Why Portland?

TheBostonian

Reaction score
This is why. I'd become accustomed to the steady stream of evidence of Boston's neighborhoods declining in vibrancy, diversity of retail and nightlife and the invasion of chain stores and bank branches where weird and local places previously dominated. Don't get me wrong, Boston is supercharged as far as being truly urban compared to many other cities, and many of its neighborhoods are holding steady. But the idea of a neighborhood on the upswing impresses me. Yes, I am unexposed and maybe this renaissance is taking place in many small urban pockets. But hurray for Portland anyway.

http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid53820.aspx

An Arts District renaissance
The big idea
By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
January 2, 2008 12:59:12 PM

If nothing else, 2007 was the year the Arts District found its footing in Portland nightlife. And 2008 is shaping up to be the year it supplants the Old Port as the primary destination for locals, and perhaps tourists too.

I counted no fewer than four independent bookstores in downtown Portland today.

We've got a few nice coffee chains as well.

I look forward to seeing more of your views of the town over time, most of the Portlanders on the forum have lived here a majority of their lives.

I'll just keep trickling out my observations at they come.

As far as coffee goes, so far I've been to Zarra's. It's a great place for people watching.

Portland is very bikable. I know now to avoid the unpaved part of the trail between the sewage plant and Hannaford (and beyond?). And as cute as some of the cobblestone streets are, they suck on a bike. But the parts of the Peninsula and my neighborhood that I rode through are good. None of the major roads I rode had excessive speed or congestion on them.

I get a kick out of the higher availability of booze here. Massachusetts forbids alcohol sales in most supermarkets and, I think, all convenience stores. MA hasn't yet come completely out of prohibition. It looks like this means there are no standalone liquor stores around here.

Actually there is RSVP on Forest Ave, not all that far from you. Nothing but booze and beer.

Bostonian, I'm a MA kid at USM (My fourth year here now). I have to agree that Portland is a cutesy town. Not to shift the topic, but the little cities in MA could take a hint from Portland and take some pride in themselves. cities like Lowell, Haverhill, and mostly New Bedford should use Portland as a model of what a smaller city can do to endear itself to people.

My sister came up this past weekend for the first time and when we drove through Portland, aside from the small size, she noted how almost everything on the Peninsula is lit-up and planted, and the buildings are all lit nicely. It's warm and it screams "welcome!"

New Bedford should really try to mirror this. There are so many similarities between the two cities it boggles my mind. New Bedford has a similarly sized University and Community college in the area (UMass Dartmouth and BCC as opposed to USM and SMCC) as well as the pretty coastal setting, historic areas (Whaling District and Portland's Old Port), similarly sized downtown area, ferry services to nearby tourist areas, and both are on highways that connect more populated areas to the tourist destinations.

Yet, when you arrive in Portland, it's very welcoming and New Bedford, well, isn't (aside from the Whaling District). My father and I talked about the lack of chain and mom and pop bookstores in S.E. Mass, and Portland, again, is a good example of what a small New England town can do with this type of business.

That being said, Portland lacks (in my opinion) in two major areas (mostly through no fault of its own): cultural diversity, and vibrant neighborhoods.

Now, I've experienced some different cultures here, but they seem to be more "accepted" than "embraced." What i mean is that yes, there is a relatively large pocket of Somolian population and even a small pocket of Indian population. However, I have seen just one Indian restaurant (there could be a few more, but i haven't seen them and that doesn't mean they don't exist), and I've never seen a Somolian resataurant anywhere. Nor have I seen many international markets, or food stores. Again, that doesn't mean they don't exist at all, but it does show that this diversity isn't embraced as much as it should be.

I'll use New Bedford as an example again. The fishing industry there is huge, and as a result, many Portuguese immigrants have come over to the area. The whole North End of New Bedford closes down for a weekend every year and they turn the streets into a Portuguese street festival. Portuguese restaurants are abundant and so are the markets (Fall River is similar to a lesser degree). Everywhere you go, this culture's presence is felt. The same can be said in Fall River to the Cambodian population. This is not the case in Portland and i think it's a shame as every culture has something to offer. This really leads to a lack of variety in restaurant choices as well entertainment (The Old Port is a small strip of non-descript could be from "Anywhere, USA" venues with the exception of Gritty's, great beer and a Maine staple).

