General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

There is a huge lack of high frequency crosstown routes, especially on the north and east side of Greater Boston. Many crosstown routes like the 21, 86, 89, and 110 have poor low frequencies and long headways. Malden Center has no crosstown connection to the Red Line, and the 411 route is extremely indirect and barely runs.

Getting from Cambridge/Davis Sq. over to Malden/Everett/Charlestown is extremely difficult. The 86, 91, and 89 run 35 - 45 minute frequencies midday, evenings, and weekends. This means to get from Harvard to Sullivan, the faster route would still be to travel all the way to Downtown Crossing, then travel back northbound on the Orange Line. This trip would take about 30 minutes, versus waiting 35 minutes for the next 86 bus and a 20 minute bus ride to Sullivan.
I would like to point out the 86 runs quite consistent 20-25min service for most of the day on Saturdays not 35-45. That’s my local ride or die route a can’t let it be misrepresented it’s come in absolutely clutch numerous times with how late it’s runs and how many key destinations it connects to

I'm glad we're finally taking at look at how to make up for the inevitable decline of gas tax receipts. I deeply hope that as we transition to (most likely) some form of VMT tax that we retain the gas tax and shift it entirely towards investments in cleaner forms of transportation.

Streetsblog makes an excellent point about the operating deficit. Though I think its worth noting that its not inevitable that ridership remains forever depressed. My optimistic hope is that as the T begins to return to a state of functionality in 2025 and beyond that farebox revenue recovers and this heightened level of funding remains.
Given Eng and the MBTA's roadmap on slow zone elimination, and performance so far, I'd be warily optimistic for things to get functional at some point late this year, provided they can finally get ahead on hiring that is limiting current headways (even if we didn't have the other limiting factors such as slow zones and rolling stock).

I think the big question is if the Orange/Red order can ever get back on track at all, along with the signal system replacement projects. I'd argue the red needs the signals at this point, and the orange really needs rolling stock to take things up a notch after the slow zones and dispatcher shortages.

That said, I fully agree that I think ridership will pick back up, as long as the slow zones go away and headways can scale back up to actual rapid transit levels.

Given Eng and the MBTA's roadmap on slow zone elimination, and performance so far, I'd be warily optimistic for things to get functional at some point late this year, provided they can finally get ahead on hiring that is limiting current headways (even if we didn't have the other limiting factors such as slow zones and rolling stock).

I think the big question is if the Orange/Red order can ever get back on track at all, along with the signal system replacement projects. I'd argue the red needs the signals at this point, and the orange really needs rolling stock to take things up a notch after the slow zones and dispatcher shortages.

That said, I fully agree that I think ridership will pick back up, as long as the slow zones go away and headways can scale back up to actual rapid transit levels.
Red actually needs rolling stock as well. Not only because the older cars are falling apart in droves, but because you cannot make optimal use of the new signals without the new CCRC cars.

Red actually needs rolling stock as well. Not only because the older cars are falling apart in droves, but because you cannot make optimal use of the new signals without the new CCRC cars.
Oh, yeah, fully agree - I mean more to get headways somewhat back to normal pre-pandemic levels which the old cars (if they hold together) should be capable, vs the Orange which simply doesn't have enough cars to really hit anything near peak headways that it needs to get ridership back.

Also on the note of just covering the budget shortfalls: wasn't that predicted to be more in the $400-500m ballpark? Is so the added $1.2b is still a decent increase in funding.

Work crews were at it on the GL viaduct in the freezing cold on a Sunday (today, 1/21), so it is at least nice to see them making solid use of the GL shutdown period. Hoping this will net us a few MPH more on the already much-improved viaduct? Or at least bolster reliability...

lvd-1-2.jpg

Work crews were at it on the GL viaduct in the freezing cold on a Sunday (today, 1/21), so it is at least nice to see them making solid use of the GL shutdown period. Hoping this will net us a few MPH more on the already much-improved viaduct? Or at least bolster reliability...

View attachment 46950
I hope they can fix the North Station - Science Park slowzones. Otherwise, those slowzones are gonna stick around for a while with no upcoming closures in this part of the Green Line for a long while.

The MBTA expects that approximately 60,000 riders could enroll in the program, and that reduced fares for those customers could generate a significant boost in systemwide ridership.

"The complete fare change package is projected to yield an annual increase of 8 million trips (2.5 percent) at full scale," according to a slide in Povich's presentation to the MBTA board on Friday morning.

Expecting 60,000 riders to contribute an additional 8million trips annually translates an expected increase of 133 trips per year per rider. Is it just me or does that seem incredibly overly optimistic?

Expecting 60,000 riders to contribute an additional 8million trips annually translates an expected increase of 133 trips per year per rider. Is it just me or does that seem incredibly overly optimistic?
That's about 0.37 extra trips per day, or 0.18 round trips per day (1.28 per week). Which sounds fine to me when considering these low-income riders probably lack other alternatives for travel.

