South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I'd like to nominate jass for the Strawman Argument of the Year Award. Used to be "Skycrapers in the north end!!!" was the NIMBY go-to saying. Now its "lets turn South Station into LA"!

The funny thing is, the more you unpeel the onion of NIMBYism, the more ridiculous their viewpoint becomes. For too long they had free reign. Thankfully that's starting to turn around.

Just a thought - When you cram that much density, what do you do to offset the inevitable impacts on school systems?

I'm not here to demean the benefits of affordable housing. We absolutely need some in greater Boston. But there are impacts that must be assessed along with them

40B developments alone have overtaxed many a school system.

Real Estate taxes that the apartment buildings bring in can help hire new teachers or build additional classrooms.

With Boston market rate developments the amount of children per household is much lower than it is in the suburbs, and those market rate developments bring in lots in taxes.

IAM thinkin this BESTUS places for FORDABLE MODEL TRAINE STORE!!!

WItH the John's BUll und Hornball trens with karl Marxlin and Ionel modls.
THINK OF THE CHILDREN! IT FOR THEM!

IAM thinkin this BESTUS places for 'em Angry n Joyless Olympics & FORDABLE MODEL TRAINE STORE !!!

WItH the John's BUll und Hornball trens with karl Marxlin and Ionel modls.
THINK OF THE CHILDREN! IT FOR THEM!

f.i.f.y.

Just a thought - When you cram that much density, what do you do to offset the inevitable impacts on school systems?

I'm not here to demean the benefits of affordable housing. We absolutely need some in greater Boston. But there are impacts that must be assessed along with them

40B developments alone have overtaxed many a school system.

I highly recommend people read this in regards to this idea of overtaxing school systems from affordable developments:
https://www.mhp.net/writable/resources/documents/Cost_Benefit_new_housing_3-15-16.pdf

Nothing else matters. A debate between BostonBred and Odur will fill my life with childish giggling joy.

Please make another thread just for this so I can die happy.

cca

Once again, describing the housing market as I have described it, multi-tiered instead of homogeneous. You can keep building luxury condo towers, it will never trickle down to the lowest income tier.

So.....where does the money come from in your opinion to build affordable housing? The sky?

Taxes. The low-rise, mid-rise & high-rise flats + linkage payments fund the BHA,
and affordable production stream. The tax coffers are growing slowly.

btw, some cities/admins only really want a certain amount of affordable units to be built. *i'm not accusin' anyone meninoflynn.....

So.....where does the money come from in your opinion to build affordable housing? The sky?

It comes from forcing the developers of those luxury towers to pay to build it elsewhere in the city, and it comes from improving transit connections across the region to open up less-luxe neighborhoods.

Transit would have the biggest impact for sure unlocking all of those cheaper communities outside the core. Its nuts that in a time where the city is in all time prosperity the transit is a disaster and we cant even do a quarter mile cut n cover for red-blue. The Longfellow even was closed for an extended period giving the perfect window. At least the glx is happening even though they tried to kill it, thats still pretty huge.

^^Is the present dysfunction w/ the State's inability to expand and improve the MBTA, incl projects like West Station not yet happening sound an alarm?

possible causes/signs of more poor service in the coming years?

1. dysfunctional State leadership demonstrated by
2. a deeply flawed funding strategy for the MBTA

3. tax payers outside the 128 belt bullying State officials
4. entrenched inefficiency from poor management + union culture
5. aging infrastructure w/ the bill coming due soon.

Could transit get worse in the coming years? Is the slow go to improve the MBTA a warning sign that Massachusetts is going broke?

Where is the the Northern Avenue Bridge? (i forget the funding stream).

What's the timetable for trains to the Seaport?

Last edited:

Subsidy from the city and state government. Property taxes from new construction are NOT the only source of government funding. Increase the tax rate on the rich/corporations rather than cutting them and use that to fund the subsidies.

Excellent strategy . . . If your goal is to have the rich/corporations take their business and money elsewhere.
Ask NY, CT, NJ and CA how increasing taxes on the most successful has impacted their revenue collection.

Back