Finally, the lack of neighborhoods kills me. If you want the shops and restaurants, you have to go to the Old Port or right around downtown. It's a shame that there are no neighborhood centers that offer a different variety of shops and eateries in a cluster. Look at Providence, RI for example. You have all sorts of stuff downtown (like Portland), yet you can travel up to Thayer St. and it's a nice, pedestrian friendly drag with all sorts of unique shops and restaurants, same with Hope Street, Atwells Ave. on Federal Hill, etc. This is something i miss as well.

Having come to the conclusion of my rant, I must say that Portland does well for a city of a mere 63,000. Like i mentioned before, certain cities would be smart to use it as an example. However, I find that there is much to be desired and when I finish my fourth year here, I will be leaving (I probably would have gone sooner if my long-time girlfriend wasn't from Scarborough and had roots here that took a while to separate from). That's not to say Portland is a bad place, I just feel that it doesn't have all of what it takes to keep most 20-30 somethings happy for an extended period of time.

This says new Bedford banked on Portland's model of revitalizing a downtown district by bringing a school into a key vacant building.

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/11-96/11-04-96/a01lo009.htm

I'd add the many murals on what would otherwise be blank walls to your list of things that make Portland welcoming.

There is at least one Asian Market, on the corner of Brighton and Noyes. Vientiane Eat In & Take Out. It is a small restaurant with about four table and maybe three isles of Asian groceries.

I saw that Asian market once, but i haven't been able to check it out. I never saw that Standard Times article, but i did recently read one about the New Bedford Restaurant scene discussing how restaurant owners would like the meter maids to be a little more lenient as it would help the economy by allowing people to park more easily and closer to the restaurants. One of the owners used Portland as an example of how easy it is to park and walk to the restaurant you wanted to go to. So it's obvious that Portland is a model for similar cities (or cities that have the raw potential to be similar).

I forgot about the murals, but you're right. There's the one on the side of Margaritas (the one next to the Civic Center), accross the street from the old State Theater, and the one with the Toucan on the side of that restaurant down near Spring Street (forget the name of the restaurant, but it's bright red with a black roof). Thanks for mentioning that because I could have easily overlooked it.

I forget exactly where I found this one, but it is Portland's most radical mural.
2192704839_9c8c69b7a7.jpg

We happened to snap this one too.
2192708667_0a6b401ed5.jpg

And for the heck of it, here's a shot of my favorite building in Portland.
2193493484_7994a171c8.jpg

I found two more Asian markets!

Both are in what I think is the West End, near Maine Medical Center.

On Congress St.
2200178386_30125b007a_o.jpg

St. John St., a little way down from MMC
2199385569_6bd919138b_o.jpg

There are a few more graffiti/mural walls hidden, I'll let you find them. There's some neat little ethnic restaurants and food places up by mujoy hill. There isn't a lot of culture here, but the fact that there is as much as there is surprises me. In the 21 years I've been alive (having lived in the state of Maine, usually near or in Portland the entire time) there has been a huge influx of people from abroad. I'm sure the trend will continue.

I don't think more culture or less culture is a good thing. Portland isn't worse off because it has "less culture". A city is what it is. East St. Louis is probably 98% black. I don't think they are going "damn we need some Italian eateries up in here".

We have a lot of variety for our size. Without sounding like an A-hole, the diversity that Portland has received is not very good. It is not fun to walk through Hannaford's and see somali women on cellphones, 6 kids, going to the register and seeing the Maine Card(welfare) come out to pay for 100 dollars worth of food, then going out to drive home in a minivan.

I like variety in a city and a nice mix of people is great, but we aren't exactly getting the most productive and effective people to our economy moving to Portland. Portland is far too generous and dare I say liberal and we are paying for it dearly. Go to Preble street and ask who there is actually from Portland. Probably 2 people.

I don't think more culture or less culture is a good thing. Portland isn't worse off because it has "less culture". A city is what it is. East St. Louis is probably 98% black. I don't think they are going "damn we need some Italian eateries up in here".

I have to disagree with you here. East St. Louis probably isn't saying that most likely because the priorities of the people are to make sure their children live beyond age 20 and don't join a gang. Portland fortunately doesn't have that problem ( i believe i saw that it was one of the most desirable places to bring up a family somewhere).

I wouldn't say Portland is "worse off" because of its lack of culture. In fact, i think Portland should be the envy of most cities its size in many categories. However, I don't think it's fair to say that "the diversity isn't any good" if you have only seen a bit of what they have to offer. A little support from the community could go a long way. Granted, if the Somolian population wanted everyone to see what they have to offer, they could take some initiative themselves.