That's about 0.37 extra trips per day, or 0.18 round trips per day (1.28 per week). Which sounds fine to me when considering these low-income riders probably lack other alternatives for travel.
Isn't that already the user base though? They expect a heavy increase from functionally the only group that specifically depends on the T as their mode. I agree with @KCasiglio on this one being a stretch.

Reactions: W-4

"The complete fare change package" suggests to me that the 8 million figure is including other changes, not just the half-fares. I'm not sure if this is referring to the fare transformation project or something else?

The slide deck from the subcommittee meeting shows only two other minor changes in this package—the elimination of "change tickets" issued for overpayment at fareboxes (which is the last remaining use of the old magstripe CharlieTickets) and extending the $10 Commuter Rail weekend pass to also cover holidays. So I expect that the vast majority of that projected 8 million trips is indeed due to the low-income fare program.

Despite having about 1,690 of all 1,823 budgeted positions filled, the MBTA still only has 1,450 active operators running the T's bus system, only 79% of pre-COVID levels. This is 5 months into the new contract for bus operators.

Last edited:
I've been compiling a list of anywhere from somewhat interesting to very interesting things to see on the T, I'm not sure if anyone has suggestions for things I've missed?

Cool rides:
  • RL over Longfellow Bridge, obviously
  • GL-D to Union Square past the yard and over the Lechmere Viaduct
  • Mattapan Line (10/10 would recommend.) In my experience it's also free since the drivers never bother collecting fares lol
  • BL around the Bowdoin Loop
  • Look out the RL windows to see the old station at Harvard
  • Taking a bus through the Harvard Bus tunnel and/or Silver Line Transitway
  • Cruise past traffic along the Columbus Ave bus lanes
  • E branch in mixed traffic

Things to see:
  • Somerville Community Path over the CR and GL maintenance facilities
  • Wellington skybridge over the OL yard
  • Riverside and Reservoir carhouses
  • Go to Wards Maps (Near Porter)
  • Mattapan Carhouse
  • Look out over Cabot Yard on Traveler St
  • The SW corridor path

"Secrets"
  • 3rd unused express track at Sullivan/Wellington/CC for unrealized Reading extension
  • Old streetcar tracks at Suffolk Downs
  • Trolley poles along Centre/South Sts in JP (Possibly now gone)
  • B/C branch track connection along Chestnut Hill Ave
  • Tunnels formerly connected to the Washington St Elevated at Chinatown
  • Old GL maps at Symphony and Prudential showing "Temporarily suspended" Arborway service
  • Disused tunnels now used for storing old streetcars at Boylston, and the portal buried under Eliot Norton Park
  • The "Scolly Under" mosaics at Government Center
  • The rarely used turning loops at Government Center (Brattle Loop), Kenmore, and Park St
  • The pocket track at Blandford St used for short turns
  • Spanish solution platforms at Park St
  • Secret entrance to Back Bay OL from Copley Place
  • The Winter St Concourse between Park and DTX
  • The weirdness of the RL split at JFK/Savin Hill, a remnant of the more car commuter focused origin of the line
  • MBTA emergency training center on Foundry St near Broadway station actually uses the disused streetcar platforms and tunnel
  • A Branch trolley pole at Newton Corner and tracks at Watertown Yard
  • Former Massachusetts station façade on Newbury St
  • Side platforms at Reservoir

Cool stations:
  • North Station with its cross platform transfers
  • Airport because it looks cool
  • Charles/MGH for the views
  • Kendall/MIT for the Kendall Band
  • Porter/Harvard for their stacked Platforms
  • Porter for the long escalators and art on the way down
  • Newton Center and Newton Highlands for the old station buildings
  • Forest Hills for the station building
  • Shawmut for the station building and "Tunnel trains" sign
  • Maverick for the BL map

• The pocket track at Blandford St used for short turns
Northeastern has a pocket track too.

