Motor Mart Tower | 201 Stuart Str. | Park Sq | Boston

CIM Group are beginning the process to redevelop the Motor Mart Garage into a 278 foot residential tower. Nothing formal yet. Article from the Boston Sun attached. I also saw Bldup just posted a brief summary.

http://thebostonsun.com/2017/12/11/tower-may-soon-sit-over-garage-on-stuart-street/

Woah

“The plans are to put the residential building on top of the existing garage,” said Patten. “They won’t change it but just improve the garage and make it look better.”

In addition, the height at 278 feet started a lot taller said Patten. The developers initial plans began at 318 feet but after discussions with the city they settled at its current height.

I hope motor mart tower becomes the official name for this thing. For some reason I find that name really amusing.

Yep.... Nice. Nice name too. Going up over the existing structure seemed the only possible option given the height restrictions. The engineering on it looks to be very interesting.

Should be approved in 75 days. But prolly take a year.

Anyone have pics of what the tower might look like when it's completed? :cool:

Jahvon, as I said above "Nothing Formal Yet."

Would a tower that tall run into shadow issues in the public garden?

Depends how the design the building. I would assume it may but it is a couple blocks back and the western side of garage is further away from the Garden than the eastern side.

another interesting detail from the article:

The same owners also acquired the 200 Stuart Street Garage across the street this past July. The six-level parking structure built in 1972 is connected to the 356-room Revere Hotel. It holds 826 parking spaces and over 10,00 square feet of ground-floor retail space.

Residents of Bay Village speculate that the owners eventually plan to do the same thing over the 200 Stuart Street Garage.

I really like the Motor Mart Garage facade. I hope they don't alter it too much... it's probably the best looking garage we have in the city... probably because it doesn't actually look like a garage.

^ Yep. Motor Mart (agreed it's a great name, like "Bacon Chambers") is one of the few loud and proud art deco structures in the city. They better not mess with those fluted pilasters :)

Would a tower that tall run into shadow issues in the public garden?

At first I was thinking the Four Seasons might block out any new shadows from this, but upon second review it seems both parks would get a good amount of sunlight blocked out. One Charles next door is 179' tall, while nearby Liberty Mutual is 335'.

38108563275_92c5848daa_b.jpg

Ok, I went with the first hit in Google and failed! Gonna edit the post...

I'm under the impression the shadow law law says no "new" shadows not no shadows whatsoever. And I think it's framed as a percentage during <X> time periods isn't it? If you cast shadows it's okay as long as it overlaps with other shadows.

Street level facade isn't very good. The Lincoln Square garage entrance would be a good place for a residential lobby. Everything above that needs to be left alone.

I believe MotorMart is the first garage of it's kind in the country. Am I wrong?

Cool pic.

Be great of they worked in a new sign like that old one.

Oh noes! The shadows. Sadly, the best place for "no shadows" would be the Beacon Hill side of the park, but that obviously would not / should not ever happen.

Back