Why Portland?

"The kids are very rude and loud in public, they come here and embrace the American hip hop image" - what are you, a grumpy old man? Would you prefer it if they listened to Lawrence Welk?"

I grew up in high school listening to rap. That didn't make me disrepectful, loud, and rude. The current mainstream hip hop culture does exactly that. Be happy that you came from a hellhole and now you are living on the coast in one of the nicest small cities in the country.

You only offended one person (whom i believe overreacted). I enjoyed the discussion, but apparently an architectural forum is no place for debating diversity. I didn't find your comments racist and understand where you're coming from. Glad to see that you're not going to let a little criticism turn you away from posting here.

I respect CNeal and what I've seen from him on here. I know where he was coming from and how he took what I said. I too hate people that just throw out stuff like damn somalians and send them all back home. I sounded a little like that and he called me out on it.

I love see people of other races being successful here. I think that people in Maine tend to be racist by nature and most of the times the only culture they see is on tv. If you were to get an image of the black community by just tv and videos then it would be seriously distorted. I wish these people here did see that there are professional people of all races in other cities.

I'm just a humble person and I am very respectful to people I don't know or in public places. I can honestly say I have not seen that type of respect from the refugees who have come here. Perhaps it is more of a problem as our society as a whole these days as these kids are just acting like the other kids around them. I'm not old, I'm only 32, but things have gone downhill real fast. Don't believe me? Go to myspace and search Portland High. Gangsta for sho

A Denver blogger had great things to say about the Monument Square Farmers Market.

http://www.denverinfill.com/blog/archives/2006_10_01_archive.html
(scroll down)

New Bedford looked at Portland's success and tried to create a formula for revitalization: abandoned department store + college = downtown turnaround. For a vibrant farmers market, the blogger wonders where in Denver he can apply Portland's formula: intimate urban space + small shops and restaurants + farmers market = success. To me this is a case of Portland being more urban that a city ten times its size.

I'm still trying to crack the code of Portland's success as a small but very alive urban place. I know it has to do with big things, like an intact downtown and the presence of a couple schools, and smaller things such as ground floor commercial space in otherwise life-sucking parking garages and murals on most of the city's large and otherwise blank walls. But since I don't quite understand what makes Portland tick, I'll just assume for now that the city has a soul that others lack and that you can't give a soulless city life with formula revitalization.

One thing I would tribute Portland's success to would be the fact that the city's waterfront remains connected to the center of the town (whereas similarly sized coastal cities like Fall River and New Bedford allowed highways and poor development near their waterfronts).

Another would be that Portland is the economic center of not only Maine, but Northern New England for the most part (debatable with Manchester), it's one of 40 largest seaports (by volume of product unloaded/loaded per year), and there's no city close by that could be considered a competitor (whereas Fall River/New Bedford are about 10 mi. from each other and are within an hour of Boston, Providence, Cape Cod, Newport, and other simalarly sized cities such as Brockton, Taunton, Quincy, Newton, etc).

The only city that rivals Portland in Northern New England is Manchester, and it's far enough away to allow Portland to prosper all on its own. Portland (other than Manchester) is also the only city of significance between the Merrimack River and the Canadian border which means that while Portland's metropolitan area stretches from Kittery and Lewiston, People from all over Northern Maine, Northern New Hampshire, and Canadian border towns depend on it for retail (Bangor offers only so much) and other services. This contrasts to Massachusetts towns because South Eastern MA towns have Providence, Westeern MA towns have Springfield and Hartford in some instances.

Portland's scenic location and access to transportation points is huge as well. Because of the Downeaster, It's the Northern most rail connection to the Bos-Wash Megalopolis, It's got ferry connections to Canada and some of the beautiful islands in Casco Bay, and quite frankly, It's surrounded by relatively unspoiled coast line.

The icing on the cake with Portland is that it has nice older buildings in a pedestrian friendly area (I'm talking about the Old Port and Market Sq.) that they filled with little tourist shops and quaint pubs and restaurants (although I had issues with Cinque Terre the other night).

Portland has the perfect combination of a nice physical location (as does New Bedford), economy (so do Manchester, Springfield, and Providence), ease of access and driving ability (small town= ease of driving around), Lack of competition from nearby towns (Freeport and OOB only really serve to add to Portland's tourism), and finally a real pedestrian friendly area (from the attractions on Congress Street to the Old Port and Arts district is a 20 minute walk tops). Many similarly sized New Englad cities have one or more of these traits, but none have the complete combination like Portland.

(for the record, New Bedford is trying to set up a Fish Market that's similar to Porltand's farmer's market, but there are more reasons than "lack of soul" for New Bedford not being on par with Portland. Lack of hotels, competing nearby cities, cut-off waterfront, and lack of connection to rail and (as many) air travelers are a few reasons why New Bedford is behind Porltand.

Lots of great thoughts in the last two posts. I never really thought that deep about it, but I agree with all of the things mentioned so far. My first thougts were the age and history of the city and just that it is indeed the only thing of it's size in the area.

Just a random thought about Portland....

All of the new construction seems to involve brick in some way as a tribute to a lot of the older structures here, which usually works pretty well visually, but I would like to see some new buildings pay respects to this style also:

What a beauty!

I think almost all of Portland's newer buildings are ugly as heck. And it looks like new office and residential towers are trending toward having a fat footprint with clumsily masked garages. The Portland Museum of Art's Payson building is a major exception. So is the Hilton Garden Inn, which I've heard others complain about. There's also a very new office building near the Custom House and across from Hub Furniture. So much seems right about that building. It is all windows, looks like none of the old buildings around it, yet looks good. It backs another good looking new building that faces the opposite side of the block. I'm ambivalent about the new USM buildings. The library is a great creative reuse and will be better with the addition that orients it toward the campus, but Abromson and Wishcamper are too spread out for me. It appears that the Wishcamper Center could have blocked our view of the half of the garage that isn't fronted by Abromson. The Law Building looks tacky but I appreciate its college campus kind of funkiness. And the interior happens to very functional for a round building.

I agree about the new building/addition next to the custom house, looks great in that spot. I don't mind the Bangor Savings building next to the Hilton Garden Inn either.

Back