Worcester Infill and Developments

Looking into this a bit is this the first new inventory of public housing in the state in decades? Usually they demolish old buildings and replace them with new ones, but it seems that this was just an abandoned lot before that now has new public housing on it. If so this is good to see.

This is 30-60% AMI housing by a community group, not Worcester Housing Authority. But WHA has a micro housing apartment building for the chronically unhoused in the works

It appears that the days of the Denholm department store building on Main Street are numbered. The redevelopment authority bought the building for $3 million after it was without power for weeks due to deferred maintenance. It was housing offices of various non profit organizations. An RFP favors demolition and redevelopment as housing/mixed use.

C7E7B3EA-097D-49EA-899B-44702A5EBDE7.jpeg

In its heyday:
553F9A01-FBDD-4EA4-8495-3A086C9AE1C0.jpeg
2D61280E-85C1-4F80-972E-FA47C1F7A7B8.png
0B39DFA6-BE3D-47D5-9C7D-CE2B567D83A9.jpeg
9562D223-5E03-4AD2-B0C7-6E16555F1884.jpeg

What is striking in those preceding pics is the mass of people on Main St. Of course, that was before urban sprawl and malls. Today, downtown Worcester is void of people with the possible exception of restaurant activity around Franklin and Front streets.

I liked the older version of Denholm's. It had a German Modernist vibe style.

It is striking to see so many people back then shopping on Main Street. It was before my time as my first memories start in the early 1980's when I attended college in the city. We however had an active Worcester Center Galleria mall with departments stores (JM and Filene's) and several cinema options downtown back then. These sadly exist no where within in the borders of the entire city of Worcester these days.

Last edited:
Just looked up Denholm & McKay. According to Wikipedia, the store's origins dated back to 1870. The Main Street building was once a Victorian style structure from 1882. Its facade was replaced in 1954 with a modern style. It was at one time the largest store of its kind in New England outside Boston and Providence and was long considered the city's premier shopping destination. Worcester's first escalator was installed there in 1963. The store was eventually merged with Gladding's of Providence in 1969 with the entire chain going out of business a few years later in 1973. Denholm's once also had a second location at the Auburn Mall from 1971 to 1973.

Original 1882 facade
1669916443995.png

Last edited:
If the underlying building is from 1882, that may limit any adaptive reuse.

I think adaptive reuse may be cost prohibitive anyways due to all the deferred maintenance.
The RFP is looking for 125 residential units.

My addition to the RFP: The original facade must be reconstructed for any new building ;)

I think adaptive reuse may be cost prohibitive anyways due to all the deferred maintenance.
The RFP is looking for 125 residential units.

My addition to the RFP: The original facade must be reconstructed for any new building ;)

They are looking for residential or a commercial building that will supply a lot of full time jobs

Lab building for Phase III of gateway park. it will have a retail/active use space

Ph3.JPG

It looks like a sketch of the 10 Prospect lab in Union Square Somerville.

More on the Gateway Park Phase III building to be located at Prescott and Salisbury Streets. Some of the building will be leased by WPI which already has several other academic, research, and dormitory spaces in the park.

Took a little under three years, but 383 Shrewsbury Street has been approved by the Planning Board. Can't say it's particularly inspiring from the renders (really wish they kept the "General Machine Screw Products" painted signage on it), but the project is officially named "The Railroad Lofts." Floor plans at the link above start on page 26.

View attachment 21991
View attachment 21992
View attachment 21993

A few photos of the 383 Shrewsbury Street project. (The old General Machine Screw Products building)

DJI_0081.JPG
DJI_0083.JPG
DJI_0085.JPG
PXL_20221210_143410776.jpg

In addition to the renovation at 33 Hermon above, 17 Hermon Street right next door is proposed to be converted into apartments.

It used to be a Reed Organ manufacturing site back in the day

taylor.png

Back