Boston is Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

KentXie

Reaction score
While riding the Red Line going into Downtown, there's a group college students talking about how there are too many Asians in Boston and that they should go back to where they came from, all the while, pretending not to notice my group of friends standing just a few feet away.

What I took from this:

Even colleges are not immune to stupidity.

Re: Downtown Crossing

Well Boston is one of the most racist cities in America.

Well, I know for a fact there are a lot of anti-semetic professors at Northeastern.

This is a well known fact that Boston is pretty damn racist.

True...it exists everywhere. Despite being the great melting pot, I've met some pretty racist people from NYC too.

Also, after spending four years of college down South, I can definitely say it's quite a bit more racist down there haha

I think the "Boston is the most racist city" reputation is more bark than bite. It's mostly due to the problems in the 70s and before (which every single city in the country had) and the fact that demographically, Boston doesn't have many black people. I remember talking about this stuff to my friend and a couple of his cousins (all of whom are black and from Dorchester) and they basically said they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned that Boston was considered to be racist.

Boston consistently ranks at the top for racist cities particularly due to the fact that the city is still deeply segregated. It has been slowly changing over the past couple decades with gentrification, but we're still a very divided city.

Anyways, back to DTX please.

Racist - not especially;

Insular, protective and ethnically-defined neighborhoods - most certainly.

Boston has insular neighborhoods according to racial and class lines. This is true of MANY cities, NYC included.

Eric Fischer's FLIKR census project.

New England in general is absurdly provincial and insular on totally arbitrary political lines besides class, race and ethnicity. We're not a melting pot at all up here in our little corner of the country, but we're generally VERY tolerant towards co-existence. And no, that's not a "separate but equal" sort of thing. It's the way Yankee culture has been ever since the puritans mellowed out into Congregationalists and Unitarians.

Insular, protective and ethnically-defined neighborhoods - most certainly.

That comes off as racist to most outsiders. I'm not saying Boston is unique but when you see how segregated it still is it makes you pause.

How does one remedy a problem largely predicated on economics?

While riding the Red Line going into Downtown, there's a group college students talking about how there are too many Asians in Boston and that they should go back to where they came from, all the while, pretending not to notice my group of friends standing just a few feet away.

What I took from this:

Even colleges are not immune to stupidity.

If you/any of your friends speak any Asian languages, you should have started talking in that language and laughing a lot. Get them real paranoid.

Before we start bandying about this absurd and unfounded idea that Boston is more racist and/or segregated than other major American cities, how about we look at some research rather than rumors?

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-segregated-cities-census-maps-2013-4?op=1

Get your heads out of the 1970s busing crisis, please. Boston's racism/segregation problem is also New York's, LA's, Chicago's, Miami's, Philadelphia's, AMERICA'S racism/segregation problem.

Sometimes its racism, sometimes its vicious economic cycles, but sometimes... its just that people like to be with people of a culture they can identify with or are familiar with.

Now there's certainly problems that need to be acknowledged and worked out, but can't just say everything's racism.

i would admit that i'm racist. we all are. i'd challenge any of you to deny your own deep-seated beliefs. To suggest that a certain geographic area is somehow more racist than another is to ignore fundamental human nature.

To suggest that a certain geographic area is somehow more racist than another is to ignore fundamental human nature.

This is just as absurd as what Van said. Some people are more racist than others and many of them live together in the same geographic area. Boston simply isn't one of those areas.

Go to the deep south. Go to the Ozarks. Western and Northern Michigan. A Ft. Lauderdale country club. Go to those places and be black or hispanic or middle eastern (or indian and mistaken for middle eastern because the ignorant assholes don't know the difference) and tell me that no place is more racist than another or that Boston stands out in America a strongly racist place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back