One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Re: Hotel Tower | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square

Wow, the tower is actually interesting. I give it 3 months. But if they keep that Im happy with it I like that a lot.

From center plate to *this* proposal is .25km. From center plate to 2 Charlesgate was .35KM.

I get height limits for the airport, I sort of understand the shadow laws, but when a city starts limiting building heights for baseball is when its time to throw in the towel.

I love this. Hope it turns out better then the Pierce (which looked great in renders but turned out meh). Although this building will be a bit smaller, so it won't be as hulking from the side compared to the pierce.

offset windows <3

The pedestrian pass-through is a big win.

I like this project enough, but there are so few parcels that avail themselves to bull-nose flatiron buildings, it is a shame to see them wasted.

677 much needed new hotel rooms, that in itself is a win for the city.

Please let this design stay...pleeeease let this not get destroyed it looks so good.

The pedestrian pass-through is a big win.

I think this (after the look of the main tower) is my favorite part of this project. Two stories of retail around an alley that elevates with a sightline into the park is the exact sort of street-level activation that we all want.
hIPPGXsh.jpg

If you look at this render though, it implies a pedestrian connection across beacon street that does not exist. If the developers and the city could find a way to make large dual crosswalks from the CommAve hotel tower across 4/6 lanes, then this could doubly activate, making the entire 3-building hotel complex feel like one, and permitting pedestrian traffic into Fenway from the north to flow more freely.

This is a good project. But just, good.

A 296' tower on a parcel that can easily go more like 360~390' is a bit 'meh.'

The shadows will fall on less important buildings that can handle a lot of shadow. Therefore; go taller with maximum emphasis on the future planning of Kenmore Square.

Per the usual; it's too much in-the-present-day thinking.

We need some bold, 'wow' down there.

Taller isn't always better. Seems about right. Doesn't overwhelm the square, doesn't impact vista looking down Commonwealth (already marred by the Arc'd Failure). No balconies. Doesn't look like a tall Motel 6.

A bit more height on a handsome building wouldn't be a bad thing at all. As it is though, it seems to have good proportions that emphasize the vertical. Alas it's all academic, as soon as the Sox start squawking (and they will) it gets chopped down to the size of it's frumpy step-sister and given an equally VE'd facade.

Alas it's all academic, as soon as the Sox start squawking (and they will) it gets chopped down to the size of it's frumpy step-sister and given an equally VE'd facade.

If the Sox Organization does push back on height and are successful, are they willing to pony up to the city the lost property tax and revenues which would be incurred due to the reduction of hotel rooms and value of the building?

A bit more height on a handsome building wouldn't be a bad thing at all. As it is though, it seems to have good proportions that emphasize the vertical. Alas it's all academic, as soon as the Sox start squawking (and they will) it gets chopped down to the size of it's frumpy step-sister and given an equally VE'd facade.

I'm fairly confident that the Red Sox won't have a major issue with this project. The condo building next door, however, will fight tooth and nail to keep this from happening. It'll also be interesting to hear what BU says.

I'm fairly confident that the Red Sox won't have a major issue with this project. The condo building next door, however, will fight tooth and nail to keep this from happening. It'll also be interesting to hear what BU says.

I agree that this one is unlikely to perturb the sox. But regarding the building next door - I am pretty sure that's actually a co-op (not that they wouldn't still be against this); however, I'd have to imagine the developer isn't so naive as to not already be in the midst of negotiations with them? Maybe the ownership structure of a co-op makes it easier to negotiate some sort of offset to them?

I can't imagine BU taking an opposing stance to this development or any near the Kenmore Square / Audubon Circle neighborhoods. They've been working with Boston and Brookline for many years to reduce their own footprints in those areas to stabilize residential housing costs for non-BU residents. It would be bad PR for them to take an anti-development stance.

Back