South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

^^NYC, Chicago and Boston are pretty bleak. LA is total dog crap. MLK/Market East Station is a surely better, w/ wide open, high ceiling platform.

Europe went all in on trains. We rebuilt 1/2 the world, and for 50 years, abandoned trains.

Why do you say LA is crap? I think its a nice station, and the platforms are all elevated. I havent been in close to a decade though.

30th station itself is great, but Amtrak is down in the basement. Meanwhile, SEPTA gets a crap waiting area but their platforms are nice. Reading Terminal looked very similar to the Gere du Nord image, but now the trains are underground and the old station is part of the convention center. As far as underground stations go, the platforms are nice because they have about 4 floors worth of air above them.

Newark is a good balance. Aside from maintenance/homeless issues, both the waiting areas and platform are good. Not Kings Cross Good, but good on the US scale.

Your concern is duly noted.

You know, Im busy, but this just encouraged me to start a letter writing campaign to elected officials + transit advocates. Thanks for the push.

I wonder whats more effective, "dont turn South Station into Penn Station" or "dont turn South Station into Back Bay"?

LA; do you like being seated 500' from your stairway? I'm not digging the non-existent/crap restaurants. Nothing shockingly bad. But, by comparison Amtrak stations back East offer better food.

Penn station might be far from the greatest, but, it has incredible food downstairs in the LIRR. Newark has GREAT food. 30th St & Market East have very good food. Washington DC (Great) and Chicago's Union Stations (good) food. Back Bay, Trenton and New Haven all suck. Secaucus Jct. has SBARRO and Dunkies!

Waiting; DC and Philly offer the best waiting.

LA; not freezing to death is a plus.

LA; do you like being seated 500' from your stairway? I'm not digging the non-existent/crap restaurants. Nothing shockingly bad. But, by comparison Amtrak stations back East offer better food.

Penn station might be far from the greatest, but, it has incredible food downstairs in the LIRR. Newark has GREAT food. 30th St & Market East have very good food. Washington DC (Great) and Chicago's Union Stations (good) food. Back Bay, Trenton and New Haven all suck. Secaucus Jct. has SBARRO and Dunkies!

Waiting; DC and Philly offer the best waiting.

LA; not freezing to death is a plus.

Fair point on the LA waiting area being far away, but I believe theyve added food options.

I wouldnt call anything about NYP incredible.

DC has a great food court and is a fantastic station, except for Amtrak's idiotic boarding procedures.

Trenton is fine for its size. I assume its similar to 128 (never got off there).

Of course South Station is a great station. Fantastic exterior, lovely waiting area, decent food court, multiple entrances and exits, and open space.

This project destroys that so someone can put up a generic glass box.

True; South Station deserves near billing with DC and 30th St for waiting.

Save for the super frigid days w/ those nearly painful cold blasts.

*i absentmindedly misnamed Jefferson/Market East Station as MLK/Market East.

Of course South Station is a great station. Fantastic exterior, lovely waiting area, decent food court, multiple entrances and exits, and open space.

This project destroys that so someone can put up a generic glass box.

This project does not touch the exterior. This project does not touch the waiting area. This project does not reduce the number of entrances or exits.

You know, Im busy, but this just encouraged me to start a letter writing campaign to elected officials + transit advocates. Thanks for the push.

I wonder whats more effective, "dont turn South Station into Penn Station" or "dont turn South Station into Back Bay"?

LOL, have at it. I'm sure your concern trolling, bad faith arguments, and lack of punctuation will bring this project to its knees.

This is false as discussed above.

This entire linear parkway will be demolished to make way for a wall of glass

https://goo.gl/maps/z35xd7gPjw82

"Parkway," otherwise known as completely unused space like in Charles River Park. The Greenway is a park, this is pointless suburban "greenery" that isn't needed.

And as we already discussed above, your primary interest in this is not having your precious commute inconvenienced, no matter the consequences for the city and region as a whole.

"Parkway," otherwise known as completely unused space like in Charles River Park. The Greenway is a park, this is pointless suburban "greenery" that isn't needed.

And as we already discussed above, your primary interest in this is not having your precious commute inconvenienced, no matter the consequences for the city and region as a whole.

No, my primary concern is permanently ruining a regional gem to erect the world's most boring tower, one that would blend right into Houston.

Also, I love the hoops your mind jumps through to get from "more people should ride transit" to "who cares if we fuck over transit we get glass wooo"

Grand Central Station is a world famous rail hub but its platforms are anything but. The clear heights are shockingly low. If anything it helps create suspense to leave the platforms and enjoy the main concourse. I think we will be just fine with the tracks being covered. Sure some European design sensibilities would be nice but there are bigger fish to fry then fretting about natural light on the platform.

I'm apparently on the other side.
A train station is a station for trains to enter and leave and pick up and drop off travelers.
If it does that, it works.
I used Penn Station for the first real time last year, and it was great. Why? Because all trains lead there, and it's in the heart of everything.
Did I care I couldn't see the sky? Nope. I could when I got upstairs.
I love the actual building that is he main entrance to South Station, but really don't need anything super fantastic at the platforms. Just a train....
If we had anything like Penn Station in Boston, I'd be thriller. As long as it is Penn station NYC and not Newark.

No, my primary concern is permanently ruining a regional gem to erect the world's most boring tower, one that would blend right into Houston.

Also, I love the hoops your mind jumps through to get from "more people should ride transit" to "who cares if we fuck over transit we get glass wooo"

...I don’t think I’ve mentioned glass a single time. Can you quote me please?

The great thing about stupid, self-serving predictions like yours (that this will “fuck over transit”) is that we’ll get to see you proven wrong in real time.

What do you dislike about Newark Penn?

Besides it being in Newark?
The path separation was a bit of a pain, and the platform I was on was exposed, with a chain link fence, etc. The station itself I guess wasn't as bad as I recall. Just the walk to it at ground level from the Prudential center I guess made it seem worse than it was.

Walking thru the mall and elevated gerbil tubes was ok, but was another reminder of how little there really is in newark. Did get to finally attend an event at the arena I designed anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides it being in Newark?
The path separation was a bit of a pain, and the platform I was on was exposed, with a chain link fence, etc. The station itself I guess wasn't as bad as I recall. Just the walk to it at ground level from the Prudential center I guess made it seem worse than it was.

Walking thru the mall and elevated gerbil tubes was ok, but was another reminder of how little there really is in newark. Did get to finally attend an event at the arena I designed anyways.

If you are going north, PATH is a cross-platform transfer.

If you are going south, it requires going down stairs or a ramp.

None of the platforms in use are exposed, so I am confused about it. You would need a 16 car train to reach the exposed area.

The exterior is marred by horrendous traffic management, agreed.

The gerbil tubes have their pluses and minuses. Great for bad weather, terrible for the street environment. A new company just bought the entire Gateway complex and is supposed to be making them nicer (they look very dated).

They are actually building a brand new park to connect the train station to the Prudential Center. The park near the Pru is under construction. The direct connection onto the Penn Station platforms (using an abandoned elevated rail line) will take longer because you know how Amtrak and friends can drag everything out. The Pru was built on top of a former rail corridor and station (I assume you know that). Its a nice venue!

Current:
20160356eb0c70dfb7f.jpg

Project:
mulberry-commons.jpg

Mulberry%20Commons%20%233v2.png

I mean those are nice fantasy images, but what is set to be built is a bleak cave

For someone who can see the future you sure have trouble winning people over to your point of view, if this thread is any indication. :D

"i'm against the tower" = "i'm against affordable units being built in the City."

Back