Worcester Infill and Developments

Menkiti Group took the facade off of 204 Main Street a few years ago. Now they're proposing to refurbish the existing 4-story, ±25,000 total square-foot building into commercial tenant spaces and 20 multi-family residential units.

Architecturals: https://www.worcesterma.gov/applica...B-2023-029 - 204 Main Street (DSP) - Arch.pdf

Existing Building & Street View:

204 Main.png
204 Main Rear.png

Menkiti Group took the facade off of 204 Main Street a few years ago. Now they're proposing to refurbish the existing 4-story, ±25,000 total square-foot building into commercial tenant spaces and 20 multi-family residential units.

Architecturals: https://www.worcesterma.gov/applications/boards-commissions/planning-board/PB-2023-029 - 204 Main Street (Defintiive Site Plan)/PB-2023-029 - 204 Main Street (DSP) - Arch.pdf

Happy to see that facade restored!

There was some gentle facade restoration happening on Front Street as well:
E383DB77-7763-4435-9DB2-CBF7CEE17115.jpeg
43F04B19-B618-406C-8385-6DE56DE73D04.jpeg

Looks good. But what happened to the building on the right though? That looks like a loss of an Art Deco front. Bummer

The less said about the Midtown Mall, the better. It was an eyesore in the city's eyes that the city had been trying to get the owner to fix up for years.

Proposed Location

393 Shrewsbury St.png

Not a bad infill - trade a 3 decker and a parking lot for mixed use.

Personally, I would prefer the building to deck over the parking lot in the rear as well, but I can see why they went with a bit of a buffer, as the property backs right up to the Worcester Line.

393 Shrewsbury St. 2png.png

Proposed Location

View attachment 38752

Not a bad infill - trade a 3 decker and a parking lot for mixed use.

Personally, I would prefer the building to deck over the parking lot in the rear as well, but I can see why they went with a bit of a buffer, as the property backs right up to the Worcester Line.

View attachment 38753

Intersted to see what kind of retail they attract as I'm always working for more lumch options since this is walkable from both my house and office, haha

Federal Square in front of the Hanover theater is being expanded to make it more pedestrian friendly. Southbridge Street is rerouted which means the amphitheater and beautiful (non-working) fountain are dismantled, which is unfortunate. All trees have been cut down. The city says it plans to rebuild the fountain and amphitheater elsewhere, but did not disclose where.

Amphitheater, trees last summer:
j6g8cPMh.jpg

Fountain:

A mere four years have passed, and there is finally something to show at Federal/Carroll Square in front of the Hanover Theatre. I’m not sure why the Colonnade, fountain, and mature trees had to go for this, but it is what it is.

8C6DB484-34B3-4D34-B7DD-74D57BCE4150.jpeg
C675A33C-08DB-4F88-A56B-C62395281D95.jpeg

Switch out that ground floor amenity space to retail and plop this on every parking lot on Shrewsbury street.

Switch out that ground floor amenity space to retail and plop this on every parking lot on Shrewsbury street.

The first floor is mostly parking. Which, less than 1 space/unit is kind of interesting for the burbs.

Back