WindowGain in Downtown Crossing

W

windowgain

WindowGain is a digital signage company that turns vacant retail storefronts into high definition, digital advertising screens. Utilizing the existing glass, the screens blend with the architecture to create a new unique canvas for messaging and digital communication.

WindowGain has two displays in Downtown Crossing and we'd like your feedback on our product and initiative with the City of Boston.

Visit our website to learn more:
www.windowgain.com

I'd rather see stores in those spaces; but when it comes down to lit, dynamic advertisements versus empty windows, I'll go for the ads.

I'll have to go and check this out.

One is located at 395 Washington st - the former location for Barnes & Noble. The other is located at 52 Summer st.

The two displays show a mix of city content which you can see here:
http://www.windowgain.com/bra.shtml
This content was developed in counjunction with the Boston Redevelopment Authority by WindowGain.
The other content is used for public service announcements, to show newsfeeds and for sponsorship opportunities.

Last edited:
Thanks! Can you tell us what is going on inside the former Barnes & Noble? Is it being refit for a new tenant, and if so, for whom?

As much as I hate adds I'd rather see something than a vacant store front. Hell, the old Times building in Times Sq, NY is only adds. There are no tenants (other than ground floor I believe).

This might be really cool at night actually.

It seems as though we are getting mixed results from the poll.
I'm curious about the 'no' votes.

Would people rather see empty storefronts rather than some sort of beautification effort?

The hurry up and leave job that Barnes & Noble did really has left the space at 395 Washington Street a mess. The facade still has their old logo and they basically got out quick and the space sat vacant for over a year.

I have only gotten good feedback from people about the displays in person.

Are billboards better than blank party walls?

Eh. It's the lesser of two evils.

Empty buildings! Now with slightly less blight!

edit: Why is this in the Greater New England forum? It should be in the General or General Architecture & Urban Planning forum.

Id like to see larger screens in those places....more of a very large high resolution projection screen. I walked by the screen at the former Barnes and Noble building and thought of them as insignificant (which I can't make my mind up - whether they should be somewhat invisible or pop out - there's nothing admirable about invasive advertising. It was nice though. I think I had a nightmare a few nights ago involving Mayor Menino on a huge 3 story projection screen over the B&N saying hello in 10 different languages with an awkward smile and constant waves and looks to seem as though he were actually greeting personally. It was somewhat of a shocker!

Last edited:
interesting dream.
I am more than willing to move this to the right section but not quite sure how it's done.
If someone can assist, I'd appreciate it.

I think they're cool and I literally laughed out load when I saw that goofy ass Menino pop up. There's also one on Lansdowne.

i think your ads are innovative and creative, id love to see one in person

Better than blank windows.

Clever way to derive a profit from hard times.

Windows of opportunity
Company's projection system could turn acres of glass into multimedia billboards

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | February 11, 2008

Adam Dell was walking on a beach a couple of years ago when it finally came to him how to market his multimedia company, located on Seventh Avenue in New York.

He returned home, worked on some new imaging software, rigged up projection equipment in his office, and cast an image brightly advertising his company on the office window - so thousands of passersby would see it.

"The phone rang within 15 minutes, saying, 'We could use something like that,' " said Dell. "I thought it was a joke from one of our employees."

It wasn't.

Dell, 35, now lives in Boston and is chief executive of WindowGain Inc., a company founded on the idea of using empty windows for digital media. He is partnering with a prominent Boston developer, John Rosenthal, to brighten up drab storefronts nationwide, put acres of vacant glass in high-visibility locations to use, and make some money along the way.

WindowGain installed a temporary display of 80 square feet in a window in company chairman Rosenthal's parking garage on Lansdowne Street near Fenway Park, displaying messages for the Museum of Science, the New England Aquarium, and the movie "Michael Clayton." It instantly started earning thousands of dollars of revenue.

"That was really a demo we used to raise money to start the company," said Rosenthal, best known as the prospective developer of One Kenmore, a mixed-use complex near Fenway Park, and owner of the large billboard with anti-violence messages facing the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Walk down Washington Street near Downtown Crossing, and you'll see a relatively small - 25 square feet - but brilliantly lit slide show, an example of what this new industry is assembling for pedestrians in urban areas.

There, at 395 Washington in the old Barnes & Noble space, passersby witness a little light propaganda from the City of Boston, including a Harborwalk promotion, in a rotating visual gallery mixed in with information from sponsors like the Massachusetts State Lottery and Verizon Communications Inc. The same messages are being shown on a window at 52 Summer St.

With a goal of dressing up Downtown Crossing, the Boston Redevelopment Authority has partnered with WindowGain on the displays. Others will light up in the old Filene's building, while it is being redeveloped, and at a location soon to be vacated on Winter Street.

