The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

[CR-Subway]Wasn't as of Saturday night.
Nor as of 5:45pm Nov 1. Looks like the rumor of 12/1 is correct, which sucks that nobody in government cares to sign deals that treat T users fairly.

Nor as of 5:45pm Nov 1. Looks like the rumor of 12/1 is correct, which sucks that nobody in government cares to sign deals that treat T users fairly.

I too have heard the 12/1 rumor and it seems to be the actual goal. It is absolutely pathetic that DN press releases said October and the MBTA has said absolutely nothing to its riders about the passageway. The communication to riders about this has been abysmal.

or the foreboding that accompanies the corridor's size?

I think we will be OK with the corridors size. The "exit through the gift shop" path will attract/divert/delay enough commuters & sports fans who now will be able to run distracting errands or gape at the LED escalators (and some will even enter/leave the Garden directly by the stairs and escalators rather than come down through North Station, right?)

I have come to believe that the old head house and corridor were so crowded partly because they were the ONLY path offered between commuter rail and Subway. (or maybe the only path on everyone's mental map of how to connect Subway to commuter rail on that side of the building) The exit and entrance through retail will be able to load-share with the under-sized tunnel.

Last edited:
I know there was a lot of concern around high variation between this and ANS but the scale looks massively different from almost every angle with this building being significantly taller. Looks like a monster coming in from 93. Not sure about Phase 3 but if that will be slightly taller than this building it's location in the city may not make it look like such a turd.

Was anything actually opened last night for the Celtics, or did the barricades stay in place??

Here's how I interpret the linked page
(1) All the "ground level stuff" has to wait until December
(2) Game-day patrons can "flyover" (on game days only) by entering from the outdoor Hub and taking the stairs/escalators

I'm reading this passage, in particular:
NORTH STATION COMMUTER RAIL PATRONS: Please continue to use the East and West side entrances into North Station to access the MBTA Commuter Rail. North Station entry through The Hub on Causeway and the pedestrian connection to the subway will open in early December. Please continue to check back for updates.

EVENT DAY ENTRANCE: The new, grand entrance to TD Garden through The Hub on Causeway is now open to ticketholders on event days only.

Is that how you'd read it?

How did they add 500 spots to the North Station garage?

How did they add 500 spots to the North Station garage?

Below street level at Hub on Causeway will be a new grocery store. Beneath that is the new 500-spot parking garage expansion.

They probably added them under the podiums.

Sort of a limited opening:
0L0f2am.jpg

This looks great imo besides the unfinished ground level.

Below street level at Hub on Causeway will be a new grocery store.

I'm weird, but I always consider new grocery store openings to be one of the clearest indications of the societal benefits of density.

The Roche Bros at DTX, the TJs at Assembly, the TJs in Lower Allston, the Whole Foods at Ink Block, this Star Market: they're all clear wins for the community made possible by new dense residential development. The presence of these stores greatly benefits people who don't live in the associated buildings, possible even more so (on the aggregate) than those that do...

I'm weird, but I always consider new grocery store openings to be one of the clearest indications of the societal benefits of density.

The Roche Bros at DTX, the TJs at Assembly, the TJs in Lower Allston, the Whole Foods at Ink Block, this Star Market: they're all clear wins for the community made possible by new dense residential development. The presence of these stores greatly benefits people who don't live in the associated buildings, possible even more so (on the aggregate) than those that do...

You're not weird. My eyes welled up during the opening weekends of the DTX Roche Brothers and the Boston Public Market when I stood in each store. They add a very real degree of livability to these neighborhoods downtown, and to those commuting to/from them.

I learned recently that the residential tower at Hub on Causeway will be exclusively rentals, which--frankly--is the lone complaint I have about the building. Selfishly, I wish it were a condominium so I could buy there one day (and selflessly, because there is a gross shortage of condos for sale in Boston).

Isnt there an even shorter amount of high end rentals though? Wasnt that a selling point here?

110% agree. The additional residents in this (and Avalon NS, and the Garden Garage, etc.) will make picking up groceries easier for thousands of commuters each day. This type of commercial clustering near rail is one of the reasons even lower-density areas in Japan have great transit modeshare, and it should happen here.

That last pic is amazing. it really evokes the look and mood of the site 50 years ago. A great homage to the history of the area.

You're not weird. My eyes welled up during the opening weekends of the DTX Roche Brothers and the Boston Public Market when I stood in each store. They add a very real degree of livability to these neighborhoods downtown, and to those commuting to/from them.

I learned recently that the residential tower at Hub on Causeway will be exclusively rentals, which--frankly--is the lone complaint I have about the building. Selfishly, I wish it were a condominium so I could buy there one day (and selflessly, because there is a gross shortage of condos for sale in Boston).

On the bright side, though, it means there will actually be HUMANOIDS living in those apartments instead of being empty money laundromats for Saudi Royal Family members or Russian oligarchs..

Back