.
As to Mosely's connection to F1, the FIA supervises and regulates all international motorsport, and F1 is among the regulated classes. However, Bernie Ecclestone, who has the international rights to F1, has Mosely in his pocket. If Mosely's alleged SS fantasies cost Bernie so much as a nickle, Maxie is going to have to get his kicks on the cheap at some skinhead ho-down.

Why not the running of the bulls in Boston?

Our streets were always designed for cows, by cows, after all, and not for cars.

Or we could just have them go in a circle on 128...

I wish like hell we could have F1 in Boston, but it'll almost never happen. Other events, however, do work. Mostly All-Star game type things, but sporting events nonetheless work in Boston.

NCAA Men's Lacrosse Memorial Day Championship Weekend (was at Gillette Stadium, freaking awesome)

MLB, NBA, MLL All-Star Games.

MLS Championship game.

I could think of more, but I don't have the time.

Toby believes F-1 would bring millions of dollars to the city.

L1080300.jpg

Look at all of these people in Montreal last weekend having fun.

L1080361.jpg

Far sighted city leaders close many downtown streets to accomodate the revellers.

L1080365.jpg

L1080346.jpg

There are many sights to see.

L1080430.jpg

Some, perhaps, stranger than others.

L1080320.jpg

Toby finds his bar.

L1080318.jpg

Toby and company like cushions.

L10803932.jpg

Note the fine architectural detail.

L1080328.jpg

Toby is not familiar with this hotel chain.

L1080324.jpg

It does offer alot of services, though.

L1080465.jpg

Local frightens the Japanese tourists.

L1080533.jpg

People are spending like mad on the night life.

L1080538.jpg

Even at 4 A.M. merchants make money.

L1080668.jpg

Tourists are very excited to be at the track.

L1080656.jpg

Toby doesn't much care for the new South American hair and hat fashions.

L1080586.jpg

Ferrari boys ready for war.

L1080609.jpg

Don't worry, Ron. Other than bruised ego (and wrecked Ferrari Challenge Cup car) no injuries!

L1080905.jpg

Toby can't chase cars that go this fast!

L1080790.jpg

Hundreds of thousands had fun. The race is purely incidental to the parties and spending. The city connected with its art community, fashion designers, and musicians. It closed streets, put on exhibitions, fashion shows, concerts.

Boston could do it better!

Street races require barriers and fencing to ensure that no debris leaves the racing circuit. Spectator injuries in F1 haven't been an issue for many years. There are also precautions taken on the cars, such as steel cables that keep the wheels from flying off the car in the event of an accident. Look at Monaco and the upcoming new race in Singapore to see how F1 behaves in an urban environment. Also, there are some YouTube videos of demonstration runs in downtown London from a few years back. The London ones aren't full on racing, just the cars ripping down the streets as a nice treat for the spectators.

How about the BigDig F1? 93/90/Ted Williams Tunnel/Logan Loop/Old Tunnel?

In all seriousness though, how do you do this in Boston without severing and isolating parts of the city in the process? Something like the Marathon you can still cross on foot during the gaps, but this would be a complete barrier. Storrow drive would work, Memorial Ave could work, but I think using surface streets like Comm Ave, or giving over more than one bridge would be crippling. You like your racing, but we still have to get to work or get groceries, etc.

How about just giving over the South Boston "Seaport" area?

You may be surprised to read that I agree with you that the actual race part of the event would have to be self contained. The Seaport area might have enough unformed area to make it work. You could probably hold it in the parking lot of Gillette Stadium, for that matter.

Where one might miss the point is here: the race is only a catalyst, not the actual reason for holding the event. The reason is economic. A Grand Prix is an international spectacle that summons global media attention and attracts tens, if not hundreds of thousands of affluent free spenders from around the world. These people arrive to party and spend on luxury items. As a temporal matter, the race and associated practices might last a total of four or five hours in total over the course of 3 days. In contrast, the spending and partying is non-stop.

Let's face it. The Freedom Trail and all that is pretty lame. Many of our "ye olde" buildings, though charming and worthy of preservation, are not in the grand scheme notable examples of architecture. Architecturally, Boston is probably about on a par with Bristol, England. A very nice place indeed, but not "world class". The "nation forming" city history is old hat, except with the plaid shorts and fanny pack crowd just in from flyover land. (Foreign visitors don't give a rat's ass about what to them is fairly recent provincial history.) Yes, happy to have Mr. Brown Loafer/White Socks' money for that red plastic lobster and Harvard t-shirt. But is it enough? I say no.

Yes, I like my racing. But my pals and I rent airport runways and have our laughs when ever we want. And no hunter/gatherers on a Stop and Shop safari are inconvenienced by our dissolute ways.

This isn't about racing. It is about stature in the world.

I had a blast on Friday at the F1 Boston racing complex, in Braintree.

It costs $10 for a one-day "license" and $28 per 10-minute ride. I had a lot of fun and excitement.

They have pool tables and a complete restaurant and bar, onsite.

Worth the money, in my opinion.

erm...FI Boston is significantly different from Formula 1 Racing that Toby speaks of, no?

Toby, while we have no F1 racing yet, we do have the VOR coming mid-May, which is the grand prix of sailing. It'll bring in all of your beloved madras-and-polo wearing yuppies in to watch, as well as big-time sponsors, parties, and international media.

erm...FI Boston is significantly different from Formula 1 Racing that Toby speaks of, no?

Toby, while we have no F1 racing yet, we do have the VOR coming mid-May, which is the grand prix of sailing. It'll bring in all of your beloved madras-and-polo wearing yuppies in to watch, as well as big-time sponsors, parties, and international media.

F1 Boston is a fun place. Don't race against your significant other if he/she is lighter than you, as weight is a significant factor. All the carts have the same horsepower, so the advantage goes to the lightest person. I don't recommend the restaurant, Ascari.

As for "madras and polo wearing yuppies", not my people, dude. But if they spend money, I will cloak my retinas and accept their insecure bourgeois conformism for a day or two. Did you see "Vicky Christina Barcelona"? It caught that LaCoste vibe perfectly.

As for "madras and polo wearing yuppies", not my people, dude.

Did you see "Vicky Christina Barcelona"? It caught that LaCoste vibe perfectly.

Excuse me, I'll edit.

[sarcasm]"Your beloved madras and polo wearing yuppies"[/sarcasm]

As for "Vicky Christina Barcelona," no, unfortunately I'd never heard of it until I just looked at imdb's entry for it.

Oh, very worth seeing. Vicky's boring yuppie fiance would fit in very well in Boston.

1. Austin is truly turning into a great city. We might need to consider it on the level of San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, etc. in the next few years.

2. What's the love affair with purpose built tracks? Why build a track for one race, that will hardly ever get used again? Wouldn't a street course be a far more interesting, if a little bit slower and more technical, race for the viewers and drivers?

Back