Worcester Plaza

In 1970 Albany must have felt like the whimsical capital of some third world dictatorship. Those things look like the comical cathedral of Yamassoukro or the massive Burmese king statues installed in that country's new jungle capital.

The reason why worcester is cast in such a negative light is due to the fact that it's labeled as crime ridden, dirty, etc. even though its having it's lowest levels of violence in decades but when your labeled "heroin capital of the world" it tends to stick.

Reputationally, Worcester's biggest problem is that it hardly exists to anyone outside New England. Even when someone has heard of it, it's likely he/she can't pronounce it correctly.

I agree, but worcester would be more of a regional destination anyway, it doesn't matter what people outside of new england know or hear, kinda like most small to medium sized cities across the country, nobody outside of the region knows or really cares what happens to them.

I have to weigh in as a native Worcesterite, born and raised. I think folks miss the most obvious benefit of Worcester. In any other city besides Boston Worcester would be considered an attractive commuter distance. I think the future of Worcester is as a Boston suburb, with the attendant investment and amentities that that brings. It's the subtle improvements that I notice every time I visit that really make the difference over the long term. More on topic, while this retro-futristic tower would have been silly on Worcester's skyline, it's proof that modernist architects at least knew how to dream.

Back