đź”· Open Thread

Heard your band earlier on 92.9, probably around 6:15. Can't say I'm a frequent listener of that station so I wouldn't know if that's a frequent occurrence but congrats nonetheless on hitting the mainstream.

50a642c3b3fc4b46eb000053_galaxy-soho-zaha-hadid-architects-by-hufton-crow_zh_galaxy_soho_070-1000x978.jpg

508ee0b528ba0d7fe700000a_galaxy-soho-zaha-hadid-architects_galaxy_soho_launch_oct2012_-3--1000x666.jpg

I came.

Those are renderings. Those windows as designed aren't going to be getting much direct natural light either. Zaha produces sculpture, not architecture. Her buildings don't work that well for their intended purposes. She's no different than Paul Rudolph, though in his case the plans typically did work for able bodied people. The mechanical and waterproofing systems not so much.

Those are real pictures of the finished product. But otherwise I agree with everything Lurker said.

Something about the lighting and shadows don't look real to me.

Lurker, I'm sure those photos got run through a ton of post processing, but you can go Googling for yourself....it more or less looks like that in real life (!)

Fucking weirdo ...

Tufts 'dumpster diver' looks to open cafe to serve discarded food

A Tufts University student that searches dumpsters behind grocery stores and makes meals with what he finds wants to open a 24-hour cafe to serve the food for free.

Maximus Thaler is the founder of The Gleanor's Kitchen, which prepares meals most nights a week at the Craft House, a cooperative living house on the Tufts campus. Thaler has launched a Kickstarter in the hopes of raising $1,500 to open a cafe this summer, which would host events like academic lectures, crafts workshops, and poetry, Thaler says in a video accompanying the Kickstarter. And, of course, there would be a daily meal made from the items discarded by grocery stores.

The Gleanor's Kitchen name comes from Ruth, a character in the Old testament who gather bits of grain left behind in fields for her family to use.

"In today's modern, industrial, capitalist society, gleaning takes on a new meaning," Thaler says in the video. "Some of us call it dumpster diving."

The video shows Thaler and others rifling through a grocery store dumpster in the night, finding a box full of fruit and vegetables, a carton of 11 eggs, yogurt and sealed coffee grinds.

"The things we find, are jaw dropping," Thaler says.

Anything unusable is discarded, while edible items are cleaned and prepared to be served.

In an interview with Jim Braude and Margery Eagan on WGBH radio, said any donations -- along with the Kickstarter, Thaler also accepts donations at his dinners at the Craft House -- will go to opening a cafe.

"If you're donating to me you're donating to the space I'm creating, not the commodity I'm producing," he said.

http://www.boston.com/yourcampus/ne...erve_discarded_food.html#sthash.FoZGajh0.dpuf

Awww...isn't that adorable.

What a jackass. When I was in Kolkata last week I saw lots of people doing the same thing for real.

That's like something straight out of Portlandia.

I don't know where to put this film of Gloucester from 1955, so I'm putting it here.
watch

Camberville has the perfect demographic (hipsters) that would really enjoy being patrons to this cafe. I support its mission too and would be open to trying it after a month or so and reviews had been posted. So much perfectly good food is wasted everyday and if they can manage to prove their sanitary standards for using this discarded food to the Board of Health, then I'm all for it.

Back