Other additions (feel free to edit your post to add them if you want):
  • Chinatown's and State's tracks with elevation offsets
  • Maverick's ultra-wide platform
  • Wonderland's outbound terminating platform not being inside paid area at all, and turnover after the station, the only instance on the entire system
  • Orient Heights having busways on both sides of the platform, with pedestrian bridges in both paid and non-paid areas
  • Remnant columns of Orange Line El crossing the Mass Pike
  • Kenmore having an exit in the middle of the street connecting directly to the busway (the exit also looks very cool)
  • The contrast of platform designs on the B branch: Unique platform shelters at BU Central (and possibly BU East/Blandford?), modern LRT stations at Amory and Babcock, and barebone legacy stops from Packards Corner onwards
  • Riverside having an "elevated" station with fare gates, the only such instance on GL surface branches
  • Fenway's platforms under a bridge, from where you can see the portal just underneath a building
  • Look out from GL windows between North Station and Science Park for the small yard while the main tracks start climbing
  • Lechmere Viaduct, viewed from both street level and Science Park station
  • Orange Line's short duck-under tunnel north of Wellington to make room for the freight track spur
  • Government Center's new headhouse, with glass exterior changing colors between green and blue at night
  • State station having an exit within the Old State House
  • Red Line's flyovers between the Ashmont and Braintree branches mixed with the Old Colony track, viewable from a few bridges, most notably Dorchester Ave and Columbia Rd
  • The old Washington St El's Dudley station structure being reused for Nubian bus station's overhead building
    • Also, the bus berths map at Nubian has the old route 25 (28 short-turn at Franklin Park)
  • Riding the Red Line over Neponset River
  • Riding the Orange Line over Mystic River
For a few bus-specific ideas:
  • City Point terminal with boarding areas within a small bus yard
  • Fellsway Garage with the old MTA building
  • Left-running bus lanes for SL4 on Essex St without stops
  • The 4 bus having a complete mess of a route with 4 variants (AM/PM, inbound/outbound), but hey, it's the only bus that serves North end (and the only bus that runs through downtown Boston)
  • Forest Hills's lower and upper busways
  • McGrath/Washington St flyover having a bus stop underneath, for the inbound 80/88/90
  • Mattapan's south busway being integrated with the trolley yard
  • Riding the 111 and 426 over Tobin Bridge
  • Express bus rides: 500 series on the Pike from Newton Corner, 450 through Sumner Tunnel, 354 on I-93
  • Riding the 1 bus over Harvard Bridge
  • Heath St with the 14 bus parked together with E branch trolleys, often on one of the tracks

Last edited:
State station having an exit within the Old State House
This might be my favorite architectural gem in the whole city. It's the same building serving new purposes across three centuries. It's some great combination of historical preservation and "Look, we've got shit to do." Multiple times, I've been around there with friends from out of town. We hear some snippets of a walking tour ("... Redcoats stationed in this building..."), then they're surprised when we walk through the basement of a national landmark to catch a train.

Pocket track at Quincy Center, which I assume dates from when the extension only ran to Quincy Center. Don't think I've ever seen it used.
Inspection pit track at Park Street
MoW pockets at Conley and Fenway
Some of the TT wire is still present on the 71/72/73/77A routes
Homage to the El on the GLX viaduct connection
Boarding at Bowdoin (first 2 cars aren't on the platform, use button)
Power changeover at Airport
Provision for Post Office Square extension (was more interesting when 3417 was parked there)
On the Green Line keeping an eye out for the 4360/4366 can be interesting as they're often stashed on non-revenue trackage throughout the system
I love the windows at Charles that have a very Beacon Hill vibe
Bus network is designed to move people onto rapid transit network or between outer neighborhoods, with only a few routes terminating downtown. The routes that offer through service within the core are extremely limited.

Charlestown and East Boston ferries are also free with any 1A pass and have great views.

Don't they kick people off at Bowdoin?

Trolley poles along Centre/South Sts in JP (Possibly now gone)
The E Line rails are poking through the asphalt down by the Arborway intersection again on South St kinda by the auto body shop.

I’m surprised it hasn’t been said (unless I missed it) but the entire old Boylston entrance to Hynes is still extant just gated off

The MBTA will likely be fine up to Election Day, but uncertainity of the MBTA would arise past Election Day and into national Inauguration Day next year. (in simple terms... past this year)

Gov. Healy will only double a line item that provides operational support to the MBTA. This mostly eliminates FY25's fiscal cliff, but not the entirety of it. It also wouldn't allow expansion of the MBTA's bus operator headcount past the original 1,823 positions beyond this year due to the fiscal cliff.

More details at the MBTA board meeting today, but this is the key takeaway from the StreetsBlog MASS article. (Sorry if there is any mistakes, it's quite hard to parse through for me)

All told, these state funds are expected to cover about two-thirds of the T's operating expenses this year. Fares, municipal contributions, and federal funding will cover the remainder.

But next year, the T faces two significant challenges.

With more people on its payroll, higher wages, a new South Coast Rail line to operate, and other initiatives, the T expects to spend considerably more next year.
According to a press release from the Governor's office, the proposed $314 million transfer to the MBTA from the Commonwealth Transportation Fund is "doubling the $127 million in direct operating support in FY24 and maintaining $60 million for pay-go capital."
New funds won't expand service, but will balance the budget

If Governor Healey's proposal becomes law, her "doubling" of that transfer, plus the $45 million earmarked for low-income fares, would come pretty close to erasing the deficit – at least for this year.

Back