In a sense, "it is what it is" is true... but Portland does have a large Somolian population, so why not embrace it a little more? Then again, I am just an outsider. I don't know at all what's best for the city of Portland by any means, I'm just recounting my observations.

A place being 98% black does not mean that it is diverse, a place that has many races and cultures is diverse. Portland is not that diverse to begin with, I think you should try to embrace diversity before you decline it.

I wasn't saying it was diverse. I was saying it is basically the same as Portland except with the 98% being black not white. Imagine people saying it wasn't diverse enough there. It would be considered an insult.

This whole diversity stuff just gets shoved down our throats here, especially in Maine. I swear to God the Press Herald has a front page article every three days on the refugees. How about something about the Italian, or Irish, or hispanic community?

I am not against diversity, but no city needs more diversity, just like they don't need less diversity. You are whatever you are. If the population or Portland suddenly switched to half Portugese and half Swedish, do you think it would be the same city?

I hate even discussing this because it makes me sound like a jerk, which I'm not. I will stand by my words that the Somali and Sudanese refugees have taken abuse of our good will. The kids are very rude and loud in public, they come here and embrace the American hip hop image. My wife worked in the Portland Library so she got to see and hear it all. Also, if you go to the grocery store and look up at the screen when the payment shows up, 10 times out of 10 they are using the Maine Card. But they all have cellphones, minivans, and places to live. I also am very close with someone who works for DHS and she informs me of everything they get here.

If this was all Italians that were coming here and doing the same thing, I would be just as upset with it. It is not an issue of color or nationality. It's a matter of taking advantage of people who are trying to help you and the youth being very disrespectful of the people already here. If you are going to live for basically free here, don't go driving all over the road in your minivan while yacking on a cellphone with your vanity license plate.

Good points.

From city-data.com

Races in Portland:
  • White Non-Hispanic (90.6%)
  • Black (2.6%)
  • Two or more races (1.9%)
  • Hispanic (1.5%)
  • Other Asian (1.2%)
  • Vietnamese (1.0%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
  • Other race (0.7%)

I wasn't saying it was diverse. I was saying it is basically the same as Portland except with the 98% being black not white. Imagine people saying it wasn't diverse enough there. It would be considered an insult.

This whole diversity stuff just gets shoved down our throats here, especially in Maine. I swear to God the Press Herald has a front page article every three days on the refugees. How about something about the Italian, or Irish, or hispanic community?

I am not against diversity, but no city needs more diversity, just like they don't need less diversity. You are whatever you are. If the population or Portland suddenly switched to half Portugese and half Swedish, do you think it would be the same city?

I hate even discussing this because it makes me sound like a jerk, which I'm not. I will stand by my words that the Somali and Sudanese refugees have taken abuse of our good will. The kids are very rude and loud in public, they come here and embrace the American hip hop image. My wife worked in the Portland Library so she got to see and hear it all. Also, if you go to the grocery store and look up at the screen when the payment shows up, 10 times out of 10 they are using the Maine Card. But they all have cellphones, minivans, and places to live. I also am very close with someone who works for DHS and she informs me of everything they get here.

If this was all Italians that were coming here and doing the same thing, I would be just as upset with it. It is not an issue of color or nationality. It's a matter of taking advantage of people who are trying to help you and the youth being very disrespectful of the people already here. If you are going to live for basically free here, don't go driving all over the road in your minivan while yacking on a cellphone with your vanity license plate.

You don't sound like an Asshole, you're telling it as it is. You make very good points about a subject that's absolutely volatile and controversial. How can a population that's taken the things its given for granted be embraced (hint: they can't). Again, it's not 10/10... I've met plenty of "refugees" that are taking college courses (and very serious about them) at USM and at the same time are working a job and attempting to take residency tests (which are actually difficult even for U.S. citizens... we took one in a Poly-Sci class when a Somoli girl was taking hers). The few I've met have embraced hip-hop culture (not always a terrible thing, but many times not good), yet have worked hard at breaking the mold. Welfare is a terrible method of "helping" and rarely works, but taking some more proactive measures to try to encourage the refugees to contribute to society would be a start in maybe having a minority population that contributes more.

