Worcester Infill and Developments

First would be perfect. I do wish Worcester pushed back more or design especially in its main core areas.

yes, homewood and 145 front are both so central yet so meh....i've seen better designs go past the board in recent years and in construction now but those 2 were not them.

First would be perfect. I do wish Worcester pushed back more or design especially in its main core areas.

Agreed, though I think the proposal has been scaled back to about 100 rooms. The parcel is pretty compact however, so it can only go up.

No new construction, but WPI and Clark have divvied up the scattered beautiful buildings from the Becker college campus around Elm Park. Hopefully it helps alleviate the housing issues they’ve been facing.

9B801DD2-213B-4674-AF94-69E391E08D4F.jpeg
33ADC4A9-E888-4785-9C89-96260FA3FD98.jpeg
4C4BC2F3-902C-4584-AF36-CE00D67E4CB7.jpeg
B2FD439E-B6F7-4EBD-82E0-48E077F98369.jpeg
920CA670-A05E-46D5-9706-D11B4F114DAB.jpeg
B55718F7-7B24-4140-9184-F523E2F7D881.jpeg
2C30B0B9-A574-443C-8DEE-81908495F40E.jpeg
7CBF921E-5954-4293-A335-2C0AE1278971.jpeg
5372C094-8E88-416F-A67A-A04C237F521B.jpeg

Last edited:
Affordable housing at former Table Talk Pies site now under construction in Worcester’s Canal District
Table_Talk_Pies.png

Worcester officials broke ground Thursday afternoon on the first building in a mixed-use development at the former Table Talk Pies headquarters on Washington Street.

The first phase of the project at 120 Washington St. will be an affordable housing development containing 83 apartments restricted to residents making 60% or less of the area median income.

“This is a marquis space that will help serve as a gateway to the Canal District and Polar Park,” said Mayor Joe Petty at a groundbreaking ceremony held at the site on Thursday.
https://www.masslive.com/worcester/...worcesters-canal-district.html?outputType=amp

Affordable housing at former Table Talk Pies site now under construction in Worcester’s Canal District
Table_Talk_Pies.png

Worcester officials broke ground Thursday afternoon on the first building in a mixed-use development at the former Table Talk Pies headquarters on Washington Street.

The first phase of the project at 120 Washington St. will be an affordable housing development containing 83 apartments restricted to residents making 60% or less of the area median income.

“This is a marquis space that will help serve as a gateway to the Canal District and Polar Park,” said Mayor Joe Petty at a groundbreaking ceremony held at the site on Thursday.
https://www.masslive.com/worcester/...worcesters-canal-district.html?outputType=amp

We have a larger thread for this one here

Another restaurant will soon no longer operate in the Canal District. Buck's Whiskey and Burger Bar will join Broth and the Hangover Pub which both closed in September.

Last edited:
Another restaurant will soon no longer operate in the Canal District. Buck's Whiskey and Bruger Bar will join Broth and the Hangover Pub which both closed in September.

I'll miss bucks..especailly the tater kegs. rough business to be in, especailly these days. Hangover has someone taking over their spot, and Bucks hinted at someone buying it too, but I dont know any specifics

Another restaurant will soon no longer operate in the Canal District. Buck's Whiskey and Burger Bar will join Broth and the Hangover Pub which both closed in September.

That's a shame. I really liked that place. That said, I haven't been there since before the pandemic. The burgers were good though.

That's a shame. I really liked that place. That said, I haven't been there since before the pandemic. The burgers were good though.

Like a lot of places their hours changed after covid, I used to go there after work on Mondays once a month with some friends but they stopped being open on Mondays

Wasn't the opening of Polar Park supposed to be a big boost to the Canal District businesses?
It's been a mixed bag. Boom for some, bust for others. Mostly because they say the ballpark crowd takes all the parking and during gametime there is not much activity out of the park due to it. Pre game and post game a boost though but during prime dinner time some saw a reduction

But a lot of these restaurants reduced hours post covid due to lack of staff and never got back to pre covid numbers. I don't think the ballpark would fix that

Add another Canal District restaurant to the closing list - Smokestack Urban Barbecue's last day of operation will be November 19th. The Green Street restaurant had been in business for over a decade.

Add another Canal District restaurant to the closing list - Maddi's Cookery and Taphouse on Water Street. This is the district's fifth restaurant to announce its closing in the last several weeks as it now joins Smokestack Urban Barbecue, Buck's Whiskey and Burger Bar, Broth, and the Hangover Pub. While the Canal District has had some good spots, its haphazard development has been a drawback. Things have been spread out without being very concentrated resulting in many dead spots. It was thought that Polar Park would attract more businesses and correct that issue. That however is not happening two years in with the area presently taking a step back. Perhaps as people put Covid behind them with life returning to the former normal and new projects are completed, the area can rebound and better meet expectations. Given that the very expensive public cost ($100M+) of the baseball park is tied to tax revenues within the district, Worcester taxpayers better hope so.

Last edited:
Add another Canal District restaurant to the closing list - Maddi's Cookery and Taphouse on Water Street. This is the district's fifth restaurant to announce its closing in the last several weeks as it now joins Smokestack Urban Barbecue, Buck's Whiskey and Burger Bar, Broth, and the Hangover Pub. While the Canal District has had some good spots, its haphazard development has been a drawback. Things have been spread out without being very concentrated resulting in many dead spots. It was thought that Polar Park would attract more businesses and correct that issue. That however is not happening two years in with the area presently taking a step back. Perhaps as people put Covid behind them with life returning to the former normal and new projects are completed, the area can rebound and better meet expectations. Given that the very expensive cost of the baseball park is tied to tax revenues within the district, Worcester taxpayers better hope so.

Covid has also delayed alot of the housing development that was supposed to happen, Phase 1 of the development across the street from the park should have opened with the park, which would have added more residents and retail. and the Cove is currently one large blank lot, that being up would complete green street more and add more retail, street wall and residents.

Residents moving into the first building of 92 grand street. MSCDC affordable housing dev.

View attachment 30761View attachment 30762

Looking into this a bit is this the first new inventory of public housing in the state in decades? Usually they demolish old buildings and replace them with new ones, but it seems that this was just an abandoned lot before that now has new public housing on it. If so this is good to see.

Back