Worst 10 Projects of the Decade (2000-2009)

Worst 10 Projects of the Decade (CHOOSE 10):

• 1. Hotel Commonwealth

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • 2. The Silver Line

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • 3. Park Lane Apartments

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • 4. Rose Kennedy Greenway

• 5. One Marina Park Drive

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • 6. St. Elizabeth's Hospital Addition

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 7. Harvard Memorial Dr. Housing (Tripple Decker Component)

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 8. BCEC Westin Hotel

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • 9. Renaissance Seaport Hotel

• 10. Archstone Boston Common

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 11.Seaport Hotel

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • 12. Independence Wharf

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 13. 111 Huntington Ave

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 14. 1330 Boylston Street

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 15. Kenmore Square Bus Shelter

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • 16. BU Biolab

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • 17. The Belvidere

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 18. Mission Main Hope IV

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Boston Convention and Exhibition Center

Votes: 19 35.2%

• Total voters

briv

Reaction score
CHOOSE 10

In no particular order (apologies to photographers, credits coming):

1. Hotel Commonwealth
R36533_EXT_02_J.jpg

2. The Silver Line
MBTA_Silver_Line_bus_1132.jpg

3. Park Lane Apartments
10.jpg

4. Rose Kennedy Greenway
greenway_a.jpg

5. One Marina Park Drive
one_marina_park_dr.jpg

6. St. Elizabeth Hospital Addition
037-3.jpg

7. Harvard Memorial Drive Graduate Student Housing (Triple Decker Component)
P1040268.jpg

8. BCEC Westin Hotel
boston_weston_exterior_blog.jpg

9. Renaissance Seaport Hotel
renaissance.jpg

10. Archstone Boston Common
Archstone-08.jpg

11. Seaport Hotel
exterior.jpg

12. Independence Wharf
atanticave470bostonakaindependencew.jpg

13. 111 Huntington Ave
oneeleven.jpg

14. 1330 Boylston Street
1330_boylston.jpg

15. Kenmore Bus Shelter
kenmore_t.jpg

16. B.U. Biolab
t360_000_0014.jpg

17. The Belvidere
110belvedere01.jpg

18. Mission Main Hope IV
imagesmission-main-boston-small5.jpg

19. Boston Convention and Exhibition Center
bcec_bing.jpg

Re: Worst 10 Projects of the Decade (1999-2009)

I didn't choose ten, I think I only chose 4. It seems to have still worked.

B.U. seems to be well represented.

i don't feel there are 10 in this list that truly should be listed as "the worst"... there might be about 5 or 6 that i will vote for.

I voted only for 2:

1. Hotel Commonwealth
3. Park Lane Apartments

The rest dont bother me (a couple I dont know of). I dont know why 111 Huntington, 1330 Boylston, and The Bevidere would be on the list - I think those are 3 of the better projects that went up.

Last edited:
I voted for three: Silver Line (idea isn't necessarily bad, but execution is); BU Biolab (just doesn't belong in densely populated South End); Archstone Boston Common (a theatre was torn down to build this)

They had to tear down The Rat to build Hotel Commonwealth. Doesn't that deserve some scorn?

maybe you should average the number of votes per person and only have that many "worst projects of the decade."

I really don't get the overwhelming Hotel Commonwealth scorn. Sure, it wasn't superbly executed, and yes it did steal away some of the old Kenmore Sq vibe. But at the same time it isn't really an eyesore (someone from out of town wouldn't pick it out and say that's an awful thing to have) and nor has it torn apart the fabric of the neighborhood. I very often forget it's even there. Could we have hoped for better? Sure. Worst of the decade... really? Must have been a damn good decade in retrospect.

Shep -- Prominent location + insipid design - quality finishes = FAIL

You'll need a lot of dynamite to fix it.

Boston's most cynical project of the last 10 years.

My view is closer to Shepard's. In another five years this building will have faded into the background.

I understand your POV, Ron. I just think that spot deserved better.

The townhouses that were demolished could have been re-purposed. This W Hotel in Midtown does just that on a slightly larger scale.

Every single Joe Fallon development is on this list. All near the top of the list.

Seems he wins "Worst Developer of the Decade" award, hands down.

For that, of course, da' Mayuh awarded him the coveted Fan Pier parcels. He certainly lived up to his reputation there!

I'm also interested to know why people are voting for BCEC. Is it because a massive convention center is a bad use of space? A bad public investment? Is it because it's poorly designed? Bad street interaction? Looks like a giant cockroach from aerial views?

I'm also interested to know why people are voting for BCEC. Is it because a massive convention center is a bad use of space? A bad public investment? Is it because it's poorly designed? Bad street interaction? Looks like a giant cockroach from aerial views?

I'll take one of each, please

I agree with Pierce, all of the above.

I believe it's just too single-minded in its focus, striving to be nothing but a convention center when it should have tried harder to integrate with the city and foster good development around it. Looking beyond its pimped-out awning, it's essentially nothing more than a BIG dumb shed.

I think it was callous to foolishly drop such a gargantuan, super-specialized facility on a neighborhood in its embryonic stages. It pretty much single-handedly defined the Seaport, sealing the area's fate from the very beginning.

I'm also interested to know why people are voting for BCEC. Is it because a massive convention center is a bad use of space? A bad public investment? Is it because it's poorly designed? Bad street interaction? Looks like a b[giant cockroach[/b] from aerial views?
Yeah ... a giant cockroach.

Can't think of a worse symbolism in recent years.

Ugh. !

And Vi?oly's a better architect than the BCEC would suggest.

I prefer the similar facility he designed concurrently in Pittsburgh. The site on the shore of the Allegheny River is certainly more exciting than anything in the limbo of parking lots in South Boston. The asymmetrical catenary curve of the roof relates to the suspension bridges that cross the river.

Back