The only thing i disagree with in this is, "no city needs more diversity." That's just not true. More diversity is never a bad thing (keep in mind, a town on the Mexico border that has a Mexican population that is increasing by 50%/ year is not increasing in diversity so much as it's becoming Mexican.... there is a difference and that's not a good thing). No city is so perfect that it couldn't use a change. Now, that's not to say that Portland isn't better off than most New England cities, but it's not perfect and an increase in embraced diversity wouldn't be a bad thing. Sure, Portland wouldn't be the same as it was, but no city should always be the same. Cities grow, shrink, and change continually; remaining stagnant may work for a brief period of time, but it never works forever. All I'm saying is that while Portland is most certainly a great town, a little diversity would only make it better and add another dimension.

**EDIT**

I misunderstood your point about East St. Louis before as well. That's partially true, but like i said before there's a huge difference between an All-white area and an all Black area (and it's not just skin color). Generally speaking, all white areas are rural towns and upper-middle class suburbs, and all black areas are (again, generally) poor inner city neighborhoods. Before those poor inner city neighborhoods can worry about "diversifying," they need to worry about education, gun/gang violence, substance abuse, etc... all of which are more pertinent issues than cultural diversity. However these ultra-white "Pleasantvilles" have "problems" which pale in comparison with what happens in black neighborhoods. As a result, it's acceptable to debate diversity in these places because diversity can be considered a top issue when compared with other issues; while in a black neighborhood, other things need to be dealt with before diversity which is why you'd get a ration of shit for bringing that up while kids are killing each other.

Sorry to end the love-fest, but generalist statements like "the diversity that Portland has received is not very good" and "somali women on cellphones, 6 kids, going to the register and seeing the Maine Card(welfare) come out" are racist. And while racists may not seem like jerks to other racists, they certainly sound like jerks to most people - and ignorant, to boot. Much like the xenophobic response to Somalis in Lewiston, this thread has degenerated into an embarrassment for Maine.

For every refugee on welfare, there are ten white, Maine-born welfare recipients - and unlike the native Mainers, who had free public education and all the other benefits of living in a first-world nation all their lives, the Somalis who've moved to Maine endured a brutal civil war, they lost everything they had in Africa, and now they're fighting like hell to establish a semblance of security for their families in a strange place on the other side of the globe. They work two or three jobs that Mainers don't want in order to scrape by. And you're begrudging them the cellphone and a beat-up minivan that three families share?

"The kids are very rude and loud in public, they come here and embrace the American hip hop image" - what are you, a grumpy old man? Would you prefer it if they listened to Lawrence Welk?

This kind of ignorance is precisely why Portland's lack of diversity IS such a problem. The only things you know about Somalis you get from hearsay - your wife or your friend at DHS. Word to the wise - actually interacting with people from other cultures, or even people from different life experiences, will tend to inoculate you from making idiotic remarks about them.

I think people need to realize that immigrants are good for cities, they repopulate old and abandoned neighborhoods, give a city cultural enrichment as well as providing a younger labor force. Look at cities that have attracted lots of new immigrants Boston, New York, San Fran, Chicago, Los Angeles, and those that haven't Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Philadelphia.

Sorry, I stand by my statements.

To be honest, I would like to see more diversity. But I would like to see more people who contribute right away here. I am not racist at all and I stick up for the immigrants when other people say things. I know you wouldn't get that from my last few posts but it's true.

I would love big city diversity though. I love going to Boston and seeing all different races going to school and having real jobs. You cannot tell me that is the same as relocating thousands of people from a completely different world and culture into a city the size of Portland. How can a city of 65,000 suddenly have the highest Sudanese population in the country? Look at what happened to the Lewiston mayor. He was called out as a racist for basically asking the Somali population to stop coming at such a fast rate. You can't take a city that is already doing so poorly and then brings hundreds and thousands of people there that all take up huge amounts of public money and services.

I apologize for making it sound like none of the refugees that come here try. That was wrong. Many of them do very well in school and do get jobs. I still have yet to see one family not use the Maine card and I go to the grocery store every single day.

And if you would care to know, there is no group of people that has ever angered me more than a certain phase you would call certain white people who aren't great for a society, if you know what I mean. I have always been much harder on the white people who abuse welfare, cause crimes, and act like gangstas and losers. To be honest, I'm disgusted by probably 80% of what I see in downtown Portland. I think the whole downtown lacks class, at least Congress Street.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anybody. I enjoy posting on this forum and I'll stick to talking about buildings.

Back