"It's an innovative way to activate empty storefronts with new technology," said Randi Lathrop, who has overseen the Downtown Crossing pilot projects.

WindowGain isn't the only company developing the ability to turn glass of almost any size into a platform for outdoor communication.

Neoscape Inc., the Boston company that creates visuals and virtual reality presentations for developers, is experimenting with its own version of the technology for one of its big multi-property clients.

"It's creating an immersive, experiential type of display that invites people to learn more about what's going on at a particular site," said Robert MacLeod, president of Neoscape. "It's almost as if the building itself is becoming an art installation, aimed at conveying a particular message."

It would seem a simple idea to take a piece of projection equipment - something like the ubiquitous PowerPoint projector - and aim it at a sheet of glass to display an image on the other side.

The problem was getting a high-definition picture bright enough to be seen in the sunlight as well as at night. "We need a lot of lumens," Dell said.

He said a normal PowerPoint projector operates with 3,000 to 5,000 lumens, a measure of brightness. "Our total is about 30,000," Dell said.

That means using multiple projectors - usually four to six, arranged closely together in a rack - that split the image being projected into pieces.

The genius of WindowGain, Dell said, is that he and his partners have developed the computer software that knits the images from all the different projectors together on the glass, so viewers don't see it in all its parts.

"You have an array of projectors," Dell said. "It warps and blends the images so there are no lines or seams or gaps." The company continues to develop the proprietary system and has applied for patents.

The city's regulations for outdoor advertising currently allow new-age images like these in three areas: the Theatre District, the Lansdowne Street club district, and around the new Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. Lathrop said an exception was made at Downtown Crossing for public-information messages that could fill in some of the existing commercial holes.

"We're really concentrating on Downtown Crossing right now," said Lathrop, who is considering projecting a citywide calendar of events. But the other neighborhoods may see installations soon. "In those districts you could do a lot more advertising," she said.

While the Washington Street window was relatively small, limiting the size of the projected image, a pilot installation that Dell's team put up briefly on Mason Street was 130 square feet - about the size of the ceiling of a small room. Thin support columns between panels of glass that interrupt the image are no problem, Dell said, often even adding an artistic element by breaking a wall-size frame into pieces.

Rosenthal became involved after he got a call early last year from Dell, who was still living in New York and had read about Rosenthal's huge billboard along the turnpike, on the back of his parking garage. "I said I had to meet this guy," Rosenthal said.

A property owner, Rosenthal saw the potential instantly.

"In real estate, vacancy is your enemy," he said. The ability to advertise on empty windows you already own was compelling, he said, and he signed up another real estate developer, Steve Samuels, to join in developing WindowGain.

"He said, 'Absolutely brilliant. I'm in. Where's the business plan?' " Rosenthal recalled.

Since Dell didn't have one, they collaborated, and WindowGain now has space in Rosenthal's Newton offices. "Windowless space," Dell noted.

WindowGain can project almost anything of visual form: slides, flash graphics, animation, full-motion video, movies. Even RSS feeds from the Web or Web pages can be shown, or "dynamic data," such as headlines that are constantly updated.

WindowGain has agreed to partner with boston.com, the website affiliated with The Boston Globe, which will provide content for six months at the Downtown Crossing locations.

Dell majored in biology in college but has always worked with computers and been a visual artist. When he got that first call in New York from a business wanting to make use of his new advertising system, it was both exciting and disappointing. The call was from a furrier, who wanted to increase sales during the upcoming holiday season.

Dell's longtime business partner is Prem Hira, a friend who helped him start both the New York and Boston companies - and who's a 15-year vegetarian and won't even wear leather shoes.

"We decided we didn't want to do anything like that," Dell said.

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.
Link

So is 'windowgain' actually Dell? Inquiring minds wish to know.

I agree with everyone else, it is better than an empty window but would prefer a real store to generate more activity.

Coming soon to nearly any surface near you a new display technology -- OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode}

also know as light emitting plastic or the ultimate flat panel display -- it consists of plastic that emits light screen printed with addressing lines.

This technology is very close to large-scale roll-out {pun intended} -- it has the advantages of LEDs and plasma over LCD -- i.e. light is emitted

It is very efficient in producing light (think fire flies) and has the further advantages of being very thin, flexible and available is very big sheets ? think wrapping buildings that are being renovated?

OLED still has one major problem with life-time holding it back and some minor ones with matching the colors {different dyes have different intrinsic bright nesses) and its still expensive to do large-scale fabrication ? so far it's limited to smaller than notebook scale commercially -- but in 5 years or less -- the dam will burst ? we should be ready

Westy

Looks like they have some customers other than the City of Boston.

Verizon is pretty confused if they think 745 Boylston St is a "Downtown Location".

Back