Logan Airport Capital Projects

Maybe they want to be a hub and not have people actually come from or go to Boston?

I don't understand why they allowed Ubers and Lyfts to drop off curbside only in the mornings. Why not allow curbside drop offs from 10:00pm-10:00am?

As for why taxis are not also subject to drop offs and pick ups in the central garage, the stated reason was that there is not enough room for all 3. Seems to me like this is clearly a favor for taxi drivers who stand to benefit from the convenience of being able to pick up passengers 10 feet from the terminal door.

One of the aspects of this whole situation that grinds my gears is that Massport has been working really hard in the last decade or so to grow Logan's terminal capacity, route map, and passenger count, and they've been proudly touting their (impressive) success. Then they turn around with this shocked and concerned look on their collective faces when they notice that more passengers are also travelling to and from Logan by ground. Well, what did they expect?

It's the culture of MassPort, there in a nutshell, and it's not just about ground travel. Terminal E, built in 1974 with 12 gates handling 1.5 million passengers per year, and today, Terminal E still has 12 gates but handles six million passengers. MassPort invites millions of travelers to use Logan airport but tends to drag it's feet and act surprised when they're caught with their proverbial pants down. The people mover should have been built years ago, as should have more gates at Terminal E been built. And Terminal C, the piers there need major work. Logan's a great airport, MassPort has done well with the improvements they've finished but they just seem to move at glacial speed at times thus putting itself and everyone else in the situation that they find themselves in today.

Still waiting for my NS-Haymarket-Airport Gold Line.

Seems odd to do this just for Back Bay and not implement it for the other Logan Express routes as well.

I am going to guess they may be testing this with the Back Bay route before potentially rolling out out to Braintree, Framingham, Peabody and Woburn. Either way, it's nice to see them making moves to make Logan Express more appealing. If you live within walking distance, or on the green and orange lines, getting off at Back Bay and walking over to the shuttle is a good option.

Last week I took my Lowell Line to North Station but then switched to a Lyft for Canal St to Logan--worked great at beating Tobin-closure-exacerbated rush hour on 93, but a complete failure as far as reducing Logan autos.

Someone posted a rumor about NS Logan Express being announced soon on airliners Boston Thread this weekend.

They already announced that a few weeks ago did they not?

The agency is also working to introduce a curbside Logan Express service for commuters at North Station with connections to the MBTA’s Green and Orange lines and the Commuter Rail. The agency said the fare will be $3 going to Logan Airport and free from Logan to North Station.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massport-proposing-big-changes-to-uber-lyft-rides-at-logan-airport/26900199

Wow! Here's what Massport said directly on March 21st:
By next year, a LEX curbside service will be available for commuters at North Station with connections to the MBTA’s Green and Orange lines and the Commuter Rail. The fare will be $3 going to Logan and FREE from Logan to North Station

I hope they go with a smaller bus running more frequently. Departures every :20 mins for a 10 minute ride to the airport means if you miss a bus you're going to hail a TNC/Taxi and are back in a car.

How do people pay their $3 fare? (do they take CharlieCard value? or Apple/Google/Samsung pay?...something fast and cashless?)

I hope they go with a smaller bus running more frequently.

What does the size of the bus have to do with anything? The cost to operate the route is independent of the vehicle size.

What does the size of the bus have to do with anything? The cost to operate the route is independent of the vehicle size.

4 Reasons why not to use a "standard" LEX ("greyhound style") bus:

1) LEX = 1 door (long dwells); I want all-door unloading at the airport (which goes nicely with airport boarding being free). Smaller bus = shorter dwells

2) Nimbleness > Comfort. I think a smaller bus would do better looping clockwise around Valenti Way-Haverhill St-Causeway-Beverly St

3) Carry your own luggage (fewer steps up). No way is a bus from North Station going to be better if they do they old "driver gets out and helps you stow/retrieve your bus from the under-hatches"

4) Cost can't really be "independent" of bus size. Yes it is mostly about the driver but it isn't "zero" for the bus and fuel

4 Reasons why not to use a "standard" LEX ("greyhound style") bus:

1) LEX = 1 door (long dwells); I want all-door unloading at the airport (which goes nicely with airport boarding being free). Smaller bus = shorter dwells

2) Nimbleness > Comfort. I think a smaller bus would do better looping clockwise around Valenti Way-Haverhill St-Causeway-Beverly St

3) Carry your own luggage (fewer steps up). No way is a bus from North Station going to be better if they do they old "driver gets out and helps you stow/retrieve your bus from the under-hatches"

4) Cost can't really be "independent" of bus size. Yes it is mostly about the driver but it isn't "zero" for the bus and fuel

I can't imagine why they would procure new buses when they have an existing fleet of low-floor accessible buses already running the Back Bay Logan Express... I don't even think high floor buses would work legally with accessibility requirements these days... https://live.staticflickr.com/7660/16571438593_fca57bc13e_b.jpg

^ great! I'll take it.

(Was picturing/rejecting the other style bus that traditionally ran (runs?) From 128 locations)

^ great! I'll take it.

(Was picturing/rejecting the other style bus that traditionally ran (runs?) From 128 locations)

Looking into it, yep looks like they do run more traditional coach style buses for the longer distance routes... Living in the city I had only ever seen the Back Bay ones so that's what I was picturing, I'm assuming (hoping) they'll stick with that for inner city routes

Looking into it, yep looks like they do run more traditional coach style buses for the longer distance routes... Living in the city I had only ever seen the Back Bay ones so that's what I was picturing, I'm assuming (hoping) they'll stick with that for inner city routes

Yep, I was definitely only thinking of the existing Massport Shuttle Buses when I made my remark about cost/length, not intercity coaches. They are articulated with multiple doors and luggage racks. I don't think there is an advantage to choosing a shorter bus.

Hi All - just approved to join the forum after nearly 8 months of reading and waiting :)

It's great that they are expanding Logan Express service, but ideally they'd improve transit (i.e. blue and silver) and people will naturally pivot away from ride hailing. Making uber/lyft slightly more expensive and slightly less convenient will help take cars off the road - but making transit options actually competitive with driving would be a much better solution without any of the backlash:

Not sure why SL1 should take nearly 45m to travel a few miles.. but just off the top of my head, quick fixes to shave off ~10m without much spend:
- Eliminate the double stop at SS (first at the "SL1 airport" signpost, then further up the platform at the SL2/SL3 drop)
- Eliminate the double stop at Silver Line Way (first to change modes, second to let passengers on/off)
- Eliminate the double stop at WTC inbound to SS (first on street-level, then underground)
- Free the police ramp

From cambridge, we have no red/blue connector and an hour trip on SL1 is our only option. No wonder everyone opts for the 15-minute uber instead.

From cambridge, we have no red/blue connector and an hour trip on SL1 is our only option. No wonder everyone opts for the 15-minute uber instead.

Makes you think a Logan Express from Kendall (as the business hub of Cambridge) might be a good idea. Either on its own or combine it with North Station. The silver line simply isn't working anymore for airport access, at least not during traffic-y hours.

Back